Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 02:41 AM
greenbe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Backmarker
Did you check with lapd?

http://www.911pcar.com/

I agree with others that you could sell your 'roller' and buy a whole new car for a lot less hassle than getting a new motor. LAPD buys rollers.
I checked their site they have a number of engines but no 3.6. I also checked ebay and craigslist nationwide. There are all sorts of engines but no 3.6 or 3.8.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:46 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

You'd be amazed at the reputation of MotorMeister -- steer clear of them at all costs! Search the web, you'll be amazed at the stories.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:26 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

Not trying to be a pessimist but it sounds like an advertisement for LN Engineering. You registered in Aug 2010 and started a post with, what seemed like, no knowledge of your possible problem. Now your frightening everyone with the cost of a new replacement engine & praising LN Engineering citing its cost and need to avoid "serious damage." Next your advising on clutch replacement with the IMS change when you clearly did not have very much mechanical knowledge in your first post. Lastly you go on to talk about how you're going to start a blog about it which I'm sure will be filled with LN Engineering advertising.

Originally Posted by greenbe
As I already said in the post, the LN Engineering ceramic IMS is IMHO a must-do, especially for your 2000. If your clutch has over 60K miles, then I would just replace both the clutch and IMS tomorrow, seriously. If you have a young clutch, then you can debate on this forum with others the merits of shelling the 1500 for the IMS proactively (500 for the part). Just be aware of the potential of serious damage resulting in an expensive rebuild or worse needing a new block ($8K now).

I am going to blog this whole thing as I go, I am getting set up for a bore scope next week and if that looks reasonable we go for the teardown and inspect. At that point I'll know the damage, and so will you!
Old 08-26-2010, 09:31 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

Oh boy. Perhaps he is a quick learner? Never a picture of his car or the current roller he possesses though...
Old 08-26-2010, 09:59 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm not sure where some of the information guys are quoting is coming from, but I've just been shopping for a 3.4L for my race car, and you can get a 3.4 for just over $13k (that is net of the core charge). I don't know what the price difference is on the 3.6L engines. I would contact SunCoast. They have very good prices on engines.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Rob996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This entire post has gone off the rails!!

I am quite disenchanted with wide variance of solutions and prices, when we don't actually know the cause of the failure. This post is going to scare the sh*t out so many owners without any engine problems, under the premise that every M96 is will fail, and furthermore M96 engines will become impossible to find.. I do not believe this to be true..

Any engine failure is unfortunate, and spending over $20k to repair is even more unfortunate..

PS. Is this post an infomercial for LN ?????
Old 08-26-2010, 11:14 AM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On any day there are 2 or 3 threads running about complete engine failures of m96 based cars . I feel lucky that I got out of my 996 when I did.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:55 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsjmc
On any day there are 2 or 3 threads running about complete engine failures of m96 based cars . I feel lucky that I got out of my 996 when I did.
I wish I still had my '99 Cab, no worries with my new motor that Porsche goodwilled me about 10k miles ago.

I feel that Porsche should cover any motor related failure to the original owner of the car that is not caused by neglect or abuse, so long as the car is properly serviced and maintained.

Any modern well maintained and serviced motor should last 200k miles without catistrophic failure. Rings, valve guides, gaskets and seals may need to be replaced, but the rods, crank and cams and their related bearings should go the distance. Accessories like water pump, starter and alternator will need replacement though. For some reason these aren't made to last.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 108 Posts

Of course on any given day there are tens of thousands of drivers with M97/97 engines out driving without any problems.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:12 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

Posting a picture of his 996 really doesnt mean anything. Now lets hear what shop has his 996 (profile doesnt reveal his location) and maybe an ambitious Rennlister will follow up on the status of the repair. Read through the OP's posts in this thread and it will show an increasing use of scare tactics (engines constantly failing with 90 plus 996s lining up at Motormeister and the costs of engines reaching the value of 996s) and further advertising for L&N Engineering.

Originally Posted by chsu74
Oh boy. Perhaps he is a quick learner? Never a picture of his car or the current roller he possesses though...
Old 08-26-2010, 05:31 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jw97C2S
Posting a picture of his 996 really doesnt mean anything. Now lets hear what shop has his 996 (profile doesnt reveal his location) and maybe an ambitious Rennlister will follow up on the status of the repair. Read through the OP's posts in this thread and it will show an increasing use of scare tactics (engines constantly failing with 90 plus 996s lining up at Motormeister and the costs of engines reaching the value of 996s) and further advertising for L&N Engineering.
+1

I especially like this recent statement from the OP "As the fleet ages and the IMS all fail".

If this post is indeed genuine then the OP has gained quite a bit of mechanical knowledge since his first several posts when he himself admitted to not having much understanding of these engines. He goes from being a "green"(pun intended) owner in terms of mechanical knowledge to stating that all of these engines will experience IMS failures in mere days.

Greenbe - please post some concrete proof of your engine failure i.e. shop invoices etc.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:54 PM
greenbe
Advanced

Originally Posted by jw97C2S
I am new to Rennlist absolutely. I did some searches about 5 years ago and I wish now that I had spent more time learning about 911 details. I haven't had time to work on pictures since I have my hands full trying to find a new engine. The car is located in Mountain View CA and is Seal grey on grey 2002 C2 Cab 6 speed with 91K miles. The car is registered in my name. I haven't yet picked the shop, I am waiting on availability and scheduling from the two best candidates.

Everyone on this forum has been real helpful on suggesting solutions to the problem, and I have followed up on all of them. So far I have only found one place with a rebuilt motor ready and available that matches my car. I've probably called about 10 nationwide.

Only now does this thread turn negative that there is some conspiracy. Or course I don't have anything to do with LN Engineering if you go to the beginning of the post you will see it was suggested along the way by many people I talked to in researching. The problems with IMS are well documented in the Excellence magazine articles which people can read and form their own opinion. I am saying what I would do if I have to do it again, and that is my opinion. If you know of another bearing alternative that is not LN Eng then please post it and let people decide on their own.

You cannot accuse me of claiming to be an expert if I never claimed that. If you have some expertise and can tell us why LN Eng is not good please do and save me a second blown IMS. If you have any statistics on the number of IMS failures please let us know, I think everyone wants to know that.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:05 PM
greenbe
Advanced

Originally Posted by mglobe
I'm not sure where some of the information guys are quoting is coming from, but I've just been shopping for a 3.4L for my race car, and you can get a 3.4 for just over $13k (that is net of the core charge). I don't know what the price difference is on the 3.6L engines. I would contact SunCoast. They have very good prices on engines.
The price quotes for P reman with 2yr unlimited miles warranty came from Carlsen Porsche and Livermore Porsche. The prices were virtually identical. A lot of people have questioned the high price (I mean live as well as on the forum). What I've been told is P recently raised the price, eveny my tech thought it should be 13K as you say but he checked as well and got the same. Feel free to verify the price, if you find a lower one anywhere in the west I will follow up on it.

Thank you for the constructive SunCoast tip I just called them and left a message they were busy.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:12 PM
P7
Advanced

The price quotes for P reman with 2yr unlimited miles warranty came from Carlsen Porsche and Livermore Porsche. The prices were virtually identical. A lot of people have questioned the high price (I mean live as well as on the forum). What I've been told is P recently raised the price, eveny my tech thought it should be 13K as you say but he checked as well and got the same. Feel free to verify the price, if you find a lower one anywhere in the west I will follow up on it.

Thank you for the constructive SunCoast tip I just called them and left a message they were busy.
I called SunCoast out of curiosity and the price for a 3.6 is $18K minus the core which is $3.1K and installation is about $1K - so it's about $16K total which is much better than what I have heard about the prices in Canada - $27K

They also confirmed that they have done about a copule replacements of the IMS bearing using the LN one which is surprising for a porsche dealer and he told me the price was around $2600

Are you sure your engine was fried due to IMS?
Old 08-26-2010, 06:48 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

So let me understand this. Your were on your way to your wrench when your engine blew on your 996. You towed your 996 to your wrench, had him diagnose the "blown" engine and then had your 996 towed back to your house? Doesn't make a lot of sense but I guess you could post a diagnosis break-down from your wrench showing the "blown" engine on the letterhead of the wrench that performed the diagnosis.

"My engine light went on, but no noticable difference in the car it was driving normally. I figured it was probably gas gap or oil cap or emissions, I called my mechanic and was on the way to stop by and have him check the code. He did not think I needed to tow it. Within a mile I had a sudden loss of torque and heard a bad rattle as the engine idled. I coasted to a stop. On inspection he said I need a new engine, most likely the IMS bearing is gone. On further research, it is more likely it is one or both cam chains (not sure I got the details right) that have broken. Either way the entire engine needs to come apart."

If I'm not mistaken by your post below, your aircooled wrench has 4 watercooled cars waiting for the IMS L&N Engineering bearings waiting for installation. Easy enough to verify both your diagnosis & the L&N bearing installation if you would provide the name of your wrench.

"The latest chapter of this saga is that my indy guy now has 4 watercools lined up for IMS replacement, in response to the Excellence magazine article. That has really touched off storm. Just today he got a shipment of LN Engineering parts and the tool. I will keep you updated on how he likes them after installation."

And btw, I interpreted your advanced knowledge when I read this statement:

"As I already said in the post, the LN Engineering ceramic IMS is IMHO a must-do, especially for your 2000. If your clutch has over 60K miles, then I would just replace both the clutch and IMS tomorrow, seriously. If you have a young clutch, then you can debate on this forum with others the merits of shelling the 1500 for the IMS proactively (500 for the part). Just be aware of the potential of serious damage resulting in an expensive rebuild or worse needing a new block ($8K now). "

I am new to Rennlist absolutely. I did some searches about 5 years ago and I wish now that I had spent more time learning about 911 details. I haven't had time to work on pictures since I have my hands full trying to find a new engine. The car is located in Mountain View CA and is Seal grey on grey 2002 C2 Cab 6 speed with 91K miles. The car is registered in my name. I haven't yet picked the shop, I am waiting on availability and scheduling from the two best candidates.

Everyone on this forum has been real helpful on suggesting solutions to the problem, and I have followed up on all of them. So far I have only found one place with a rebuilt motor ready and available that matches my car. I've probably called about 10 nationwide.

Only now does this thread turn negative that there is some conspiracy. Or course I don't have anything to do with LN Engineering if you go to the beginning of the post you will see it was suggested along the way by many people I talked to in researching. The problems with IMS are well documented in the Excellence magazine articles which people can read and form their own opinion. I am saying what I would do if I have to do it again, and that is my opinion. If you know of another bearing alternative that is not LN Eng then please post it and let people decide on their own.

You cannot accuse me of claiming to be an expert if I never claimed that. If you have some expertise and can tell us why LN Eng is not good please do and save me a second blown IMS. If you have any statistics on the number of IMS failures please let us know, I think everyone wants to know that.

Quick Reply: M96 3.6 Motor Blown