Sponsored by:

i know this is a no-no

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

JR2010,
Would you put that same Chevy engine in the red car in the back of your avatar?
If the roles/price were reveresed, would you put the Porsche engine in your Vette?
Old 08-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I think he did......he said it was a replica.....
Old 08-15-2010, 11:23 PM
johnnyreb2010
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default it was just a question

Originally Posted by Thundertub
JR2010,
Would you put that same Chevy engine in the red car in the back of your avatar?
If the roles/price were reveresed, would you put the Porsche engine in your Vette?
yes thundertub, its a replica, but its just a toy, something to play with, i don't get serious about it, i own a business & it attracts a crowd, it serves its purpose & it gets 10 times the looks my 996 or H2 gets, my little boy gets a kick out of it when i take him to school in it & we actually use it for some school functions, but it is what it is & nothing else, i like nice cars & i don't care if its mixed & matched as long as its nice & its not my MAIN ride. but guys i just wanted to ask this question to get an idea, i'm not BUYING this car, i said i had seen it and wanted to get some input & it turned out like i thought it would, there were some that said whatever floats your boat, some that said wtf, some that thought it wasn't a crime, & then theres some that well are jerks & i really don't give a crap what they think, but for the ones that took it for what it was, thank you for taking the time to explain it to me. now let me go find my picture of ferdinand & say my prayers.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:17 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Always fun to read as post-911 owners talk like purists. Once you dip your toe in the dirty water, does it really matter how far in you go?
Old 08-16-2010, 09:56 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb2010
yes thundertub, its a replica, but its just a toy, something to play with, i don't get serious about it, i own a business & it attracts a crowd, it serves its purpose & it gets 10 times the looks my 996 or H2 gets, my little boy gets a kick out of it when i take him to school in it & we actually use it for some school functions, but it is what it is & nothing else, i like nice cars & i don't care if its mixed & matched as long as its nice & its not my MAIN ride. but guys i just wanted to ask this question to get an idea, i'm not BUYING this car, i said i had seen it and wanted to get some input & it turned out like i thought it would, there were some that said whatever floats your boat, some that said wtf, some that thought it wasn't a crime, & then theres some that well are jerks & i really don't give a crap what they think, but for the ones that took it for what it was, thank you for taking the time to explain it to me. now let me go find my picture of ferdinand & say my prayers.
Can u post some pics? Would luv to see them.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:49 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Wow, let me get this straight: the Porsche owner that started the thread about how the installation of a GM engine has disgraced everything Porsche stands for owns a replica Lamborghini?

You can't make this stuff up, folks.

EDIT: Sorry, Johnnyreb, not trying to sound rude but having a difficult time biting my tongue this morning.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:50 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
You can do anything you want to these cars. However, once something other than a Porsche engine is installed they are not considered 'Porsches' anymore.
Is there a list of these rules someplace? Who sets them?

Originally Posted by ivangene
we could turn this into the "most modified P-car thread.... no matter how you gfeel about it, its cool that people do "stuff" and I admire them rather I would or would not do it..

just because I would not do it doesnt mean I dont think its cool they did.... and rather its an old Model T or a 2011 Porsche GT3RS.... having the ***** to modify something is what makes the world a cool place to be.

also I have zero input because I have never done those things... In high school I had a buddy put a 396 into a Datsun B210... yea, crazy (scary) but there are always people wanting to do that sort of thing...
Bingo. I'm not surprised that you "get" it, Ed.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:39 PM
cardsrule
Pro

Umm for 5k more you can buy my 79 930. I GUARANTEE it will run circles around this V8 powered car. I have got over 15k in just the suspension alone. Hell I want to buy a 02 996 so I might be up for a trade. For more info go to www.porsche930forsale.com. Sorry for the plug but I would hate to loose out on a sale to a V8 powered 911.

Scott
Old 08-16-2010, 01:52 PM
johnnyreb2010
Instructor

Default just the opposite

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Wow, let me get this straight: the Porsche owner that started the thread about how the installation of a GM engine has disgraced everything Porsche stands for owns a replica Lamborghini?

EDIT: Sorry, Johnnyreb, not trying to sound rude but having a difficult time biting my tongue this morning.
tooloud10, i started the thread & i do have the replica! what i said was that i know that the porsche purists would think that it would be a disgrace, i just wanted to know why. i love porsches but i'm not a porsche purists, i mean i have a 996 for gods sake. isn't that bad enough for a purist. i can appreciate any nice ride i don't care what brand it has on it. but thanks for your understanding, i think your one of the very few that gets it or don't get it, i don't know but i think we're in the minority here. but most of the answers is what i expected!
Old 08-16-2010, 02:32 PM
johnnyreb2010
Instructor

Default nice color

cardsrule thats a beauitiful car but i use mine for daily & semi-daily driving. i will probably get a 98' 993 next, thats what i was actually looking at when i bought the 02' 996. i think the older (wide body) cars look better but i wanted something a little newer & a few more hp is why i went with the 996. i don't think you'll have any problem with selling it, good luck
Old 08-16-2010, 09:51 PM
911mike99
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jasper
Well...we're talking air cooled 911 here right, not liquid cooled 996. If you've never owned or really lived with an air cooled 911 then it will be harder for you to understand, but I'll try.

The Porsche 911 is an historic car (in the very real sense of the word) because it is an engineering triumph. It is a motoring icon because the whole is more than the sum of it's parts. It all works together like magic.

A HUGE part of that magic is the air cooled flat six motor. That motor that has won more races than any man can count. It may not be the most powerful motor (although the twelve cylinder version made 1000+ horsepower back in the 1970's before anyone thought it was possible) but the engine is a jewel.

It's air cooled, it's dry sump, it's horizontally opposed....it's a true thoroughbred engine and it is at least 75% of the reason that Porsches are as important to the motoring world as they are today. Porsches reputation not just on the street, but on the track was earned with that engine.

The style of the 911 is neat and all, pretty maybe, but that's not why they are great. It's all about the motor.

So, replace the heart of a 911 with a transplant and you've pretty much lost the reason for owning a Porsche. You might as well brive a Corvette.

Sure you can pose away with your V8 911, no one will know the difference just by looking at it. You will also almost certainly win all the stoplight drag races if you ever find another 911 dumb enough to drag race in the first place. That is missing the point of a 911 entirely.

Anyway - it really does come down to the "if you have to ask then you won't understand" thing. I know it's a chicken **** answer - sorry.

Finally - a tune up shouldn't cost you $1500. If that's what you are paying then you're doing it wrong. You're not taking it in to the dealeship are you?!?
Nicely said, I 100% agree with you
Old 08-16-2010, 10:00 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the price is too much for a chopped car. Other than that you would have to test drive the car with real driving to find out how it handles at speeds the original car was designed for. Braking, cornering and all the wild ideas of hard handling the originals can deal with. You never know what ugly problems an off the standard design might give. Not the thing to find when set up for a deadly crash if there is a problem in there.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:26 PM
ohdavey6286
Pro

I think if I was ever to swap another engine in that was not a Porsche engine, I would consider the Subaru STI's Boxer 4. You can make 400 wheel very easily with one of these.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tooloud10

Yeah, I was also confused there, ha.

Quick Reply: i know this is a no-no