The 4S becomes a weekend car... even more impressive

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Default The 4S becomes a weekend car... even more impressive

Fellow Rennlisters,

For the last 3 years I have used my 4S as my sole vehicle - DD / DE / whatever... and it performed flawlessly!

However, I recently acquired a new 2010 Mini Cooper S for a daily driver since my new duties had me filling up the 4S every other day (I have a hard time keeping away from the go-pedal)! The Mini is a great little beast. Very fast - all things considered... handling is very fun, and Im getting 32mpg without driving conservatively.

However - as the 4S had been sitting in the garage for a couple of weeks... I decided to take it to work yesterday... I was adjusting my rear-view mirror when I noticed my ****-eating permagrin. In love again!

In just a 15 minute drive I reminded myself what a great car the 996 is... the sound, the power, the steering feel... I wish i could afford the gas bills because there is no better way to start your day! And just as I was nearing work, a modded 928 pulled up next to me, and then behind him another '6 4S... like I was being welcomed back.

Happy motoring
~J
Old 09-25-2010, 01:24 PM
GNR996
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

special cars for sure.

when I get in mine after not driving it for a spell it brings it all back.

what is it they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder....

nice post.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:13 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Both are great vehicles and a blast to drive; you have to pick your poison....but I'm sure the Mini could sit idle for alot longer than the 4S. my C2 gets 14-16 mpg; mostly city, but my commutes are usually 30mins or less.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:27 PM
HRTex
Intermediate

I get the same feeling in my base '01 - I can't imagine an S. Enjoy it when you can.

Is the MINI a company car? I ask because if you do want to drive the 4S everyday, I can't quite figure out the economy behind a $20k car + insurance to save less than 15 mpg - at 20k miles a year that's under $2 grand/year, right? Even with the increased maintenance costs on the 4S it'd take take years to break even, I would think.

But I am often wrong.

Either way, it doesn't matter. Enjoy the 4S every chance you get, I say.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HRTex
I get the same feeling in my base '01 - I can't imagine an S. Enjoy it when you can.

Is the MINI a company car? I ask because if you do want to drive the 4S everyday, I can't quite figure out the economy behind a $20k car + insurance to save less than 15 mpg - at 20k miles a year that's under $2 grand/year, right? Even with the increased maintenance costs on the 4S it'd take take years to break even, I would think.

But I am often wrong.

Either way, it doesn't matter. Enjoy the 4S every chance you get, I say.

His wife might be reading. Makes perfect sense to me to own two fun cars.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

LOL - thats certainly not a calculation I presented to my Minister of Finance - the wife.

Actually I did buy it as a company car... per my accountant's rec. But there were other reasons I didn't want to drive the 4S every day besides gas. I will be putting 15K+ a year on the Mini, and I didn't want that kind of annual mileage on the 4S (wear and depreciation). Also, there is no covered parking where my new offices are... which means the Orient Red metallic will bake every day under the Texan sun. Suboptimal IMO.

Most importantly, we have a 2.5 year old... which means we needed two cars with back seat car-seat capability. Now that we have another 4 seater (the Mini will take 2 car seats in the back) the 4S is relieved of duties.

This means... I can start to seriously look for a GT3, or pull the rear seats out of the 4S, put in a half cage and race seats + harnesses for the track.

Its all part of the master plan...
Old 09-26-2010, 01:47 PM
nazhat
Instructor

good thinking
Old 09-26-2010, 06:26 PM
HRTex
Intermediate

Good plan! I should have taken Homer's advice above.

Those MINIs are a blast and have so much more room in them than I thought they would - when I first sat in one I thought it pulled some kind of a magic trick, as it looks so compact from the outside and then feels so comfortable and airy from the inside. I couldn't believe the amount of headroom.

A GT3 or a half cage sounds like a great track upgrade from rear child seats, too.

Enjoy them both and drive them in good health.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:16 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I wish i could afford the gas bills because there is no better way to start your day!"

That's funny...cause this morning one of my co-workers asked me why I was in such a good mood today....and I told her it was because I drove a Porsche. That might have sounded pretentious, but really, some days just the drive into work can change my mood! Never experienced that with any other car I've ever owned.

sean
Old 09-28-2010, 12:21 AM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Those MINIs are a blast and have so much more room in them than I thought they would - when I first sat in one I thought it pulled some kind of a magic trick, as it looks so compact from the outside and then feels so comfortable and airy from the inside. I couldn't believe the amount of headroom.

Enjoy them both and drive them in good health.
Thanks!

As the weather turned cooler this week, the Mini has been even more fun (as the turbo suffers in the heat with the small OEM intercooler). I agree that its mostly a visual trick that makes the car look "smaller." Its def shorter, but in terms of interior space, its nicely sized.

Originally Posted by seanmcr6
... some days just the drive into work can change my mood! Never experienced that with any other car I've ever owned.
Agreed. These cars are special for sure.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got back from a month vacation... I couldn't wait to drive my car again...

Felt like a million bucks!
Old 10-01-2010, 03:59 PM
calbo
Advanced

The MINI has a turbo?
Old 10-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by calbo
The MINI has a turbo?
Yes, it's a little 1.6L turbo (K03), for the Cooper S.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I've been on business travel for 2 weeks and it was soooo nice to fire up the car this afternoon.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:38 AM
calbo
Advanced

Fantastic! I thought they still had superchargers.
Congratulations on the new car!

Quick Reply: The 4S becomes a weekend car... even more impressive