Plumbing an Accusump

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Mike Forte
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plumbing an Accusump

Hello,

I own a 996 that I have been tracking the last couple of year's. I have the similiar problem that other's have in that my oil pressure drops down to ONE bar in some of the heavier turns and braking conditions. It is just momemtary and not very noticeable unless you are watching the oil pressure gauge intently.

I put in the LN deep sump with baffle's and use Castrol Syntec 5/50. But to no avail. I have not modified the suspension and I am running street tires. I did install the LN IMS bearing, btw.

Next step is to add and accusump. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to where to locate it. And any anomolies in plumbing it. I would like to mount it under the car possibly in the tunnel if there is room.

Also Charles at LN rec's the manual switch, since my auto is a street car I think I would favor a cleaner installation with the electronic switch. Unless someone has a nice clean place to mount the mechanical on/off switch.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 09-22-2010, 08:31 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

I mounted mine on the rear deck, but the interior has been stripped. I use a lever to activate. The local spec boxster guys developed a fitting for the oil filter housing, the filter is now located in the rear fender using a generic corvette filter (M1-107). The only other accusump in a 996 that I have seen was located in the passenger seat floor, also in a race car.
Attached Images      
Old 09-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Mike Forte
2nd Gear

Pretty cool looking car. I like that you re-routed the oil filter. The set-up I was eyeing will use a smaller (10hr) oil filter. Trade-off between re-routing the oil filter and a smaller filter. Does the accusump activate much on the track?
Old 09-22-2010, 10:18 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too prefer floorboard but have seen another in the tunnel under the car. Have pictures also.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:01 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Forte
Pretty cool looking car. I like that you re-routed the oil filter. The set-up I was eyeing will use a smaller (10hr) oil filter. Trade-off between re-routing the oil filter and a smaller filter. Does the accusump activate much on the track?
I have a manual lever, which I open while the car is running. I am not familiar with the electronic switch set up.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:10 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Having trouble posting pics here so I will email and then maybe you can post them here. Check your email ...

Originally Posted by Mike Forte
Hello,

I own a 996 that I have been tracking the last couple of year's. I have the similiar problem that other's have in that my oil pressure drops down to ONE bar in some of the heavier turns and braking conditions. It is just momemtary and not very noticeable unless you are watching the oil pressure gauge intently.

I put in the LN deep sump with baffle's and use Castrol Syntec 5/50. But to no avail. I have not modified the suspension and I am running street tires. I did install the LN IMS bearing, btw.

Next step is to add and accusump. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to where to locate it. And any anomolies in plumbing it. I would like to mount it under the car possibly in the tunnel if there is room.

Also Charles at LN rec's the manual switch, since my auto is a street car I think I would favor a cleaner installation with the electronic switch. Unless someone has a nice clean place to mount the mechanical on/off switch.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 09-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

at what press does the system start squirting into the engine? how low of a pressure do you need to get to to active the mechanism...

does it also collect it when oil pressure is back up?
Old 09-23-2010, 10:10 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c70Pete
at what press does the system start squirting into the engine? how low of a pressure do you need to get to to active the mechanism...

does it also collect it when oil pressure is back up?

Can be adjusted.

Yes, recharges as press. goes up. With mechanical before turning off you can idle up the pressure then shut valve and shut off allowing restart to have pressure right away.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:28 PM
cardsrule
Pro

We just did this at work on a Cayman in the tunnel and it turned out really nice. We are going to start making full kits for all the different models soon. If you track a M/96/7 engine this is a really good idea.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Jon Schepps
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Can be adjusted.

Yes, recharges as press. goes up. With mechanical before turning off you can idle up the pressure then shut valve and shut off allowing restart to have pressure right away.
If you use the electronic pressure valve (not the electric on/off valve) from Accusump, then no adjustment is needed or necessary. They come in several pre-set trip points, but the 35-40psi version is about right for our cars. This valve will open when the engine-side oil pressure falls below 35 psi, allowing oil to flow from the Accusump into the engine (provided the Accusump was properly pressurized). When engine oil pressure goes up, oil is force back into the A-sump until the pressure exceeds 35psi.

If you wire a switch to the pressure valve, there's no need for a manual valve. Simply rev the engine to build oil pressure in the A-sump, then swicth off the pressure valve and it'll hold it. Some people just use a circuit that's only hot when the ignition is on, but at idle, the oil pressure could be below 35psi, thus draining the A-sump. If you turn off the key, you lose the ability to prime the engine on startup unless you turned off the engine while revving it, which doesn't sound like a good practice. I located the Accusump switch right next to the ignition key.
js

Quick Reply: Plumbing an Accusump