Sponsored by:

Lower Control Arm DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 03:48 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Those joints are not protect from the environment and will wear out a lot faster than regular ball joints. That's the main reason they are only recommended for track use.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:07 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

Not true, you can either get weather-sealed/'booted', which are about equally as protected as a typical balljoint...yes you can get 'open' style joints and they would be a poor choice for poor weather/dirty-road street cars

Originally Posted by Imo000
Those joints are not protect from the environment and will wear out a lot faster than regular ball joints. That's the main reason they are only recommended for track use.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:43 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
Not true, you can either get weather-sealed/'booted', which are about equally as protected as a typical balljoint...yes you can get 'open' style joints and they would be a poor choice for poor weather/dirty-road street cars
I have to apologize, I had a picture of a heim joint in my had and kept thinking the monoball is the same. I was wrong.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:05 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

No worries at all
Even the heim's (such as toe-links or dogbones for those wondering) you can get with boots, although I'm sure they still won't last as long as factory stock...but it's worth it!

Originally Posted by Imo000
I have to apologize, I had a picture of a heim joint in my had and kept thinking the monoball is the same. I was wrong.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:30 PM
davidnyc
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
skip urethane and go monoball

Do you have a link to what you purchased?
Old 07-14-2016, 12:20 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Is there a good way to separate the LCA from the carrier without damaging the ball joint boot?
Old 07-14-2016, 01:20 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
Is there a good way to separate the LCA from the carrier without damaging the ball joint boot?
I will tell you my secret that has saved me many headaches eversince I discovered it.

You can buy these at many tool places like HF and such. Make sure you get the billet version as the cast version is weak and will break on you.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:27 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Awesome. Thanks Alpine!
Old 07-14-2016, 01:42 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

My tool is a small sledge hammer, the ball joint stud is just slight taper fit, I loosen the nut by 1/4", and give the casting the threaded stud fit into a couple of smart, but not abusive whacks, the taper fit will pop loose, I've used this trick over several different cars, as well as my own 996 just over a month ago, works like a charm.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:49 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
My tool is a small sledge hammer, the ball joint stud is just slight taper fit, I loosen the nut by 1/4", and give the casting the threaded stud fit into a couple of smart, but not abusive whacks, the taper fit will pop loose, I've used this trick over several different cars, as well as my own 996 just over a month ago, works like a charm.
This is how I used to do it until it no longer worked on some cars with good amount of corrosion. Tried the pickle fork route as well as air chisel hammer w/pickle fork attachment. Finally discovered this tool and it has never failed me and worked on the first try. Jobs that used to take me 10-30min of cursing and swearing only take under 5 min now.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:29 AM
davidnyc
Instructor

Originally Posted by alpine003
I will tell you my secret that has saved me many headaches eversince I discovered it.

You can buy these at many tool places like HF and such. Make sure you get the billet version as the cast version is weak and will break on you.
Just an update. Finally getting around to installing my control arms. It will take me a few days with this Tx heat. (It is 10pm and still 90+ degrees...outside, my garage is probably high 90's. I think I will work on this stuff in the AM from now on)

Just a tip, I bought this tool and I loosen the control arm ball joint nut and bring it to the top of the ball joint so it is flush. Then I use this tool sort of upside down. The single arm is on the nut/bolt and NOT on the underside of the control arm. Few little cranks with a socket wrench and it pops out REALLY easy. It is basically pushing the bolt down. I tried it the other way (single arm under neath and using the tool as sort of a pry bar.... didn't work.). If you already knew this, then it is a new one for me.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:54 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by davidnyc
I tried it the other way (single arm under neath and using the tool as sort of a pry bar.... didn't work.). If you already knew this, then it is a new one for me.
The single arm pushes on the threaded stud, is that what you meant?

The U-shape portion should fit around the LCA bushing and over the casting the tapered LCA bushing body fits into, the U-shape end and the single arm ends squeeze together when the threaded stud of the tool turns to pop loose the tapered LCA bushing.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:01 AM
davidnyc
Instructor

Originally Posted by aviography
The single arm pushes on the threaded stud, is that what you meant?
Yes, this is what I meant.

Tip #2=> The bolt by the chassis can slide all the way out and then down. There is a hidden hole there to get the bolt fully out. To replace the bolt just do the reverse. You cannot angle it in.

Tip#3=> I know this is against all of "mechanic" best practice, but I didn't buy a 21mm or the 18mm. I just held the nuts in place with an adjustable wrench and my socket wrench on the bolt side. I just carefully adjusted the adjustable wrench tight enough against the nut. You don't need it to break the bolts loose, just need it to keep the nut from spinning once you break it loose. Note: Everything is back on the car, just hand tight, if I cannot get sufficient torque with the adjustable, I will buy the correct tools.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:02 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

"Tip#3=> I know this is against all of "mechanic" best practice, but I didn't buy a 21mm or the 18mm. I just held the nuts in place with an adjustable wrench and my socket wrench on the bolt side. I just carefully adjusted the adjustable wrench tight enough against the nut. You don't need it to break the bolts loose, just need it to keep the nut from spinning once you break it loose. Note: Everything is back on the car, just hand tight, if I cannot get sufficient torque with the adjustable, I will buy the correct tools."

Hey, if it works/enables you to complete the job without damaging anything (including yourself) it is "the correct tool". This being said, I'm not sure I understand "sufficient torque"... AFAIK the suspension components should all be torqued to "specific" #'s... as opposed to "sufficient" #'s...
Old 08-07-2016, 01:02 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003

Those are a life saver rather than having to deal with a BFH. Work smarter, not harder

Quick Reply: Lower Control Arm DIY