Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Switching Headlight Lenses / Shells on the 996?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 06:11 PM
spender
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching Headlight Lenses / Shells on the 996?

Greetings - I just got my 2003 C4S (with xenons), and it is sweet!!!!

However, one of the lenses of the headlight assemblies is in bad shape (by my standards), as it was badly clearcoated (which has not stood up well over time).

I recently picked up a mismatched set of xenon headlights on Kijiji, and needless to say, the right/passenger one is for a Turbo (mirror rather than ruffled) while the left/driver one is for a non-turbo, but the plastic of the lens (I am referring to the clear part) is essentially immaculate.

Is there any way to easily switch the outer lens / shell between headlights? I am thinking the answer is no, as it looks like they are pretty much glued/sealed together, but it never hurts to ask...

Anyone have any input on this?
Old 10-12-2010, 06:17 PM
mikes_996
Instructor

You'll have to bake them off in oven to loosen or melt the adhesive so that you can separate them.. Not hard to do just takes time and patients... Have dome them on a few pairs myself...
Old 10-12-2010, 06:31 PM
oneyedjack
Advanced

I have done it to Audi headlights and it worked swimmingly well. Ready for this...........?

Preheat your oven to its lowest setting (something around 250 degrees). Put the light in for about 10 minutes. This loosens the rubberized adhesive that holds the lens to the housing. Just pry apart. I just used a firm grip and worked it slowly apart. Take your time, don't want to break the plastic.

Mind you this was on Audi A6 lights. Thinking about the Porsche lights, you probably want to remove the headlight washer nozzle before baking. And if the oven scares you you could use a heat gun to loosen the adhesive. I tried it first without any luck but maybe I was out of patience. The oven, as dumb as it sounds, worked great.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:37 PM
spender
Pro

Well, this idea sounds like it might have some legs after all! Mind you, I am going to keep this as a last resort in case I can't find the correct replacement headlight (I'm seeking part 996 631 060 20, let me know if you find one for me to buy and I'll shout you a beer!)

A few more dumb questions, then:

1. I assume that one would remove all of the wiring, harnesses, etc., pretty much everything that can be removed prior to putting the headlight in the oven (this sounds funny to say)?

2. Once the lens comes apart, what does one use to glue it together again?

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2010, 06:48 PM
mikes_996
Instructor

Yep remove all bulbs and wiring.. Use black silicone adhesive to reseal.. Make sure u clean the lens and light before resealing.. Tie or tape the lens down and let dry for 24 hours..
Old 10-12-2010, 06:59 PM
oneyedjack
Advanced

Remove anything you can, like the ballast, bulbs and any removable covers. I did not remove the wiring. Automotive wiring is rated at 150 degrees C if I am not mistaken and should not be affected. Just keep a close eye on it while its in the oven.

Also, it seems the 996 light is quite large. Will they fit in the oven?

As to your second question. In my case (Audi lights) the factory epoxy actually remains tacky and it was just a matter of heating it again and pressing it back together. Never had a rpoblem with leaks and its been four years or so.

Quick Reply: Switching Headlight Lenses / Shells on the 996?