Sponsored by:

Center Console Horseshoe Recover in Alcantara

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 04:44 PM
reynwerkes
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Center Console Horseshoe Recover in Alcantara

So far, I've been impressed with Don's work with Alcantara.
Has anyone recovered their horseshoe?
Mine is getting slightly gummy and thought I'd recover it.
The only concern I had was whether all the switches would go back in nicely and if the horseshoe would snap back in like before.
Thanks!
Old 10-01-2010, 12:15 AM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HEY< I finally found someone to ask this question to. The Horseshoe on my center console is rosewood. It is badly cracked. I have glued the pieces back into place, but it looks crappy, and the rest of the car looks impeccible. So, since my car has a full leather interior, I was going to buy a new (used) horseshoe covered in Natural brown leather, and replace mine. I have seen them posted on various dismantler websites for less than $200.

But, how do I remove the existing horseshoe? The drawings I have seen show screws holding it in place, but I don't see any screws. HELP!!

larry
Old 10-03-2010, 04:07 PM
HRTex
Intermediate

If it is like mine, you just loosen the 'batwing' above the shifter (pull up and out and it'll come out), then the horseshoe will just pop up if you are careful but forceful. Check to see if you have a set screw holding the shift **** to the rod underneath and then the ****, leather, and horshoe will come off completely.

HOWEVER - the plastic tabs that hold the horseshoe down are fragile, and there is a 50/50 chance that one of them will break off. Don't remove it in cold weather, and be careful. One of mine broke when I upgraded my shifter assembly to the 997 console/assembly, and while I bought a new under-plastic part, I'm still at a loss on how to attach it (I'm going to follow the instructions below someday and give it a shot).

As far as recovering just the horseshoe, there is a DIY on repainting it, but I don't know about recovering it in leather.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...scription.html

Good luck.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:40 PM
larry47us
Pro

Hugh:

Unfortunately, we are talking about two different "horseshoes." I am talking about the one on the front of the console, just below the top of the dash. The one that has the two AC/heater vents at the top, and a row of switches up and down the right and left sides. The radio fits in the middle of the horseshoe.

So, as you're sitting in the driver's seat, and you have your hand on the shifter, if you push forward to the console, and then lift your hand up a bit, you will be in the middle of the "vertical console", with the horseshoe on the left, above and to the right.

That's a different one than you replaced.

larry
Old 10-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Weird......Hugh has a avatar of Larry Hagman and Larry and Hugh are talking....I know I'm no help just thought it was a co-winky dink. Don't mind me...
Old 10-04-2010, 03:57 AM
HRTex
Intermediate

Default Somebody help Reynwerkes !!!

Larry, I had no idea this car had so many horseshoes. Sorry.

As for 'your' horseshoe, I think the screws holding everything in place are UNDER that horseshoe, but the horseshoe itself just comes off with some prying. In reading, people have started with the lower right and used a thin plastic knife / butter knife covered in duct tape / etc. to pry it off, starting at the bottom. Also, it was mentioned to use caution not to pry against anything that could potentially leave a mark, or to be careful when doing so. You might confirm this with others with the '02+.

Pete, I don't know what to tell you.

And Reynwerkes, I'm sorry we hijacked your thread. To make matters worse, I don't know the answer to your question AND I would have the same concerns you have! I can only hope that by hijacking your thread and moving it back to the top someone will be able to help...
Old 10-04-2010, 04:03 AM
reynwerkes
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HRTex

And Reynwerkes, I'm sorry we hijacked your thread. To make matters worse, I don't know the answer to your question AND I would have the same concerns you have! I can only hope that by hijacking your thread and moving it back to the top someone will be able to help...
Hugh,
No worries. I rather have discussion going on rather than a post without responses. Nothing frustrates me more.
I think I'm going to look for an aluminum horseshoe rather than take the chance of it not fitting after being expensively recovered in Alcantara. I'll save that for my steering wheel!

Quick Reply: Center Console Horseshoe Recover in Alcantara