Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Northern CA Road Trip...any suggestions, recommendations??? (updated pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 02:24 AM
steepsnow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Northern CA Road Trip...any suggestions, recommendations??? (updated pics)

Hello All,

I just set the stage for a great fall "trip" in my '99 C4.
It just passed 100k miles and it deserves a trip to the coast (me too).
Due to some $99 one-way flights and a patient, loving wife,
I'll be doing three, 3-4 day weekends in Sept-Oct. (yeah, I'd like to take off 3-4 weeks, but I just can't pull that off this year)

The Plan is to:
Drive from Colorado to hit Infineon on 9/24-25.
Then Wine Country (with the wife) on 9/30-10/3
Finally Laguna Seca on 10/9 and down the coast to Huntington Beach
(...and maybe Vegas on another weekend on the way home T.B.D.)

Any locals or frequent visitors to those areas have any great tips???
Info such as:
...specific drives (fun, where to watch for 5-0, etc)
...restaurants
...lodging
...events on the dates mentioned
...wife friendly side trips in Wine Country (hikes, spas ,etc)
..."must see" tourist traps...uhhh spots
...tire shops (not sure if the tires can handle 3 track days, plus a few thousand miles; other ideas about track-tire swapping??)

THANKS in advance!

P.S. I'll post pics thoughout the trip

DF

Last edited by steepsnow; 10-20-2010 at 02:07 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:00 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Where to start?? Have you driven Rt 1 before? I'm a big fan of Rt 1 NORTH of SF--to a lesser extent, SOUTH of SF. (Big Sur is not that pretty compared to the north).

I know of several really nice Porsche roads that are always looking for a workout. PM me.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:08 AM
gcvt
Track Day

On good driving roads alone, Google stuff like Stewart's Point/Skaggs Springs, Fairfax-Bolinas, etc. and you'll find info on all kinds of roads up north. The choices are unlimited...just depends on how much time you have, where you want to start, and where you want to end up.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:48 AM
sheatley
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Agree with Hwy 1 both North and South of San Francisco. As you are heading south to Huntington Beach, I would spend the extra time if you got it on Hwy 1. I love that trip to San Luis Obispo from San Francisco. Favorite part is driving over the bridges ( ala Clint Eastwood in Play Misty for Me). Nepenthe is good food stop in Big Sur. Get gas somewhere else ( last time I looked it was >$6/gal). Keep the radar up and running especially in Fairfield en route to Infineon.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:03 AM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife and I drove #1 from LA to San Fran .It,s awsome. We wanted to see Hurst castle but arrived late just behind a busload of tourists so no more room. We then drove east from SF to Yosemite and out the east side . I think we were around 7000 ft at times. It,s amazing to look down the shoulder of the road at big trees far below. We would like to return someday and spend more time in SF . The coast road and Yosemite are lifetime experiences that shouldn,t be missed.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:11 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Avoid the traditional I-80 or US 50 routes over the Sierras. Instead take hwy 89 south past Tahoe and then catch hwy 88 west to 49 and then 16 in Amador County to merge back into 80 in Sacramento. This also gives you the opportunity to drive 89 down the west side of the lake. Inbelievable drive if you have not been there before. On hwy 49 stop in Jackson and/or Sutter Creek for some very cool Gold Country shopping and dining.

If you are really brave, go just a bit further south and take highway 4 across the Sierras. Slightly narrow in places (even down to 1 lane for a while), but an amazing drive.

Unless you stop these excursions will only add a few hours to the trip to the coast, but the views and roads are stunning.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:39 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All these are good, but also if you have time, cross Ojai north of LA. It's a good one.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:24 AM
steepsnow
Instructor

Thanks for the driving suggestions! I'll definitely try some of these.
A few mentions of radar use; how prevalent is laser (LIDAR) in CA?
...are jammers specifically illegal?

Also, still looking for some non-driving tips related to lodging, food, stops, etc...

Any suggestions on places to stay near Infineon?
I'll be alone, so nothing to fancy; close to the track would be nice.

Anyone have a favorite B&B or vacation rental in Wine country?
...good spots to take the wife (lunch, views, spas, etc)?
Old 09-21-2010, 03:35 AM
steepsnow
Instructor

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
Avoid the traditional I-80 or US 50 routes over the Sierras. Instead take hwy 89 south past Tahoe and then catch hwy 88 west to 49 and then 16 in Amador County to merge back into 80 in Sacramento. This also gives you the opportunity to drive 89 down the west side of the lake. Inbelievable drive if you have not been there before. On hwy 49 stop in Jackson and/or Sutter Creek for some very cool Gold Country shopping and dining.
Looks like fun on the map! Nice Suggestion! This drive is now on the plan.
The first leg #1 route plan from Denver to Infineon Sears Point is now set.
<I-70 to I-15 (mid Utah) to HWY 50 to Tahoe to HWY 89 to HWY 88 To Sacramento to Infineon>

MAP:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...f1542ba8a81046

...still planning details for "Leg" 2 (CA Wine),

Thanks!

Last edited by steepsnow; 09-21-2010 at 04:12 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:50 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Choice of scenic below route
http://www.freetrip.com/

Some more links
http://www.roadtripamerica.com/trave...p-Planning.htm

This one looks pretty good with pictures
http://www.byways.org/
Old 09-21-2010, 07:25 AM
wtfpenguin
Instructor

carmel, pebble beach, laguna seca!

11/1 there is a track day at laguna seca with ncra for $179!!

If you're going to sears point, check out sonoma square, you really can't go wrong with any of the food places there, and they've got a beautiful hotel in sonoma square. There are some places, that I can't even remember the names to that are 5-6 course meals that you need reservations to atleast a month in advanced. $200+/person is not uncommon at a place like this.

The following day take hwy 12 to 121 up through calistoga, cut over after santa rosa and head down hwy1. Bodega Bay is gorgeous, might be a little cold though.

Carmel and pebble beach have to be my most favorite place in the world though, and your wife will love it!

Heading down ocean avenue, you see traces of white sand, the little shops and hotels as you get closer to the beach and then you get to the beach, and you look to the right and see pebble beach and spanish bay. You can actually walk on to the course from the beach, and it's a public course. Last time I went I think it was $300 for a round of 18 holes.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:38 AM
wtfpenguin
Instructor

there is a trackday with trackmasters on 10/9! Big porsche following with that group out here!

Just re-read your post! Looks like all your trackdays are with trackmasters have fun!

I should have mentioned, that I picked up my car in Denver july 26th and drove it back to sacramento. That was the worst trip ever! I flew out of sacramento at 11am, got to colorado at 2:30, got picked up from the airport drove into denver, looking for a bank of america, to find out there are no bank of americas in colorado. Left colorado at 5pm in commuter traffic and drove 19 hours straight, got home a 10am and went into work at 4pm the same day. I can't remember what highway I was on that cut threw the mountains, it was scenic, but I talked to some truckers at the gas stations and they said next time go up to hwy 80 up in wyoming and just make a straight shot across.

I also drove through a flash flood, and what many locals said was a mini tornado in utah. But you'll have fun once you get here!
Old 09-21-2010, 12:11 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by steepsnow
Looks like fun on the map! Nice Suggestion! This drive is now on the plan.
The first leg #1 route plan from Denver to Infineon Sears Point is now set.
<I-70 to I-15 (mid Utah) to HWY 50 to Tahoe to HWY 89 to HWY 88 To Sacramento to Infineon>

MAP:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...f1542ba8a81046

...still planning details for "Leg" 2 (CA Wine),

Thanks!
Glad you could fit it in. You will pass by one of my favorite spots on the planet - Silver Lake.

Pictures! We will want pictures!
Old 09-29-2010, 02:36 AM
steepsnow
Instructor

Round 1 is complete.
Unfortunately, leaving CO was very late due to "tying" up some loose ends at work and being gone a few days, so I missed the "extra" driving around Tahoe. I did however set a personal top speed in the desert along hwy 50 and doubled-back on a few sweet twisty sections.

I did make it to Infineon on time for Friday's session. I was able to run it on Friday and Saturday. Awesome!!!

Here are some pics:
On the drive...

Posing at the track...

Driving...

Round 2 in Wine Country is now centered around Mendocino. Some coastal drives and valley wineries are the plan. Fav wineries anyone?
Old 09-29-2010, 03:28 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by steepsnow
Round 1 is complete.
Unfortunately, leaving CO was very late due to "tying" up some loose ends at work and being gone a few days, so I missed the "extra" driving around Tahoe. I did however set a personal top speed in the desert along hwy 50 and doubled-back on a few sweet twisty sections.

I did make it to Infineon on time for Friday's session. I was able to run it on Friday and Saturday. Awesome!!!

Here are some pics:
On the drive...

Posing at the track...

Driving...

Round 2 in Wine Country is now centered around Mendocino. Some coastal drives and valley wineries are the plan. Fav wineries anyone?
Did you enjoy Hwy 50? I'm planning a trip to CO next month and have decided to try 50 instead of I80. I've driven I70 though CO before and definitely want to do it again.

Cheers,
Joe

Quick Reply: Northern CA Road Trip...any suggestions, recommendations??? (updated pics)