Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Northern CA Road Trip...any suggestions, recommendations??? (updated pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:41 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I love 50. However, NV used to repave that road by spreading oil and gravel. It could get ugly if you went through a recently 'paved' section, or worse, if you encountered an oil/gravel operation. From the photo the surface looks like conventional pavement. Maybe they have changed their process.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:46 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
I love 50. However, NV used to repave that road by spreading oil and gravel. It could get ugly if you went through a recently 'paved' section, or worse, if you encountered an oil/gravel operation. From the photo the surface looks like conventional pavement. Maybe they have changed their process.
I've done 93 through NV which is very sparely populated and with almost no traffic whatsoever. Is 50 like that? Do I have to worry about finding gas stations along the way? Is the road essentially straight or are there curvey/fun bits. (The thought of droning down I80 is not very appealling). Is there much traffic enforcement outside of Austin/Eureka and Ely?

Cheers,
Joe
Old 09-29-2010, 03:48 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The CHP uses KA band, or they will pace you by car or plane.

Laser is used by some city departments, but not heavily.

Have fun!
Old 09-30-2010, 01:36 AM
steepsnow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some thoughts on HWY 50...

The only police on HWY 50 I saw was near Austin, NV and on the side of the road in Ely, NV and Delta, UT. Only the one in Austin had radar on: Ka Band - always on, easy save with my detector. Warning signs here nad there about planes. I always watch the hills to the sides to help avoid being caght with visual timing (VASCAR??). ..been ticketed in CO with that method before.

I got gas in Austin. It was a little to pricey. I would have bought it in Ely (Westbound) had I known.
...however, the gas attendant said they only have one officer, so since I had already seen him I was "clear" for many miles. Fallon to Ely would have been fine for the range of my C4.

The road is unpopulated. Long views in desert valleys allowing any speed someone feels comfortable with. Be safe! You are a long way from help out there. There are several "passes" up to 6500-7500 feet with fun windy sections. With the straights and curves, I thought the road seemed to go nicely. IMHO - much better than an Interstate for 10-12 hours.

Overall the road condition is great. Ther are a few bumpy sections, but most of it is consistent and grippy. I did not cross any gravel, oil, etc. that seemed "nasty."

I killed several thousand bugs! There was not a square inch of the bumper did not have bug guts. ...I think there was an old 911 Turbo poster/ad about killing bugs fast.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:11 AM
JM993
Banned

Thanks! This is great info. I'll be in the M3 which has a fuel range of about 300 miles - maybe less at triple digits I'll probably fill up in Fernley and again in Ely to be safe.

I'm putting in a new fuel pump as a precaution (the car has 111K miles). Hope there is at least some cell coverage out there, but I'll bet there isn't.

Cheers,
Joe

Originally Posted by steepsnow
Some thoughts on HWY 50...

The only police on HWY 50 I saw was near Austin, NV and on the side of the road in Ely, NV and Delta, UT. Only the one in Austin had radar on: Ka Band - always on, easy save with my detector. Warning signs here nad there about planes. I always watch the hills to the sides to help avoid being caght with visual timing (VASCAR??). ..been ticketed in CO with that method before.

I got gas in Austin. It was a little to pricey. I would have bought it in Ely (Westbound) had I known.
...however, the gas attendant said they only have one officer, so since I had already seen him I was "clear" for many miles. Fallon to Ely would have been fine for the range of my C4.

The road is unpopulated. Long views in desert valleys allowing any speed someone feels comfortable with. Be safe! You are a long way from help out there. There are several "passes" up to 6500-7500 feet with fun windy sections. With the straights and curves, I thought the road seemed to go nicely. IMHO - much better than an Interstate for 10-12 hours.

Overall the road condition is great. Ther are a few bumpy sections, but most of it is consistent and grippy. I did not cross any gravel, oil, etc. that seemed "nasty."

I killed several thousand bugs! There was not a square inch of the bumper did not have bug guts. ...I think there was an old 911 Turbo poster/ad about killing bugs fast.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:34 PM
EastBay
Instructor

+++ on hwy 50!
Old 10-05-2010, 12:58 AM
steepsnow
Instructor

Leg #2 is now complete. Good times except for a screw in the tire and subsequent blowout. riding to the airport on the spare on a Sunday was a little sketchy, but the C4 on a spare is still better than most cars out there.

The road trip was to Medocino via 128 from Cloverdale, then west at Boonville to Point Arena, then up the coast to Mendocino. A few stops for food and wine, lots of fun roads, so more "spitting" than "swallowing." One the way back to the airport, had to take it easy due to the tire issue.

Here are some pics:

Looking forward to Laguna Seca this weekend!! ...gotta figure out a plan for my tires though. Separate post...thx!

DF
Old 10-07-2010, 12:40 AM
ChadF
Intermediate

not sure if you are still looking for roads and such. the website below has many good routes, i have driven many of them and they do not dissappoint. i very much favor the mt. hamilton route. if you have not gone to hearst castle with the wife, you will likely enjoy it. my wife really likes going there. i am not sure what time of year, but they have limited evening tours in either spring or fall and that was really great.

http://www.carretaracing.com/porsche_roads/frame.htm
Old 10-07-2010, 01:46 AM
JM993
Banned

I just did the 50 from Tahoe to Salina UT about a week ago. In my experience, the Utah portion is actually more empty than the NV portion. One word of caution - slow down for all oncoming cars. I had two close encounters with the fuzz. Both were far from towns. One was a sherriff about 40 miles outside of Eureka. The other was a NHP about 30 miles east of Ely. Both were using KA radar - thank God for my V1 as I was over 100 both times. The NHP switched on his radar a little early which gave me enough time to react. Whew!
Old 10-20-2010, 02:15 AM
steepsnow
Instructor

Round #3 Pics. Laguna Seca and coastal drives...
An AMAZING trip that should be on everyone's bucket list...at least Porsche Owners.

Quick Reply: Northern CA Road Trip...any suggestions, recommendations??? (updated pics)