996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Help - just started car, then it shut off...UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 11:08 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

From the list, sounds like the dealer was guessing or just wanted to replace a bunch of related parts. Most likey everything they replaced was a futile attempt to repair the issue you are still having.

Just a guess, but we have little to go on. If the car's CPOed, give it back to the dealer, GL
Old 09-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When its real wuite listen for a sound of the fuel pump pressurizing the system. Mines just a slight thump sound instead of a whirl like most cars. I'm not sure if the 911 is a high pressure injection but from past experience the high pressure systems can still run but not have enough pressure for the car to run.

Take good care of the fuse paperwork in the fuse box. I hope it's just a fuze.

How often do you drive the car? Do you let the fuel level get down to a 1/4 tank? Do you add a fuel treatment once in a while trying to stay away from having water in the system? Running the car below a 1/4 tank can reduce cooling to the pump making it burn out on you. I try to refuel at a 1/2 tank now of days.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nick49
From the list, sounds like the dealer was guessing or just wanted to replace a bunch of related parts. Most likey everything they replaced was a futile attempt to repair the issue you are still having.

Just a guess, but we have little to go on. If the car's CPOed, give it back to the dealer, GL
The dealer had to fix 2 other fuel issues which they did. This is a new issue. Yes back to dealer on Tuesday.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Go check for spark. If you have spark check for fuel.

I woudl think you are missing one or the other. narrow it down to one of these two and we can go from there.. If you have both of those.. This may get sticky
Old 09-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Lysoleverywhere
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Optical let me share my experience with you. I had the same problem as you, but it occurred on the highway doing 65mph. Car just shut off, coasted to the side of the road...tried to restart...engine fired up...wouldn't stay running more than 3 seconds. Fuel Gauge showed 3/4 full. Keep this in mind for later.

Had it towed to my indy. We replaced the fuel pump and 1 venturi tube (a line inside the tank). When I got the car back it started right up with no problem.

Now, I don't know if it was the venturi tube or the new fuel pump that fixed it, but I did realize something in the process. My fuel gauge is NOT accurate.

Do yourself one big favor...get a few gas cans...fill them up...and put a few more gallons of fuel in the tank to make sure you actually have fuel before spending any money on repairs. I am to believe I was simply out of fuel and my gauge had me tricked into thinking I had 3/4 tank when I was actually on empty.

These may be helpful
Porsche 996 Fuel Problems

Fuel Gauge Shows Full All The Time
Old 09-07-2010, 12:39 AM
aadrew10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pac996
Running the car below a 1/4 tank can reduce cooling to the pump making it burn out on you. I try to refuel at a 1/2 tank now of days.
From an engineering standpoint, what kinda gangsta **** is that? At that sticker price the car should run at all fuel levels.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:55 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Originally Posted by aadrew10
From an engineering standpoint, what kinda gangsta **** is that? At that sticker price the car should run at all fuel levels.
Do you engineer fuel tanks and pumps? Baffles are a nice addition to keep fuel around the pump so that it doesn't run air in higher G's turns braking and acceleration. Simple in engineering. You run air through the pumps high speed system heat results and is harmful to the pump. You have less fuel around the pump or slosh the fuel away from the pump you have less heat sinking of the heat off the pump. Typical gangster stuff yah know from gang banging almost 60 years in cars. There will be a test later, so study up.

Anyway around a 1/4 tank you run a good risk of heating up the pump from hard cornering and such. I fuel up at around 1/2 since I used to try the 1/4 but I've lost 3 fuel pumps on different cars after trying that trick. Do you think that's a good idea as a california gangster engineer?

There might be others around here that have been through 15 or more cars already and know the hazards of running lower fuel levels besides the stirring up debri in the tank or getting condensation on the walls. I know its gangster **** again right. Sticker price doesn't mean the higher the price less you have to know.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:41 PM
aadrew10
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pac996
Do you engineer fuel tanks and pumps? Baffles are a nice addition to keep fuel around the pump so that it doesn't run air in higher G's turns braking and acceleration. Simple in engineering. You run air through the pumps high speed system heat results and is harmful to the pump. You have less fuel around the pump or slosh the fuel away from the pump you have less heat sinking of the heat off the pump. Typical gangster stuff yah know from gang banging almost 60 years in cars. There will be a test later, so study up.

Anyway around a 1/4 tank you run a good risk of heating up the pump from hard cornering and such. I fuel up at around 1/2 since I used to try the 1/4 but I've lost 3 fuel pumps on different cars after trying that trick. Do you think that's a good idea as a california gangster engineer?

There might be others around here that have been through 15 or more cars already and know the hazards of running lower fuel levels besides the stirring up debri in the tank or getting condensation on the walls. I know its gangster **** again right. Sticker price doesn't mean the higher the price less you have to know.
I wasn't saying you're wrong, I was making the point that if I had paid 60-100k new for a car I would expect it to not have problems like that. And it is a silly problem when there are aerobatic planes pulling G's in every direction and their engine still runs... When you charge that much for your product, you ought to do a bit more design work to solve the little things.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:04 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I wasn't saying you're wrong, I was making the point that if I had paid 60-100k new for a car I would expect it to not have problems like that. And it is a silly problem when there are aerobatic planes pulling G's in every direction and their engine still runs... When you charge that much for your product, you ought to do a bit more design work to solve the little things.
Let me guess...another aircooled owner who wants to stir the pot about what a crappy car the 996 is...

Last edited by roadsession; 11-08-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:30 PM
aadrew10
Instructor

aww
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lysoleverywhere
Optical let me share my experience with you. I had the same problem as you, but it occurred on the highway doing 65mph. Car just shut off, coasted to the side of the road...tried to restart...engine fired up...wouldn't stay running more than 3 seconds. Fuel Gauge showed 3/4 full. Keep this in mind for later.

Had it towed to my indy. We replaced the fuel pump and 1 venturi tube (a line inside the tank). When I got the car back it started right up with no problem.

Now, I don't know if it was the venturi tube or the new fuel pump that fixed it, but I did realize something in the process. My fuel gauge is NOT accurate.

Do yourself one big favor...get a few gas cans...fill them up...and put a few more gallons of fuel in the tank to make sure you actually have fuel before spending any money on repairs. I am to believe I was simply out of fuel and my gauge had me tricked into thinking I had 3/4 tank when I was actually on empty.

These may be helpful
Porsche 996 Fuel Problems

Fuel Gauge Shows Full All The Time
It's at the dealer now - flatbedded this morning. Over the weekend I did put in one gallon to see if the gauge was inaccurate since they just fixed the fuel level sensor. But it didn't start. Maybe one gallon wasn't enough.

They are looking at it today or tomorrow so it can be repaired by Friday evening. I'll give an update once I hear back from them. Thanks everyone.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:12 PM
996Pilot
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aerobatic planes (pulling g's in every direction) don't use "in-tank" fuel pumps - not many planes do. They DO however use boost pumps to feed the fuel pump (usually engine mounted). Planes rely quite a bit on massive air flow at altitude to keep alot of their components cool. They don't do well on the ground in hot weather. All of that said, I've spent quite a bit more that 60-100K for an airplane (or two) that had much more go wrong with it due to poorly engineered parts or systems (think Cessna 210 retractable landing gear system). As pointed out - the cost of the vehicle is not the issue. Engineering designs are all a tradeoff. The trick is to make ALL of the tradeoffs in the proper areas.

My $0.02
Old 09-07-2010, 04:59 PM
aadrew10
Instructor

Originally Posted by 996Pilot
As pointed out - the cost of the vehicle is not the issue. Engineering designs are all a tradeoff. The trick is to make ALL of the tradeoffs in the proper areas.

My $0.02
Perfectly put. Nice chatting with you guys, didn't mean to upset anyone.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Perfectly put. Nice chatting with you guys, didn't mean to upset anyone.
Just qouting so you know this is for you. No real problem with what ever you say. I do know there are a few ways of learning like reading or experience. Well the experience of car trouble on the road instills much more tramatic locking in of what reality is compared to just reading. Just take what anybody says as trying to give the feeling of stranded on a hwy with out your cell phone in car theft central . I'm too tempted to ramble on about crazy things trying to make things funny enough to keep Ed old ivangene coming back....anyway......

G forces in acorbatic aircraft is primarily the same direction as when in a steady state parked on the landing gear except the force in flight is higher. Although some acrobatic manuevers will pull negative G's it isn't for too long of a period. Many fuel systems for acrobatic crafts are gravity fed. Keeping it simple instead of needing a high pressure pump.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, I've always waited for the fuel light to come on before refueling and this is with all of the cars I've owned - Nissans, BMWs, and Porsche. Heck, this is what everybody I know does.

I think some of you guys give Porsche less credit than they deserve. These aren't faberge eggs. It's one thing to want the best for your Porsche, but it's another to overthink and over do it when it's not necessary. Meaning, refueling when the light comes on is a normal condition so the fuel pump should be engineered to handle that situation with a high MTBF.

If I refueled at every 1/2 tank, then I would be refueling every other day.

/m

Quick Reply: Help - just started car, then it shut off...UPDATE