996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

which would you get : X5 35d or Pepper S

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 10:21 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to consider the X5 Diesel, you may want to give the Touareg a look.

I am on my second Touareg.

The new 2011 Touareg is going to be out soon and the V6 TDI is a wonderful engine.

I was considering a Cayenne Turbo, but came across a V10 Touareg and could not let it get away. The V10 TDI sounds like an orchestra playing. Just amazing. Not to mention the torque.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:54 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some thoughts about diesel car ownership from a former owner:

When refueling......

1. Diesel fuel doesn't evaporate on the ground like gasoline does. If you're not careful, you'll get it on your shoes.

2. Not every gas station sells diesel.

3. Pump handles often have "diesel grime" on them, making your hands smelly from using self-service pumps. This makes carrying disposable (latex) gloves a good idea.

The good things about diesel have already been said, insofar as torque, mileage, and range are concerned. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by VGM911; 08-29-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:01 AM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

35d all the way. We've had our 2011 35d for a month now and we love it. BMW is giving $4500 in credit and you will also qualify for the $1800 federal alternative fuel tax credit. And if you did the BMW Ultimate Drive, then I believe you qualify for an additional $1k in credit.

The biggest downside is the Diesel Exhaust Fliud. The AdBlue is expensive from the dealer, but cheap at VW dealers and dirt cheap at truck stops. Every DEF fillup should last at least 10k miles, but that varies on driving conditions. Ours burn so clean that the exhaust tips are shiny and have no soot on them.

We get a bit over 21mpg (as indicated by OBC) in mixed city and hwy driving, mostly city driving. As you already know, the torque is incredible.

God, I love the smell of diesel in the morning!

/m

Quick Reply: which would you get : X5 35d or Pepper S