996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Porsche sport classic duck tail

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 09:01 PM
jpcork40
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks good, Looking forward to see it painted to match the car. What make is it?
Old 03-20-2015, 09:07 PM
jetson8859
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 996pp
That looks really good. I actually like the contrast of the seal gray with silver.
Actually toying with idea of painting sides body color and either leave top seal gray or paint it classic black
Old 03-04-2023, 09:02 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2300cc
Does anyone know if the MA Shaw Ducktail spoils the aerodynamics of a stock 996?
Originally Posted by redridge
they all do.... good or bad.
So all ducktails, good or bad, spoil the aero of a stock 996? Or ... ?

Can you let us know the basis for this conclusion? I've tried finding info on the aerodynamic effect of a ducktail, but no luck.

What I do know is that the 997 sport classic is 2 km/h (or was it mph - can't remember) slower than the 997 GTS which I believe has no mechanical differences that could affect top speed, suggesting the difference is aerodynamic. But, the ducktail is not the only aerodynamic difference. There's also the bubble roof and different side sills (and bumper? again, it's been a while).

Then there's last year's 996 Classic Club Coupe. Porsche always says that if you buy different aero for one end (e.g. one of their bumpers or wings), you need to buy matching aero for the other end, or else the car will be unstable. So if, for instance, you buy an aerokit bumper, you should buy an aerokit wing. Yet here they've put an aerokit bumper on in the front, and in the rear, instead of the wing, they put a ducktail. And if I recall correctly, they tested the car in both a wind tunnel and at (very) high speed at Nardo. Since they found this combination OK, that suggests the ducktail results in less lift than the standard rear end. And the effect on drag? Who knows? One article said the car goes 190 mpg, same as the 996.2 GT3 with the same engine, suggesting the ducktail has no more drag than the GT3 wing (and therefore probably no more than a standard rear end - probably). But no source was cited, and all the other articles I saw just said Porsche says at least 180 ... .
Old 03-05-2023, 04:17 AM
hardtailer
Pro

Received 282 Likes on 189 Posts

Porsche offers the aero kit front with a full width lip underneath with both
-rear cup wing
-rear fixed carrera wing

The combo on the classic club aero kit front and ducktail has a lip that does not extend to the sides (see https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post18104314) and compared to the GT3 lip only about half as high.

Lip on GT3

This means the ducktail negates rear lift less (iow provides less downforce) than either cup or fixed carrera wing as they had to add only a little lip to the front in order to achieve the aero balance between front and rear.

Cup wing will have greatest drag as the stays of the wing stick out from the side thus increasing frontal area.
Ducktail probably about the same as fixed carrera wing but more than stock retractable wing.

Last edited by hardtailer; 03-05-2023 at 04:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rs10 (03-06-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 06:31 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 1,846 Likes on 891 Posts

Since we’re reviving a 8yr old thread, I can say it’s negligible. Having both a GT3 and RPM Technik, I haven’t noticed a difference at speed and while wringing the car out at the Dragon. I do have a GT3 bumper with a Cup style(DemonSpeed) lip. Think you should probably send Rpm Technik an email because all their CSR cars have Ducktails.
damage98MO (03-06-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 07:41 AM
yoonietang
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Since we're here, can anyone recommend a a ducktail for an NB 996? The RSR is great but a little pricey for me.
Old 03-06-2023, 08:04 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hardtailer
Porsche offers the aero kit front with a full width lip underneath with both
-rear cup wing
-rear fixed carrera wing

Very interesting! I had no idea such a Carrera wing is (was?) available from Porsche, nor the matching lip spoiler. Not sure it beats a ducktail for looks (though it's pretty hard to see what it looks like). But I don't really care, and they at least claim aerodynamic benefits. (Drag? lift? Given the need to add the front spoiler, probably at least lift). They've never claimed that for a ducktail (on a modern Porsche). (Or have I missed something??? They offer ducktails for 991s and, I think, 992s. I think I've seen their descriptive text for the 991 version. I even contacted a dealer pretending to own a 991 and asked about the aero impact. They were unable to find out.)

I guess the silver wing is the same as the wing on the blue car? And the same side skirts are used whether with the cup aerokit or the carrera wing and lip spoiler?

Actually, I copied this image and enlarged it, but the image quality is such that it makes it hard to make out the part numbers or the model references (e.g. "post ...models", or "models from ..."). Is there any way you could post a larger or higher quality image?

Thanks!

Last edited by rs10; 03-06-2023 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2023, 08:14 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
Since we’re reviving a 8yr old thread, I can say it’s negligible. Having both a GT3 and RPM Technik, I haven’t noticed a difference at speed and while wringing the car out at the Dragon. I do have a GT3 bumper with a Cup style(DemonSpeed) lip. Think you should probably send Rpm Technik an email because all their CSR cars have Ducktails.
Hi, could you clarify this a bit for those of us who are easily confused? For instance, if "it's negligible", what's "it"? And you've had both a GT3 and RPM rear aero, or whole aerokit, or ... ? Or put another way, when you say you haven't noticed a difference, that's a difference between what car (or aero setup) and what car/setup? And difference refers to top speed, or lift, or ... ?

Also - sorry if it's a silly question - but what's the Dragon and how fast do you get there? (I rarely track my car - I have something else for that - but I do drive on Autobahns. And while I can't in any way explain why this should matter, it would nonetheless greatly annoy me if putting a wing or ducktail on my car reduced the top speed by even a single kmph.)

P.S. I have already been in touch with RPM. They have never tested their ducktail. No one has tested a ducktail. Except Porsche. One of the few things that annoy me about their relationship with customers is that they force us all to do all this generally imperfect research and speculation when they could just share what they know.

Last edited by rs10; 03-06-2023 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-06-2023, 08:38 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,348 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by rs10
Actually, I copied this image and enlarged it, but the image quality is such that it makes it hard to make out the part numbers or the model references (e.g. "post ...models", or "models from ..."). Is there any way you could post a larger or higher quality image?

There's one on Ebay right now. Ebay Carrera wing
And here's the part list.

And some shots of it on my car.

And the two pieces that make up the wing.

Last edited by SoCal911t; 03-06-2023 at 08:41 PM.
rs10 (03-07-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 08:46 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,709 Posts

I highly doubt a ducktail or any factory-ish wing would significantly limit top.speed. U really need to get the wing up to do so. Its really about matching the front aero to the rear so the front does not lift. A good splitter would take care of the lift issue over 120mph.

The repro cup wing on my car limits my top end to about 133mph on the track with my gt3 motor. It requires more torque to overcome the drag on the straights. On the autobon with more miles to gain speed im sure i coould get the car faster.

Also the dragon is the Tail of the Dragon, a road in TN. Its twists and turns but is way too low speed for any of this aero to effect handling.

Cup wing.......also dive plains, rsr center rad chimney and cup spliter to balance the front.

The following 3 users liked this post by De Jeeper:
damage98MO (03-06-2023), JohnCA58 (03-07-2023), zbomb (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 08:57 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 1,998 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
There's one on Ebay right now. Ebay Carrera wing

Always liked the look of the Carerra wing.
Old 03-06-2023, 10:59 PM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
I highly doubt a ducktail or any factory-ish wing would significantly limit top.speed. U really need to get the wing up to do so. Its really about matching the front aero to the rear so the front does not lift. A good splitter would take care of the lift issue over 120mph.

The repro cup wing on my car limits my top end to about 133mph on the track with my gt3 motor. It requires more torque to overcome the drag on the straights. On the autobon with more miles to gain speed im sure i coould get the car faster.

Also the dragon is the Tail of the Dragon, a road in TN. Its twists and turns but is way too low speed for any of this aero to effect handling.

Cup wing.......also dive plains, rsr center rad chimney and cup spliter to balance the front.

Man she's looking sweet!
Old 03-07-2023, 03:48 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 1,846 Likes on 891 Posts

Originally Posted by yoonietang
Since we're here, can anyone recommend a a ducktail for an NB 996? The RSR is great but a little pricey for me.
RPM Technik but I’m biased.

Originally Posted by rs10
Hi, could you clarify this a bit for those of us who are easily confused? For instance, if "it's negligible", what's "it"? And you've had both a GT3 and RPM rear aero, or whole aerokit, or ... ? Or put another way, when you say you haven't noticed a difference, that's a difference between what car (or aero setup) and what car/setup? And difference refers to top speed, or lift, or ... ?

Also - sorry if it's a silly question - but what's the Dragon and how fast do you get there? (I rarely track my car - I have something else for that - but I do drive on Autobahns. And while I can't in any way explain why this should matter, it would nonetheless greatly annoy me if putting a wing or ducktail on my car reduced the top speed by even a single kmph.)

P.S. I have already been in touch with RPM. They have never tested their ducktail. No one has tested a ducktail. Except Porsche. One of the few things that annoy me about their relationship with customers is that they force us all to do all this generally imperfect research and speculation when they could just share what they know.
There were a couple stretches on the Skyway that put us around “going to jail speeds”. I will concede that I do not have definite facts and really observations at highway speeds. Like DeJeeper said, either option doesn’t increase drag like a bigger wing would.

Last edited by TheChunkNorris; 03-07-2023 at 03:53 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TheChunkNorris:
EVOMMM (03-07-2023), plpete84 (03-07-2023), yoonietang (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 12:33 PM
imhighlander
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 146 Posts

Go big, or go home.

Your spoiler needs a spoiler.
Biggest effing spoiler...

TheChunkNorris (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 02:05 PM
yoonietang
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
RPM Technik but I’m biased.

There were a couple stretches on the Skyway that put us around “going to jail speeds”. I will concede that I do not have definite facts and really observations at highway speeds. Like DeJeeper said, either option doesn’t increase drag like a bigger wing would.
The RPM Technik is 100% the one I'd buy if I had the money but it's more than double everything else I've seen. Absolutely gorgeous though.

Quick Reply: Porsche sport classic duck tail