996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

A tall guy

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 12:52 AM
mopar bob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the seat upright. I now drive a 944 S2 with 928 GTS 8 way seats and have good head room. It had good head room with the 4 way seats. I want to get into a 911 again, but don't want to go old school for a daily driver. I may need to save a few more nickle and dimes OK a few quarters also to buy a 997.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:08 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Strange how I was day dreaming the roof was too high just the other day in my coupe and I'm 5'9"

Possibly using the telescopic wheel feature could help along with tilting the seat down in front.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Pat
Advanced

I'm 6'3" and proportionately average. I bought a Boxster, but considered a 996. The headroom is pretty much the same between the two cars. I am trying to get as much room as possible, and have made custom seat mounts and bought a Cobra Imola Pro seat. The combination of the two put the back end of the seat on the floor and got me another 1.5" of headroom. Maybe slightly more.
I bought the Brey Krause tall guy seat mount with sub bar, but that still left an inch between the bottom of the seat and the floor.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:40 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat
I'm 6'3" and proportionately average. I bought a Boxster, but considered a 996. The headroom is pretty much the same between the two cars. I am trying to get as much room as possible, and have made custom seat mounts and bought a Cobra Imola Pro seat. The combination of the two put the back end of the seat on the floor and got me another 1.5" of headroom. Maybe slightly more.
I bought the Brey Krause tall guy seat mount with sub bar, but that still left an inch between the bottom of the seat and the floor.
Actually the 996 has a lot more headroom than the Boxster. Another plus is you can recline the seat back at more angle on the 996 when it is pushed all the way back. I measured the windshield heights and found the Boxster inches shorter than the 996. I had both cars for several years.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Pat
Advanced

Hmmm, interesting. I have only owned a Boxster, and for only a few months. I have sat in some 996s and various 986s, and always felt they were similar. Here are the specifications from Porsche, with supporting documentation.
986 internal dimensions: front headroom (mm): 975
http://www.autobuyguide.com/2001/12-...ons/index.html
996 internal dimensions: front headroom (mm): 965
http://www.autobuyguide.com/2001/12-...ons/index.html
I will say that, in a 996, one can tilt the seat back more to "create" more headroom. That said, one can also create more headroom and still sit how one wants by putting the top down on the 986. Of course, neither solution is perfect, as one requires a potentially odd seating position and elimination of leg room, while the other requires the right weather conditions. Which is why I don't think either factor should be considered in terms of a headroom discussion, and the stats tell the true story.

Quick Reply: A tall guy