Sponsored by:

Track car or Jet Trainer - No joke

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 12:23 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pac996
I was dizzy going between a mig 15 or 17 during the years after the wall came down. Shark werks touched on anual inspections and such. I'd have to wonder if the service using them is changing models and putting the spare parts on the market also. Then there is, is dealer of the parts keeping the prices down. The migs had cans you had to wonder if the story is right on hours of service life. Your find is undoubtably going to have better records of maintenance.

It is a tough choice. Your best bet for being current again is finding an instructor wanting to also keep his currency up. Be it enticing a guy into mixing day and night landings with check off's or what ever the best sceme could be.

All in all I'd say the plane. A car is the same as every other day. Seeing this world is what it's all about. We don't live forever and the plane will give you a very good view of the world. I'm sure there are some good airport housing communities out there you could find with a strip long enough for the plane along with hanger and qualified mechanic available. Probably the best route available if you'ld tie in with another retired military pilot and start pondering a flight of two IFR.

Anyway good luck pricing and finding if regular replacement items are easily available. I'd also check what current navigational equipment requirements are in comparison to the gear in the plane. I've also seen gyro's that were tumbled that wouldn't give a hint unless you'd be watching when it would go ape and settle back down. Even tumble resistant gyros can go bad from what I was told. All it requires for a non tumble resistant gyro to go bad is more than 45 degrees last I was told. I quess you know what I'm getting at is just don't kick the tires. I also hope you would get a modern nav package. Maybe even there is a plane out there with a better range. I also can't help to thing the air frame hours is very high and nearing a major inspection. Some planes just get scrapped since it's cheaper than the coast of a tear down.

What evers, nice find and good luck.
One word..

Dynon Avionics.

Sorry, I guess that was 2.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Go big or go home...

You think the trainer burns gas...

The only privately flown MIG 23 in the world...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/310637...astle_airshow/

Old 08-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mavthenav
Any of you guys pilots out there, if so you'll feel my pain on this one.....

The Plane or a Track car? They're both be around the same price, honestly.

Sean
Just a VFR here, but I would honestly choose the car for several reasons - starting with cost of ownership and ending with relative freedom of use.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:59 PM
mavthenav
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh the memory of afterburner take offs. A typical QRA (Quick Reaction Alert) in a fighter of this age used to be scramble at full afterburner and climb to 20,000ft to meet the tanker before heading off to engage the target, then refuel again for the return trip.

If you want to see another gas guzzler the only plane that can accelerate the whole way up vertical, http://www.capetownjets.com/electric.html, I've seen one of these take off , go full vertical, climb, run out of fuel and glide into land, and I know the nutter that did it.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:35 PM
mavthenav
Racer

Originally Posted by Stuttgart951
Just a VFR here, but I would honestly choose the car for several reasons - starting with cost of ownership and ending with relative freedom of use.
Freedom is relative isn't it? If we're talking freedom to jump in the car and drive then yes that is very easy and I enjoy my 996 every single day looking for one or two curves to give me the buzz without seeing blue flashing lights behind me. If we are talking taking a 911 on the streets and using it's full potential then no we don't have freedom for that.

This is where we all start to attend track days because we have the controlled environment to go full out. Therefore freedom comes at a cost not only in $ but in time also. We all know once we get hooked in DE's etc we start not only spending more money on the car but we also start planning weeks before the event to make sure it's all good to go. Even worse when you start thinking Track Car, that means trailer, car and truck to pull it all. Then storage of all the items, probably a good day to go get all the stuff prepped just for travelling.

Oh and short note on cost of ownership, my engine blew at a track day, cost me a small fortune to get my daily driver driving again. If you're going to play the game you have to expect some issues to crop up.

Now for flying regardless of Cessna 152 or Fighter Jet you have planning to do before you go flying, routes to plan and file, pre-checks etc. However once you take off and leave controlled airspace, you are able to use the full power and potential of the plane legally without blue lights behind you.

The difference in flying is that the skies are not as packed as our roads, especially for VFR traffic, and the people up there are (mainly) supposed to be a lot more skilled than the 17yr old that drove around the block to get his license and is now zooming up the freeway in daddy's souped up mustang.

The problem with Houston for pilots is that it's so flat, you need a fast plane to get you to some place with some scenery. Its a funny game flying or should I say buying a plane. You look at a 1970 Cessna 210 which is a prop with a cruise around 160mph for > $100K , granted it seats 4 comfortably but still takes you hours to get anywhere and then you see something like this that goes 3 times as fast and actually costs 50% less (it's actually cheaper than a 2005 GT3, lol) for the initial cost.

I've spent the last 5 years humming and hauing over a plane and still haven't pulled the trigger, but I'm getting closer.... I'm not the sort of pilot looking for a plane to act as a taxi-cab, I want to have some serious fun as well as showing my friends what can be done.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:55 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Go for the plane... ...and a Spec Miata for the track. ...along with a trailer and tow vehicle.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:12 PM
mavthenav
Racer

Then I won't be able to race against you in the club races......
Old 08-09-2010, 02:26 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

If you're vectored towards racing, forget the plane. You'll have more fun going wheel-to-wheel. And you've got the innate talent to be club racer without doubt. Stop messing around, and start building a car!
Old 08-09-2010, 02:28 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

BTW, from the proposed 2011 PCA club racing rules changes:

"3. Add new spec class based on Spec 996 for 1999 – 2004 996s with 3.4L or 3.6L engines."

http://pca.org/Activities/ClubRacing...singForms.aspx
Old 08-09-2010, 02:40 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm
Instructor

I still think "I OWN A FIGHTER JET" sounds better that "I OWN A TRACK PORSCHE" even though both sound good. THE JET WILL WIN the coolness factor and its one of thoes things that any pilot would love to put on there bucket list, even if its a fighter jet "trainer"... JET!!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 02:52 PM
mavthenav
Racer

It's far easier to get a womans clothes off with the fighter jet than the porsche, apparently porsche's are just common now....
Old 08-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everything being current in the plane I'd have to figure its a good deal unless there is a major inspection due. Being in Texas is there an option for guns on jets I'd street a track car, I'd also at least fly over mexico but never take a porsche across the border with the tool happy goons inspecting. Of course the jet I'd redo the ejection seat lever and label it seat lift if the border guys were wanting a look under the seat hehehe. That ought to get them to not screw with the plane at least untill they wake up.

Anyway there are some other great jets out there with longer range. Don't be too affraid of getting current again no matter what type rating. Well as long as the price is right for a/c and training.
The IAI Westwinds are what I thought of using cargo and recreational since they have the high wing good for uglier strips. Then they are just too expensive on airframes major inspection most need. Sellers will profess everything is current and yah right but next week or year its not current somewhere on the required inspections and maint.

I keep coming back to the plane being a fantastic deal and jabbering about what to check into about the currencies running out.

The Beech King Air if it was military service before up for sale would be worth a look. Fantastic range and if the lighter model like some citations its single pilot. I consider the single pilot a main thing like I'm sure you do. In the whole mess of the deal like stuck in a card game making a choice and any one of them has a weeping wing anti ice I'd go all in.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Car: Its the people you race with that make it!
Old 08-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yah but the plane can get him around the world unlike the car. International with the car? Land lovers saying the car this and that safety features have to be jacked around and super amounts of time shipping and hold for inspections.

Race the 996 and claim senility about taking the car out of street legal subjects
Old 08-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Car: driven in just two dimensions, generally limited to paved roads, upside down is not a recommended maneuver.

Plane: three dimensions, no limits other than the ground and space

Quick Reply: Track car or Jet Trainer - No joke