996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

could this be the ignition switch ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 11:53 PM
edswenson
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could this be the ignition switch ?

The other day I noticed my A/C fan didn't work. Subsequently I noticed the seat heating and windshield wipers don't work either. Fuses seem ok. The key is a little sticky, I guess, does it make sense that this could be the famous ignition switch problem?
Old 08-11-2010, 12:08 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Absolutely!
Old 08-11-2010, 12:22 AM
edswenson
5th Gear

Thanks, after reading a few other threads I tested with the ignition key in the 1 position and all those devices work without the engine running. I guess now all I have to figure out is how to view the DIY forum
Old 08-11-2010, 12:29 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Welcome.............did we see your 996 yet, pics or ban! Yeah, def your ignition switch!
Old 08-11-2010, 12:37 AM
mavthenav
Racer

yep it's the switch, < 30 mins to fix it,
Old 08-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't do a write up yet, but I did take some pictures.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:55 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's funny. My switch just died tonight playing free ***** back and forth with no engaging the starter. cuss cuss cuss didn't do it at home is the real pain. I was out after chineese food for dinner. Why it wanted to make the passenger side door not lock when locking the door I don't know.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:44 PM
johnnyreb2010
Instructor

Default get an extra!

Originally Posted by edswenson
The other day I noticed my A/C fan didn't work. Subsequently I noticed the seat heating and windshield wipers don't work either. Fuses seem ok. The key is a little sticky, I guess, does it make sense that this could be the famous ignition switch problem?
mine is gettin fixed as we speak, i drove the last month with it like this, you can still use it, you just have to wiggle the key back to the left a lil' bit & everything should work, make sure when you turn ignition off you pull it out to the left, or the battery will be dead in the morning, to be sure its off the radio will cut off after a few seconds. you can get them at NAPA for $12, make sure to buy a extra & keep it in your car just in case of an emergency, don't want to be out one night & can't get the ignition to move.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:20 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Well I took the just replace the elctrical switch route and the part didn't fit right. Ended up its the newer system with no replacement switch so porsche did the replacement ha ha. Germany doesn't have to worry about a national debt as much now.

Here's the story.
I go for chinese food.
Stopped at mini mart for cokes first
key rolls snaps something and doesn't start
replace diy electric switch in back
non effective with no starting but semi fits and lights things
no go part doesn't fit bayonet from key system right enough and plastic doesn't flush to metal
tow truck headed to porsche needs to make sure steering is unlocked
reconnect battery so tip lever will come out of park to position car
first think a fraction from kep position when jiggling to check if steering is free the car starts
now key is stuck and wont turn either way
drove car onto flatbed and left it running
Keith the service dept guy got hit with the same thing on his car where if its the newer mechanism none of the replacement switches will fit.

Good thing today, my replacement scubs cert card arrived

Labor is more than the new expensive solution part........... $544 total bill

Oh yah then the mecahic wanted to sell me a porsche battery hahahaha
Old 08-17-2010, 12:44 AM
edswenson
5th Gear

ok, a couple of updates

first - pics or ban - gotta go with pic, not the best but will add a pic to my profile.

second - turning the key back counterclockwise a bit does make everything work for, so I'm in no
hurry now to fix.

third - got the part from autohausAZ and will have a go at swapping the 10$ part
because

porsche wants $600 to fix, and an independent wants $400. I need to know if they'll do
the whole housing or just the electrical part, I forgot to ask.

Thanks for all the great tips.

The engineer in me wants to know why/how the switch failed. Is it just a mechanical issue (seems like maybe a spring) ? Does the peculiar combination of what doesn't work make sense to anyone ?
It seems to me maybe these other things are disabled when in the "start" position because they might draw a lot of current, but that's just a guess.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:36 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by edswenson

porsche wants $600 to fix, and an independent wants $400. I need to know if they'll do
the whole housing or just the electrical part, I forgot to ask.
The dealer will replace the entire lock assembly, not just the switch. I also just had a $600 estimate since its not covered by the CPO. I ordered the $13 w\switch yesterday.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:03 AM
Pac996
Drifting

A problem could arrise if the switch had already been replaced with the newer upgrade model. It's remove the dash to change the whole thing out. There is no replacement for just the electrical switch in the upgraded mechanism. Sooooo big bucks. I noticed my plastic section to be replaced was white. It might and might not be the only color used for the newer model switch. I do know the switch everyone else is able to use didn't work in mine.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:28 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

nice cab!

Old 08-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Just put in new switch, but key still stubborn to turn. It sounds like the entire lock assembly needs replaced the the dealer said. That job looks a bit harder than replacing just the switch...$20 and 1 hour of time down the drain. Time to order the entire lock assembly, but will wait for a cooler day to do that one!
Old 08-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Optical TDI
Just put in new switch, but key still stubborn to turn. It sounds like the entire lock assembly needs replaced the the dealer said. That job looks a bit harder than replacing just the switch...$20 and 1 hour of time down the drain. Time to order the entire lock assembly, but will wait for a cooler day to do that one!
I just replaced the electrical portion of my switch as well and it's actually stiffer to turn now than it was prior to the replacement. On the plus side, the key no longer wants to stick in the lock when it's being removed.

Quick Reply: could this be the ignition switch ?