Sponsored by:

997 GT3 shifter

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 03:20 PM
jr2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 GT3 shifter

Have an OEM 996 short shifter (dealer-installed 25,000 miles ago by prior owner; parts price $512 + $190 labor); any views on upgrading to a 997 GT3 shifter and a Schnell billet aluminum shift linkage (instead of the OEM plastic version) for $400 in parts from Suncoast?

Seems like a relatively inexpensive upgrade while keeping relatively shorter throws; I like the OEM short shifter, tho it is a bit stiff when cold.

Am also getting RS engine mounts, so will hopefully tighten up feel while getting more fluidity in shifts.

Anyone interested in the used OEM short shifter + an extra (new) OEM shift linkage (from the new GT3 shifter)?
Old 10-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

picture?
Old 10-18-2010, 09:04 PM
nijoma
Advanced

Default I would be interested in the oem linkage

Interested in selling it by itself. I have the EVO upgrade similiar to the schnell, I find it to be notchy and want to put an oem one back in. I have a 997 shifter in my 996 and that is a great upgrade, how different is the GT3?
Old 10-19-2010, 02:48 PM
jr2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nijoma
Interested in selling it by itself. I have the EVO upgrade similiar to the schnell, I find it to be notchy and want to put an oem one back in. I have a 997 shifter in my 996 and that is a great upgrade, how different is the GT3?
I have not yet done the swap (and thus don't yet have pix) -- would be interested in hearing from anyone who has gone to the 997 GT3 shifter or, like yourself, has used the billet linkage.

By "notchy" do I take it that you found the billet linkage to have less side to side play and thus require more exactly aligned shifts, or that it required more effort to push the shifter into the next gear?

The Suncoast website says that the 997 GT3 shifter is identical to the regular 997 shifter (which itself "reduces the shift throw by 15% over the stock version" -- perhaps they are referring to the 996 stock version), but the plastic shift bushings are replaced with billet aluminum (http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...de=996gt3trans ).

With respect to the OEM 996 short shifter (which SunCoast has for $430), they say "this short-throw gearshift mechanism offers a reduction in lever travel of approximately 20%", again presumably from the 996 stock version -- did you find the base 997 shifter was that much shorter than the stock 996?

However, the Porsche website GT3 transmission description (http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...l/?gtabindex=2) says that "the gear-lever throw is short and precise, enabling fast and accurate gearshifts", which would imply that it is shorter than the regular 997 shifter (if greater than the 15% for the 997 shifter, perhaps it would be in the 20% range). The Suncoast parts guy assures me that the GT3 kit is identical to that installed on the new GT3s as stock for it.

When I do the switch, I will have the used 996 OEM short shifter and an extra new OEM linkage from the new GT3 shifter -- don't know what would be fair for the OEM linkage alone, but would be open to reasonable suggestions.

Last edited by jr2; 10-19-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:27 PM
nijoma
Advanced

Default I like the 997 in the 996

I found it was not sloppy like the 996 shifter, I do not think there was much reduction just easier and cleaner to shift. The linkage is a great upgrade but my wife finds it harder to shift so I am going to put the stock linkage back for her. The linkage is by Agency Power, I was not happy with the Scnell, I had one come apart on me, they sent a replacement but I went with the Agency one which was 99.00 vs 40.00 for the shnell but I liked the quality better. It takes more of the play out of the shifting, I like the result my wife hits third way to often thinking it is first gear. I figure it is cheaper to go back to the oem linkage then replace a clutch. I would reccomend the upgraded linkage but check out the agency one.

Last edited by nijoma; 10-19-2010 at 09:56 PM.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 shifter