996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Track car or Jet Trainer - No joke

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,276 Likes on 473 Posts

My dad has a 48 navion...navy trainer...start saving for fuel...wozers its pricey!!
Old 08-07-2010, 09:24 PM
msark
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Been down the warbird road... With the jet you have to toss in $100 bills until the tailpipe is full and then go fly for 90 minutes. With the track car all you have to do is toss in 5 of those bills PER DAY!!!!
Old 08-08-2010, 01:14 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Consider how much either will cost you just sitting there if you happen to get busy with something else for a while.

I usually take any guesstimates about maintenance costs and double them to come fairly close.

With a track car, you will spend more time with others in a group--it brings people together for an event. Airplanes tend to give you more solo time. What is better for you?

An airplane is ready for you at any time (weather permitting) while a track car demands that you arrange your schedule around events. What's better for your "life schedule"?

You've flown jets before....so you know you can do it. What will keep challenging you over time?
Old 08-08-2010, 01:29 PM
falcon7x7
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
Consider how much either will cost you just sitting there if you happen to get busy with something else for a while.

I usually take any guesstimates about maintenance costs and double them to come fairly close.

With a track car, you will spend more time with others in a group--it brings people together for an event. Airplanes tend to give you more solo time. What is better for you?

An airplane is ready for you at any time (weather permitting) while a track car demands that you arrange your schedule around events. What's better for your "life schedule"?

You've flown jets before....so you know you can do it. What will keep challenging you over time?

X3 maintenance for Jets, ask me I KNOW!
Old 08-08-2010, 01:55 PM
smorris
Instructor

The Plane or a Track car? They're both be around the same price, honestly.

Sean[/QUOTE]

LOL...that's easy!
Buy a spec boxter and save the oher 30k. (or buy 2 spec boxters and I will drive the other for you!)
Old 08-08-2010, 02:00 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What are the fuel costs for a plane like that?
Old 08-08-2010, 02:44 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

they say if you have to ask.....

I wish I had such a dilemma.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:00 PM
911FM
Racer

Plane!!!

FM
Old 08-08-2010, 06:16 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm
Instructor

lets see, 410ga fuel tank @ 4.40 per gallon of fuel (this is houston int. airports prices) is 1,804.00 for 910 mile range only at cruse speed... cut it in 1/2 if were going all out...LOL

BUT if you get the JET I'll pitch in 100 dollars to go for a ride : ) I'm in san antonio.....
Old 08-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

initial costs may be the same.. but we both know the MUCH cheaper one to garage, give annuals to and keep "in the air" and ummm its not the Jet..
Old 08-08-2010, 10:27 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm
Instructor

I still say you get the jet and I'll type a review here on how much more fun it was to be in the passenger seat of a jet rather than a track car.... : )
Old 08-08-2010, 11:20 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 84 Posts

It's not my money, so I vote for...

Da plane! Da plane!!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:34 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

The plane is 3D, track car 2D, well, most of the time 2D

Tough choice really.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:52 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

cheaper??? well, the jet doesnt have IMS.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:28 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was dizzy going between a mig 15 or 17 during the years after the wall came down. Shark werks touched on anual inspections and such. I'd have to wonder if the service using them is changing models and putting the spare parts on the market also. Then there is, is dealer of the parts keeping the prices down. The migs had cans you had to wonder if the story is right on hours of service life. Your find is undoubtably going to have better records of maintenance.

It is a tough choice. Your best bet for being current again is finding an instructor wanting to also keep his currency up. Be it enticing a guy into mixing day and night landings with check off's or what ever the best sceme could be.

All in all I'd say the plane. A car is the same as every other day. Seeing this world is what it's all about. We don't live forever and the plane will give you a very good view of the world. I'm sure there are some good airport housing communities out there you could find with a strip long enough for the plane along with hanger and qualified mechanic available. Probably the best route available if you'ld tie in with another retired military pilot and start pondering a flight of two IFR.

Anyway good luck pricing and finding if regular replacement items are easily available. I'd also check what current navigational equipment requirements are in comparison to the gear in the plane. I've also seen gyro's that were tumbled that wouldn't give a hint unless you'd be watching when it would go ape and settle back down. Even tumble resistant gyros can go bad from what I was told. All it requires for a non tumble resistant gyro to go bad is more than 45 degrees last I was told. I quess you know what I'm getting at is just don't kick the tires. I also hope you would get a modern nav package. Maybe even there is a plane out there with a better range. I also can't help to thing the air frame hours is very high and nearing a major inspection. Some planes just get scrapped since it's cheaper than the coast of a tear down.

What evers, nice find and good luck.

Quick Reply: Track car or Jet Trainer - No joke