Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)

Old 06-30-2016, 01:06 PM
C4rrera
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMS Snap Ring Size

Not to change the conversation, but does any know the size of internal snap ring used in the IMS kits? While installing an IMS kit the internal retaining ring broke. I've never broke a retaining ring with this compressor before, but I guess I compressed it a little too far.

Hoping someone from LN or Pelican could chime in. I'm assuming its probably metric and possibly SAE?
Old 07-01-2016, 12:58 PM
C4rrera
Track Day

Originally Posted by C4rrera
Not to change the conversation, but does any know the size of internal snap ring used in the IMS kits? While installing an IMS kit the internal retaining ring broke. I've never broke a retaining ring with this compressor before, but I guess I compressed it a little too far.

Hoping someone from LN or Pelican could chime in. I'm assuming its probably metric and possibly SAE?
Anyone willing to shed some light? I didn't think this need a new thread, but this probably isn't seen by many people.

I have already called LN, Pelican, and Vertex. No one has been able to either direct me where to purchase the snap ring or sell me one. Someones buying these things somewhere...
Old 07-01-2016, 02:06 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Where did you buy your bearing kit?
Old 07-01-2016, 02:26 PM
C4rrera
Track Day

The kit was through mb motorsports, they are out of there shop for this week and next. I was suppose to be reinstalling this motor this weekend.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:42 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

The kit was through mb motorsports, they are out of there shop for this week and next. I was suppose to be reinstalling this motor this weekend.
In that case, I don't think LN and Pelican will be able to help. May have to wait for mbm.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:58 PM
C4rrera
Track Day

See it's the same retaining ring regardless of who makes the kit. The groove in the shaft will only fit one size and thickness of ring. Any retaining ring from any kit that utilizes this groove will work. Even a factory ring will work.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:11 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

See it's the same retaining ring regardless of who makes the kit. The groove in the shaft will only fit one size and thickness of ring. Any retaining ring from any kit that utilizes this groove will work. Even a factory ring will work.
Yes, I understand that...but still does change what I said in my last post.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:23 PM
C4rrera
Track Day

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Yes, I understand that...but still does change what I said in my last post.
Well I was just being hopeful that they would be able to help with a little bit of information on something that is not proprietary in anyway. Or sell me one.

I had one of my old ims shafts mic'd by a machinist at my work and the retaining ring is not standard by any imperical or metric standards I could find.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:11 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

There is a sad thread around here where someone mixed and matched IMSB parts and it didn't end well for the poor guy that ended up buying the car.

Might very well be the same ring, but waiting until you can talk to Martin is the only sensible answer here.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:22 PM
C4rrera
Track Day

I did speak with them. They told me I can wait 2 weeks for them to ship it or source it on my own.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:52 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I did speak with them. They told me I can wait 2 weeks for them to ship it or source it on my own.
But they didn't give you the info to source your own?

My point is that this is something that is silly to risk. I get wanting to be back on the road ASAP, but it's one of those things that you are better off safe than sorry in my book.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:05 PM
C4rrera
Track Day

Correct. I was assuming it was a readily available part with the right information. Maybe it's not. I guess I'll have to wait.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:35 AM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm suprised no one bothered to point this out yet but it's quite obvious from the photos
Looks like my engine case says M96/01

Here's a picture. From what I can tell it could either be a replacement or not according to the engine number.

Hard to see but it says M96 / 01
Old 07-06-2016, 01:17 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Very interesting! Back to the future...
The IMS sprocket on the older 996's should look like this, double bicycle chain like.

I think we need Jake here. Btw, whats all the black slimy stuff?
Old 07-06-2016, 01:25 AM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Very interesting! Back to the future...
The IMS sprocket on the older 996's should look like this, double bicycle chain like.

I think we need Jake here. Btw, whats all the black slimy stuff?
Yes it's strange. My sprocket doesn't look like that. It's a single chain style sprocket. Good thing is that we're moving forward with the rebuild.

All that black slimy stuff was the nasty gunk that was inside my engine when we opened it up. It's all clean now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)