Sponsored by:

Rear quarter window mechanism broken

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 12:07 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rear quarter window mechanism broken

It seems my rear quarter window mechanism is broken (cabriolet).
I was raising it when I heard this noise and it stopped working. Luckily in a raised position because I cannot move it by hand.

Now I need to open up to see what's wrong but I can't get the side panel off.
Anybody knows how to do that?
The back seat holder uses some kind of hex bolt but I can't find the right size.
Metric 2 is too small and 2.5 is too large!
Old 08-17-2010, 04:35 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Here you go

John
Attached Images   
Old 08-17-2010, 10:02 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Thanks. What is this?
Attached Images  

Last edited by MagnusB; 08-17-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:00 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Oh, well, it's off. Not that it helped me much :-)
The quarter window and the mechanism is sealed ...
Now what to do?

I need to figure out what's broken inside.
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2010, 08:39 PM
MagnusB
Pro

So I finally gathered some energy to take care of this and got the mechanism out.
It wasn't so easy to get access to loosen all those bolts ...
Now the problems is what to do next.

The wire is frayed in places and I probably should buy a new mechanism.
What do you think?

Also, I just can't figure out how the mechanism is supposed to work.
The wire going back to the mechanism has no clear "line of sight".
Attached Images   
Old 10-23-2010, 09:02 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Look at the relationship of the central block and the pulleys in both the open and closed position, and see if you can figure out how the cable is routed. The cable is probably a fine multistranded flexable one in stainless steel. It shouldn't be too hard to find. Maybe see it it looks like it could be detached and replaced. The ends may need to be fabed and swedged or soldered on. If you don't need or like the challenge, just buy the new assembly, I'm sure it's inexpensive;-)
Old 10-24-2010, 03:32 AM
MagnusB
Pro

I really wish it was simple but one end of the cable is fastened on the underside of the roll, and the roll is fastened to the mechanism in such a way that if I bend it up it most likely will break. Really looks like a need a new mechanism.

Originally Posted by nick49
Look at the relationship of the central block and the pulleys in both the open and closed position, and see if you can figure out how the cable is routed. The cable is probably a fine multistranded flexable one in stainless steel. It shouldn't be too hard to find. Maybe see it it looks like it could be detached and replaced. The ends may need to be fabed and swedged or soldered on. If you don't need or like the challenge, just buy the new assembly, I'm sure it's inexpensive;-)
Old 08-05-2011, 12:49 AM
nghiaho58
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi.

I have the same problem on my 2000 C2 Cab. Does the top must be in full open position to open the panel at the quarter window?

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:58 PM
pesuazo
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Crap, there must be a virus, my rear quarter passenger side window does not move. Some weird/clicking sounds coming from back there.....
I believe the top can be up to remove the inside panel...but probably will have a lot more freedom of movement with the top down...
Old 08-05-2011, 08:26 PM
waveandwen
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am in the middle of this issue as well. Getting the regulator mechanism out of the car is a bitch. Had to remove cab top to access. Once regulator was out, found the same issue as OP. Managed to rewind the cable around the motor driven drum abd got it back on correctly. Reassembly very straightforward and now works fine. Fingers crossed that the cable does not jump off the drum again; not really sure what cuased it to in the first place and left a few kinks in the damaged cable. New assenbly is ridiculus expensive: $600 - 800 ????.

Now dealing with convertible realignment issues. My top now only reaches within 3 inches of the header rail and needs to be pulled manually to engage the front top latching hook.

Any one know how to correctly align / adjust cab top ?

Dave.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:02 PM
pesuazo
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by waveandwen
I am in the middle of this issue as well. Getting the regulator mechanism out of the car is a bitch. Had to remove cab top to access. Once regulator was out, found the same issue as OP. Managed to rewind the cable around the motor driven drum abd got it back on correctly. Reassembly very straightforward and now works fine.
Dave.
Is it obvious how the wire runs thru the guides/drums/pulleys?

I want to tackle this issue next weekend, this weekend belongs to the mufflers...
Old 08-05-2011, 11:48 PM
waveandwen
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

pesuazo,

It is somewhat intuitive. The cable wouods around the driven drum, ketting one side out while drawing in the other. in one direction it moves the slider down and the other moves the slider up. There is a pulley at the oposite end from the driven drum. A slot in the pullty is used the as the last step to get the cable over the pully once wound around the drum correctly. At the midway point is a braket that cable slides over/through. Plastic guides on the braket will help show the routing of the cable. one on the outside, the other on the inside.

Hope this helps. If you want, give me call and I'll provide a better description than I can type.

Could still use some help adjusting cab top.

Anyone ?

Dave.

Quick Reply: Rear quarter window mechanism broken