996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

3.4L vs. 3.6L

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 03:09 PM
papachili
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

STOP! thats a common rennlist misconception! If you use the hack to connect it to the center console, you'll get the P0993 CEL code every time you shift into 7th. Its a real pain to get it cleared all the time. But..if you connect it to the Auto-Inflation/tire pressure check system, you'll bypass the 7th gear detent warning and gain that 8HP...That comes straight from the guy at the factory!
Old 10-15-2010, 04:30 PM
fjr_wertheimber

Yeah, but I had them flash the ECU when I added the Cold Air Ashtray (+3.3 bhp, +4.1 lb.ft.) and had them lower the sun visors (for less drag), so that took care of the CEL. The only problem now is that I think the bearing on my headlight is going bad and I'm afraid if I don't fix it soon it's going to leak headlight fluid all over my driveway... does anyone have a DIY for the LN headlight fix?
Old 10-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Skip the LN headlight fix and go straight to the LED headlight mod. Less wattage pulled increases torque by 4% depending on blue or white LED's. Since you're in there you might as well crack open the console and do the solid mounts, that reduces the twist when accelerating hard right.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:58 PM
fjr_wertheimber

Yeah, but I heard that the transfer of torque to the chassis through the solid mounts can lead to problems with the trunk latch unless you update/upgrade to the same latch as the Carrera GT... Although, it has to the be latch design as used on the 4th, 7th, and 19th CGTs made, or it won't interchange with the 996 without some serious modification... Anyone got a part number for that??
Old 10-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You guys are absolutely wrong. Under inflated tires contribute to RMS failures, that are associated with blinker fluid failure, caused by stock 17" wheels, using pagid brake pads. The fan mod creates undue stress on the AOS which in turn creates pressure on the sunroof weatherstrippng, causing the short shifter to short out the pumpkins, ending with catastrophic water pump siezure.RTFM!
Old 10-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Barn996
You guys are absolutely wrong. Under inflated tires contribute to RMS failures, that are associated with blinker fluid failure, caused by stock 17" wheels, using pagid brake pads. The fan mod creates undue stress on the AOS which in turn creates pressure on the sunroof weatherstrippng, causing the short shifter to short out the pumpkins, ending with catastrophic water pump siezure.RTFM!
Weather stripping can only affect alignments in C2 models. Anyone with remote awareness of the variocam shim deviations knows that. And you got it back asswards, next time you have your water pump seize look into the front control arms, I'll bet my torsion bar on the 996 that the previous owner installed GT3 control arms with the polarity reversed.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:31 PM
papachili
Advanced

Unless of course you have a C2 Aero...in which case the down force on the rear wing reduces unsprung camber and relieves pressure off the front drop links eliminating alignment problems all together. I agree with the previous post...reversed polarity of GT3 control arms is a common install mistake, but if you do the omni-directional voltage regulator mod...polarity works in either direction, which reduces internal engine friction extending oil change intervals to 20,000 miles or 5 years.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:14 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Originally Posted by papachili
Unless of course you have a C2 Aero...in which case the down force on the rear wing reduces unsprung camber and relieves pressure off the front drop links eliminating alignment problems all together. I agree with the previous post...reversed polarity of GT3 control arms is a common install mistake, but if you do the omni-directional voltage regulator mod...polarity works in either direction, which reduces internal engine friction extending oil change intervals to 20,000 miles or 5 years.
StopNo more
Old 10-15-2010, 11:17 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by papachili
Hmmm I thought it was 20,000 miles or every other steering wheel rotation....?
OK I'll stop now too.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:37 PM
cdaniels
Racer

3.4 guys get laid twice as much as 3.6 guys.....no kidding...it's a fact !
Old 10-18-2010, 09:38 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cdaniels
3.4 guys get laid twice as much as 3.6 guys.....no kidding...it's a fact !
Is that because you already have the omni-directional voltage regulator and therefore your polarity works in either direction giving you twice the action?....
Old 10-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Why yes it is, did you see that in the manual? What did you do about your 3.4 engine, have you replaced it with something else?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:18 AM
papachili
Advanced

I'm kinda glad I have the 3.6L... my polarity works in one direction ONLY and I like it that way!
Old 10-19-2010, 11:29 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
Why yes it is, did you see that in the manual? What did you do about your 3.4 engine, have you replaced it with something else?
I looked at several alternatives but chose another 3.4 to stay in the NASA and POC classes I've been running. Auto Strasse, who built the original motor, had another sitting on the shelf so it was relatively simple to move my performance parts (X51 pan, 4" pulley, LWFW) over and plug it in. Broke the new motor in at Las Vegas Motorspeedway weekend before last then raced Sat & Sunday winning class both days. New motor felt just like the old one, I made a serious attempt to keep the revs to 7k and water temps below 210. The 3 new radiators acomplished that easily....

Robert of Auto Strasse is building a 3.8 out of a 3.4 with all the right stuff so I may well end up with that motor depending on where it dynos. I have some HP room to spare so we'll see....
Old 10-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Barn996
Race Director

How many hours(or miles) did you have on your expired engine, and do you know what it was specifically, that faied? Just curious, thanks.

Quick Reply: 3.4L vs. 3.6L