Sponsored by:

996 C4 winter driving experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 11:51 AM
P7
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
I live where the OP lives, and the conditions you describe are pretty rare. If we do get deep slush that freezes, then yes, I leave my car at home and take the truck. But in this city, it's almost never an issue. The bigger challenge is salt, which requires some diligence.
I am in Mississauga and will drive my newly aquired 02 C2 in the winter as it is my only car. I just got a used set of 17" porsche rims with snow tires (50% left on the tires). Why is the salt a challenge? and what is required in terms of deligence? Is there anything else that I need to be aware of or do on a regular basis during the winter?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2010, 12:02 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I only meant that you have to keep it clean. Regular visits to the DIY car wash and such. I actually find the body and paint incredibly resilient in this regard, though.

The big watch-out in my experience is the radiators. The POs of my car apparently never cleaned them out. After awhile, leaf muck collected in the corners, which in turn soaked up brine from the road. Eventually, the radiators just rotted out. My AC condensers were restored with some kind of chemical bath, but the rads had to be replaced. They actually started to spout coolant just from being washed, that's how bad they were. So I would make a point of taking that front bumper off and cleaning the rads and condensers every spring, if I were you.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I also just go to a self-service car wash with the wands or handheld sprayers...I don't use their foaming brush ever, just the spray to remove winter grime and salt. If your hugely '****' about your Porsche, you most likely won't be driving in crappy conditions, because your 911 will still not be anywhere near concours condition. I'd rather drive mine and enjoy the year round experience.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:03 PM
P7
Advanced

I always go to the regular car washes in the gas stations. Is that bad? I had an NSX for 3 years and I did the same thing

I am not **** about the 911 or any car at all. I really don't have the patience to detail and wash my car by hand. I only enjoy the driving experience.

Should I sell the 911 based on that and buy a 92 camry in green? (since most of these came in green) - just kidding
Old 09-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by P7
I am not **** about the 911 or any car at all. I really don't have the patience to detail and wash my car by hand. I only enjoy the driving experience.
Automatic car washes are rough on the paint. If you're OK with the scratches it leaves behind, then, by all means, go for it.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Jocapo
Cruisin'

Thanks for all the input,

Any items mechanical or otherwise that tend to more suspectible to cold weather?

I know its a car like all others, but just want to be sure.

Looks like i will be enjoying the C4 in the winter...
Old 09-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,524 Likes on 956 Posts

My car has had zero issues in cold weather. The biggest is probably the windows fogging up, but that's another discussion all together.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:17 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Life is short! Drive it year round!!
Old 09-21-2010, 02:18 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
My car has had zero issues in cold weather. The biggest is probably the windows fogging up, but that's another discussion all together.
The easiest way to solve that problem is to totally disable the A/C unless/until you need it for actual cooling or initial cooldown. These new modern A/C evaporators are so dense and complex they often act as a sponge, holding enough of yesterday's condensate(***) to fog over, completely fog over, the windshield at initial startup the following morning.

Back in '01 Toyota begin using a dealer set option, C-best option, so the A/C could be turned off, defrost/defog/demist mode inclusive, and REMAIN off indefintely absent driver action.

My '01 F/awd RX300 has the option set so I can turn the A/C ONCE and be done with it until the following spring(?). My '01 C4 has a switch modification that opens the A/C compressor clutch circuit.

*** Or the condensate from the moments ago short term use of the A/C for dehumidification to help defog....
Old 09-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Only issue I needed to be aware of was when driving throug deeper snow, the snow would accumulate inside the wheels and then freeze overnight. Next time you drive, the ice inside kicks the crap out of everything. Need to get the ice out of the wheels before you go very far. Hand car wash with hot water worked. Just be aware.

Quick Reply: 996 C4 winter driving experience