Sponsored by:

Not another IMS issue again !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Pac996
Is there a special pain killer for porsche owners?

Of course...take a dosage of Mobil 1 0w-40w and call me in the morning.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:46 AM
DaveSpeed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is my understanding that Porsche has stop rebuilding M96 engines. My Indy said a new engine from Porsche is listed at $31,000, he showed me the listing on his online parts list. I found the same listing at Porsche oem parts list $31K actual price $26.6K. At that price I would send the car to flat6 and let Jake rebuild the engine. I sure even with shipping the car it would be cheaper and better engine.

I would also guess the dealer cost of 27K is just for the engine and does not include taking the old one out and replacement.

Other option try suncost parts, but my guess is they will be around 26K also.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:49 AM
d11w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chsu74
997s are not void of engine failures. The early cars still have the M96 engines in them. They upgraded the IMS in 06 cars but it is unclear exactly when.
Yeah, I understand that the first gen. 997s have the same engine as the 996s. I was wondering specifically about the 997s from '09 onwards.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:04 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the old list from Sunset. hard to believe the price disparity.

Last edited by soverystout; 08-12-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chago996
I hope Jake is correct that above 70k usually good, for my own sake, since mine is at 115k. But from a statistical point of view, think about two scenarios for the ims bearing failure: one, being just flawed and its just a matter of time for the bearing to implode as compared to scenario two where the bearing will fail because of an issue related to engine load, oil viscosity, frequency of oil changes, how long u drive the car every day, tracked or not tracked, etc. Assuming that most 996 are not daily drivers, most are below 80k miles, only a select few beyond 100k. The amount of cars that jake has seen with ims failures are in the below 80k miles because that's just the majority of 996's out there, but as time goes by, that number may shift to higher mileage cars. In scenario two, the failure may be postponed for a while but its just a matter of time too, since a bearing will ultimately fail I imagine. I think we are %^^$ed anyways.
I just pulled one yesterday from an engine with 121K, it felt very good. I expect to open it up and find excellent wear.

The IMS bearing is something that is only as good as the materials and assembly used to create it. Some are better than others, thats why their is no rhyme or reason to failures.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:31 AM
notfastenough
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Zero hour 996 engine for $9500? 3.4 or 3.6?

Are you sure that it's still available?
Old 08-04-2010, 01:24 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveSpeed
It is my understanding that Porsche has stop rebuilding M96 engines.
Can anybody confirm this?

If true, I might be tempted to do some preemptive work on my motor this winter.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:56 PM
mavthenav
Racer

I got a new engine from porsche 3 months ago, brand new engine, $15K, installed, 2 year warranty and every part on the engine excluding the AC compressor is brand new and covered with the warranty.

Call Roger at Porsche North Houston, he managed to replace a clients engine same as your's only 3-4 months out of warranty for free.

Mine was never under warranty after i bought it from a third party but Roger did a great deal for me, I was also quoted $24K by the other dealers in Houston.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

One of the Toronto dealers replaced my engine under warranty last Dec. He showed me the internal invoice to Porsche which was $21k Cdn. At $27k they are truly hosing you as mentioned by others. I sold my car in May and the remanned engine was a large selling point. I also did very well on the selling price relative to what I paid for it 2 years earlier. It is worth repairing it.

I have since bought a 996 turbo and hope that I have the heard the last of IMS problems. However, all Porsches have their issues. In the case of the 996 turbo, I do not believe that there is a self destruct button on the dash as there is with the NA 996 and 997's.

Don't give up on trying to get Porsche to favourably respond. I think your best bet is likely with Porsche US rather than Canada. I think the Canada guys have the "It serves you right for buying a US car" attitude rather than the "Customer is always right" attitude that would serve them better.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Can anybody confirm this?

If true, I might be tempted to do some preemptive work on my motor this winter.
Yes, they have stopped support for SOME of the engines in the series. The 2.5 is no longer being supported for sure.

We've known for years that 2011 was coming, so thats why I focused so much on development in 08 and 09 :-)
Old 08-04-2010, 03:40 PM
DaveSpeed
Racer

I was refering to the 3.4L engine in my MY99. I am not sure about the later engines.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Janusz
Instructor

Originally Posted by soverystout
If Sunset was selling these motors (full factory reman units) for $8750 U.S. with no core charge! (tip motors were even cheaper).

This offer was available until Feb 28th 2010 or until sold out. i still have the email.

This motor only costs Porsche $5K at the most to reman and repackage.
But by April 2010 they wanted $13,784 plus 2,387 core. I know because I was doing reasearch then to decide if I should renew my Service Contract.

I also found out that Porsche factory planned to stop "subsidizing and supporting" (whatever it means) an engine replacement program for 996. We will (or did already) end up to be forced to buy the new engines at "full price" or have them rebuilt by unauthorized businesses. That was what finally convinced me to go ahead with my warranty renewal.

By the way, maybe I am so big advocate for aftermarket warranties and my experiences are so positive because I am dealing with Canadian businesses here and not US? All is more expensive here but in return the market is much less predatory here than on the other side of the border.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:47 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't think so, Janusz. I looked at warranties in Canada when I bought my car. Like all aftermarket warranties everywhere, they were extremely expensive for what they offered, ie. peace of mind for the 95% of people who will not experience problems. As it has turned out, it would have been a terrible investment for me.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

So if the warranty companies balk at $13,000 for a reman engine just imagine what they will say to a $31,000 engine. I had an Easycare warranty on my car that expired 8 months before I had my intermix in 2008. The dealer told me that even if the warranty had still been in effect Easycare probably would have found a used engine based on the dealer's experience.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by d11w
$27,000!!!!!! CAD

THIS is what I was quoted by dealer.

I was informed that, yes, IMS shaft broke, metal shards all throughout engine and obviously, total failure.

The dealer mentioned that I was out of warrenty period. I was, by about 2-2 1/2 months. I was afraid that this was the case and it is.

Now the dealer did mention that they would contact Porsche to see what could be done. Given that this did happen so close to the end of the warrenty period, they MIGHT be able to help in some way but no guarantees.....

I have been thinking, if this is how much it costs FOR THE ENGINE, given what the car is worth, does this even make any sense??????

I also am thinking of calling the dealer in Texas, where I got her, to get any assistance about what I can do.

Right now, though, I have this huge weight in the bottom of my stomach about this whole episode.
Its all part of the game..... Start at 27000.00 and Porsch is going to cover 13000.00 of it for you.. gets you to 14K. Ya know, what everyone else has paid.... Get ready they are just setting you up for the bend over. If they even call Porsche at all

Quick Reply: Not another IMS issue again !!!!!