Sponsored by:

Motor mounts.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 07:29 PM
MTB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Most people also get a invalid/biased opinion since they are usually replacing an old worn or blown out mount/mounts with a new stiffer one.

Yes, they transfer more vibrations which = some more noise.
Yes they make the car handle better, shift better.

Each individual must decide if the compromise is good for them. I like the RS mounts and feel they are a great compromise from doing a solid mount.

Solid mounts are good for race cars provided that they get looked at and nut n bolted every weekend, and also have parts cycled out based on time before failures occur. But solid mounts don't belong on street cars, IMHO.
+1
definitely shift better especially after a sharp turn. I had the RS mount of both my P cars. Street ride did not bother me.
BTW. I bought the parts at Sunset a few yrs ago and were fair a bit cheaper.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:43 PM
jr2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BruceP
Anybody here running the RS mount?
Just started a thread on my RS engine mount installation -- just had the first drive after and my response is WOW! Rock-solid feel, esp going over bumps, and meshes well with the upgraded suspension (PSS9/GT-3 sways/links).

Well worth the $400 for the parts from Suncoast [look under "Engine - Performance" on the parts list] and $144 labor charge from my independent.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:50 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jr2
Just started a thread on my RS engine mount installation -- just had the first drive after and my response is WOW! Rock-solid feel, esp going over bumps, and meshes well with the upgraded suspension (PSS9/GT-3 sways/links).

Well worth the $400 for the parts from Suncoast [look under "Engine - Performance" on the parts list] and $144 labor charge from my independent.
so like how is the ride quality on the street? what do you notice most about them when taking hard corners... does it reduce lean at all? quicker steering input?
Old 10-29-2010, 01:38 PM
jr2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tbred911
so like how is the ride quality on the street? what do you notice most about them when taking hard corners... does it reduce lean at all? quicker steering input?
less flex over bumps, shifter seems more directly connected (also replaced the stock plastic linkage with an aluminum billet linkage), cornering seems more composed

best way to say it that car feels more like a single block of metal -- more of a "unified" feel of driving one solid mass instead a bunch of parts screwed together, if that makes any sense [may all be in my head, but I like it!]
Old 12-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

So the parts and cost to do the Turbo mounts are?... Do you need longer bolts? My car has 80K on it.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:33 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Just ordered mine....
Old 12-02-2010, 07:36 PM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
So the parts and cost to do the Turbo mounts are?... Do you need longer bolts? My car has 80K on it.
Got mine here...no other parts needed...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...item20aacc6b34
Old 12-02-2010, 10:44 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FLY996
Got mine here...no other parts needed...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...item20aacc6b34

Those appear to be the turbo mounts not the RS mounts. The RS mounts are a little stiffer and will come with some washers and bolts. In my opinion the RS mounts are the way to go.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:50 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Those appear to be the turbo mounts not the RS mounts. The RS mounts are a little stiffer and will come with some washers and bolts. In my opinion the RS mounts are the way to go.
Over the Wevo semi solid?
Old 12-02-2010, 11:02 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Wevo mounts are nice... But, I have too agree that the RS mounts are the better option.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:12 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Over the Wevo semi solid?
Yes, I do like it (RS) over the Wevo semi-solid, but let me explain that. For a race only car I think the Wevo's are fine although I do think they are stiff enough to add a few issues into the equation.
First, I have seen where a solid, and the Wevo Semi solids create a vibration that actually will trigger the knock sensor into backing power out. I have also seen where they do NOT cause this. Without a firm reason as to why they did it (exhaust frequency, maybe weaker knock sensor, etc etc ) I prefer not to run them to have the possible issue.
Second, I feel they transfer to much vibration thru the car which can,or will at some point, cause other failures.
Third, gogin so stiff in the eng mounts mean a greater strain on the trans mount which then causes it to fail. I know, just use the Wevo there then too right ? Ok, but then see issues 1 and 2 at an even greater degree.

I think, just my opinion, that the RS mounts offer a much greater feel and stiffness without creating any of the negitive potential of the other options.
Wevo makes great products no doubt or question there.
It's like everything we do , it's a compromise, and I will lose the last 10% of stiffness difference to not have to worry about the other potential downsides.
No if I had some unlimited cash flow customers that could replace parts every race or few races then I would be using solid Cup mounts, but thats an unlimited budget, no expense spared customer that wants to win at ALL costs. - If you know any of those guys, please send them my way.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:02 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Old thread, I know, but seems to be the best one on the subject for regular 996s, so why start a new one?

Anyway, anyone know of any advantages to the Turbo mounts? If they transmitted noticeably less vibration / created significantly less noise than the RS mounts, they might be a good solution for some. (Or better yet if they did not create noticeably more vibration or noise that stock.)
Old 04-19-2015, 09:20 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

The Turbo engine mounts are no different than the "standard" OEM mounts.

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:06 PM
Manley
Intermediate

I need mounts but I am wondering if a floating feeling from the rear is more likely from the mounts or the rear suspension on a slightly bumpy, 70mph sweeper. I really think it's the mounts but have never owned a rear engine car and have been driving with coil overs for the last 10 years. I may just be looking for a reason to get the ROW suspension.

The car feels great in every aspect except this one. It feels like there is a 200lb ball rolling around in the rear during this time. That is an exaggeration but I think you know what I mean.

Quick Reply: Motor mounts.