Sponsored by:

Here's an example of why some dealers are referred to as stealers

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:48 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Here's an example of why some dealers are referred to as stealers

I'm looking for a number replacement parts to take care of some minor issues on the C4S and Boxster and called a couple of places to get pricing. For reference, I contacted Sunset Imports as I tend to buy a lot of stuff from them. I also called the local Indianapolis dealer as some of the parts are small and it may make it worthwhile to pay a small premium to avoid the shipping cost. Wrong.

Items priced included the interior light cover (996 555 557 06 C53) at $48.85 vs. $108.32, the small cover to the left of the light switch (996 552 621 01 A03) at $10.xx vs $26.49 and finally, the cap for the wiper arm nut (944 628 305 01). I only priced the last item locally and it was $3.12 - almost reasonable. Even allowing $15 for shipping costs from Oregon, the local prices + sales tax are over 100% more expensive than mail order. Wow.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:58 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep did the same thing and I thought So Cal dealers were out of their minds.

But legally you're supposed to be paying Indiana state tax on the items you purchased online so the tax difference is not something that the dealers are doing out of profit. You'll notice that when you file your taxes and have to pay then.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:12 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Thats why it a rare occasion that I will buy from a local dealer, However when I bought my Aerokit parts one of my local dealers matched suncoast prices! The parts guy there was awesome. They have since been acquired by another dealer so those days are gone.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:20 AM
white99c2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my first Porsche from Tom Wood Porsche in Indianapolis. When I was married we bought 4 P-Cars from them and they do not negotiate. Its a monopoly, the closest dealer to them is 2 hours away and parts are list price minus 10% if you're a PCA member.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:24 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by azrob226
I bought my first Porsche from Tom Wood Porsche in Indianapolis. When I was married we bought 4 P-Cars from them and they do not negotiate. Its a monopoly, the closest dealer to them is 2 hours away and parts are list price minus 10% if you're a PCA member.
They do not negotiate? 2 hours is a small trip not to have to deal with a jerk off dealership.

The wife and I went to visit some friends in central/northern jersey this past weekend (from Delaware) and we must have passed 5 p-car dealers along the way.

It's nice to have options....
Old 08-31-2010, 11:37 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

A few years ago I had a chat with the local dealer's parts guy. He explained how Sunset (and a few others) are able to provide these sorts of discounts. Apparently Porsche deeply discounts some parts to dealers. Dealers supposedly pass on these discounts to customers. Sunset amortizes these savings across all of their parts, instead of just the ones that Porsche discounts. This works out to about a 15-20% savings across the board. The local guy expressed his frustration that he did not have the manpower/time/authorization to do the same. Don't know if this is true - or the entire explanation, but it made sense.

My problem with Sunset is when I need something fast. Their ship time is slowwwwww. One time I ordered a hatch trim part for my 968. They then ordered it from Porsche's warehouse (Atlanta?) and had it shipped to Oregon. There they inspected it (appreciated!), repackaged, and sent it on to me in NC. It took weeks. Ordering it locally might have cost me another $30-$50, but I would have had it in days.

That said, I like dealing with Sunset. The guys who answer the phone know their stuff. When I have time I always try to buy from them. Their current price on 996 window regulators is incredibly cheaper than locally.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I try to give local businesses my tax money, but my local Porsche dealer makes it very difficult. Heck, my local BMW dealer won't give me the best price, but they'll be at least close enough for me.

Perhaps the Porsche dealer is factoring in the cost of overnight shipping???

/m
Old 08-31-2010, 11:48 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

I have bought parts from New Country Porsche (Greenwich) and Fairfield Porsche. I was told over the phone once that price they quote for parts are recommended retail prices from Porsche. The two parts departments have different recommended retail pricing in their computer systems for the same part. Go figure..
Old 08-31-2010, 11:50 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Michael-Dallas
I try to give local businesses my tax money, but my local Porsche dealer makes it very difficult. Heck, my local BMW dealer won't give me the best price, but they'll be at least close enough for me.

Perhaps the Porsche dealer is factoring in the cost of overnight shipping???

/m
I would love to give a local dealer the business but they are more interested in raping their existing customers than getting additional business.
My local Porsche dealers parts/service is literally 2 minutes drive from my house and their other location is 3 minutes from my office!
Old 08-31-2010, 11:54 AM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

I have bought a lot of parts from Sunset and think they are great. As far as timing, the time it takes to get it from Porsche if the part is not in stock is about the same for Sunset or any other dealer (and my experience is that Sunset has a better stock due to their volume). You can pay for expedited shipping from Porsche, I think it is 20% of the cost of the part with a minimum. The time from Oregon can be frustrating, although Sunset will overnight it for a fee. Once they missed my overnight shipping and I was frustrated as the shipment was also delayed due to a wreck. They refunded all the shipping costs.

The local dealers around here are all over the board on the pricing. One will be higher on some items and lower on others compared to the other local dealer. Never any real pattern that I have found. Both seem to mark up from list prices, typically 15%+ over the "list price." I know some of the parts guys and sometimes they will give me a break, never hurts to ask.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:25 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

And at most local dealers you should have a PCA discount.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:37 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
And at most local dealers you should have a PCA discount.
yeah, 10% off parts marked up 20% over list, thanks allot.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:31 PM
rb101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I typically go through Suncoast as their prices are about the same as Sunset. They get orders from Atlanta warehouse in a day or two and my parts will be at door the next afternoon. I do have to pay FL sales tax for them.

Rick
99 996C4
87 944S
Old 08-31-2010, 04:40 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
yeah, 10% off parts marked up 20% over list, thanks allot.
So true. My local dealer is a stones through from my house and I have yet to purchase any parts from them.

Sunset if I can wait, Suncoast if it's a bit more urgent.

My dealer has 2 04 run of the mill 996s with really low mileage listed for $43K & $47k.

When can I get my ticket to fantasy camp?
Old 08-31-2010, 04:54 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand that there are pricing differences between dealers. What I don't understand why all porsche owners seem to feel that parts should be "free" or have little to no markup. A dealer has to pay for lots of things.. Shelf space, employees, healthcare, benefits, floorplans, rent etc etc. They are in business to make a profit and the service/parts side IS where the money is made (moreso than in sales).

I am glad some dealers give better pricing and that, thanks to Al Gore's internet, are learning that their local guy may not always be the cheapest. People can still vote with their wallets and I hope as smart consumers, people continue to do so.

Quick Reply: Here's an example of why some dealers are referred to as stealers