Sponsored by:

Shop Recommendation in Del. or SE PA

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 03:43 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
Question Shop Recommendation in Del. or SE PA

I'm looking for an Indy shop recommendation near northern Delaware (or nearby in Southeastern Pennsylvania). I'm reasonably sure I need a new Clutch, and I'm thinking an RMS and maybe IMS bearing to go with it.

Can anyone recommend a shop that's got the magic combination of reasonable pricing and reliablity? Thanks.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:57 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dougherty's in West Chester knows their stuff. The owner was featured in Excellence magazine not too long ago.

The Delaware PCA recommends Fairwinds Auto in Bear.
That's where the past Delaware PCA president goes for his work. Much better pricing.

http://www.fairwindsporsche.com/
Old 09-27-2010, 04:42 PM
sprintamx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used both Dougherty in West Chester, and Fairwinds (Will Pyle owner) in Bear, DE. There are other "experts" available, but those two are long-established business with "storefronts."

Without jumping into too many details--and FWIW--I use Fairwinds for just about everything, up to and including a performance motor build on a past 1988 3.2-3.4 conversion. Will's knowledge and skills are quite deep, shop pricing for time is extremely competitive (~ $85/hour), strong attention to detail, good crew of techs, and no sales tax. And, now that I am running a 996 C2, I've confirmed that they have experience with IMS bearing replacement--just in case.

I don't know whether Dougherty's techs have done an IMS replacement, and while that shop can and does do many things--with a focus on 996 and later performance development and support--they are at about $30 more per hour than Fairwinds and "build" a lot of time into their work; not to mention the 6.5% tax. I had them do a full performance suspension build on my C2 and it was quite pricey, but I have no complaints on the quality of the work.

Anyway, one guy's abbreviated experience.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:01 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sprintamx
I've used both Dougherty in West Chester, and Fairwinds (Will Pyle owner) in Bear, DE. There are other "experts" available, but those two are long-established business with "storefronts."

Without jumping into too many details--and FWIW--I use Fairwinds for just about everything, up to and including a performance motor build on a past 1988 3.2-3.4 conversion. Will's knowledge and skills are quite deep, shop pricing for time is extremely competitive (~ $85/hour), strong attention to detail, good crew of techs, and no sales tax. And, now that I am running a 996 C2, I've confirmed that they have experience with IMS bearing replacement--just in case.

I don't know whether Dougherty's techs have done an IMS replacement, and while that shop can and does do many things--with a focus on 996 and later performance development and support--they are at about $30 more per hour than Fairwinds and "build" a lot of time into their work; not to mention the 6.5% tax. I had them do a full performance suspension build on my C2 and it was quite pricey, but I have no complaints on the quality of the work.

Anyway, one guy's abbreviated experience.
Nice to know Fairwinds has replaced a few IMS bearings.
My car is still under CPO and I do all my own regular maintence but the IMS is a bit beyond where I want to go.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:51 PM
sprintamx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exchanged a few PMs with the OP to clarify that I had not confirmed Fairwinds specifically used the LN bearing or procedures for replacement--if that matters. Like many, I'm lurking about as the experts debate this issue and weigh in on the longevity of LN/Raby piece. I'm also intrigued by Pelican's pending release of a replacement bearing as a planned replacement/wear item. We'll see . . .
Old 09-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Todds911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've dealt with Fairwinds with no complaints. I've also called Will on the phone from time to time and he was willing to spend some time answering questions. I did this before I moved from a 3.2 to the 996.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:08 PM
DaveSpeed
Racer

Depending on your location, if close to Allentown, I would recommend Phil's Auto. Low key place out of the way, but Phil knows pcars well. They have done several IMS replacement and I am planning on using him in the spring to do my upgrade. His estimate for the IMS was 2-2.5K, not inluding any other work i.e. clutch.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Veer12
Banned

Thumbs down

I'm looking for an Indy shop recommendation near UK.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:41 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Veer12
I'm looking for an Indy shop recommendation near UK.
Try new glockenshire of Wallingford. They serve fish and chips while you wait!
Old 09-29-2010, 03:37 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

You may also want to consider GT Performance in Edgewood, MD. It's a straight shot down 95. Gennady(sp?) is a great guy with a no nonsense race shop and his prices are extremely reasonable.

GT Performance
2113 Columbia Park Dr # 3
Edgewood, MD 21040-1036
(410) 538-3400

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer!

Quick Reply: Shop Recommendation in Del. or SE PA