Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jdjones2010
Waaaay too many cameras in parking lots these days to do that! jmo
And the penalty would be what?

I worked as a valet in a garage in Boston back in the 80's. We set aside a floor of the garage as a skid pad for the many hot cars that were left in our care.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:50 PM
dmcgill
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LVDell
Only an idiot hands the keys of a GT2 to a valet. When my wife and I go to our local steakhouse, the valet (who knows us and has been there every time we have gone) lets my wife out and then tells my to pick where I want the car up front and park it myself. He also refuses to keep my key. That's the closest it comes for me when parking the Turbo.
I can understand that practice at a hotel or restaurant that does valet for customers.

I work valet at a Porsche dealership and (as you probably know) that really isn't necessary. Maybe the effect is different when you drive the cars all day everyday.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:36 AM
SacTownGuy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I valet parked at private parties in LA in the late 80's. Had tons of nice cars including many P'cars. It was the one Delorian I retrieved that was hardest to figure out with those damn doors! For the most part the valets I worked with (a bunch of other college kids) were pretty respectful of the cars. Occasionally someone would talk about racing them but overall we tried to be careful.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:25 AM
starrock
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used valet parking Gatwick many times. Very easy online booking process and good services.

Last edited by starrock; 09-30-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:18 AM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
I valet parked at private parties in LA in the late 80's. Had tons of nice cars including many P'cars. It was the one Delorian I retrieved that was hardest to figure out with those damn doors! For the most part the valets I worked with (a bunch of other college kids) were pretty respectful of the cars. Occasionally someone would talk about racing them but overall we tried to be careful.
Me too! I was with Bernard's. Ggod times overall and a great job for a high school / college kid.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:46 PM
CDLVancouver
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was a 17 year old valet when i was first handed the keys to a 911.
Took 24 years after that to finally get my own.
No way would i hand my keys to a 17 year old valet!
Old 07-05-2014, 09:50 AM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was a jockey for an auto body shop as a teenager. Once my boss dropped me off at a dealership to pick up a car, Eagle Medallion I thnk. So, he drives away, I see the dealer and grab the keys. Well it was a stick, which I never drove before. But what the hell, I jump it a and drive it back to the shop (about 50 KMs). That's how taught myself to drive a stick, and how not to ride the clutch !
Old 12-31-2014, 12:14 AM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default €£¥%%~\<%#+><€><> Valet!!!!!

Went out to lunch with my wife today and dropped off the car at the Valet. Come back to pick it up and wait and wait and wait.... Finally the manager asked for my name and an old guy show up to talk to him. He goes and gets the car. Upon arrival I can smell the clutch just burning up - probably on fire - and he says: I am so sorry the driver was stuck on an uphill and was having a bit of a difficulty with your car. Consequently the clutch has gotten hot. OK, I appreciate the honesty but don't you douche bags mark the ticket that it's a stick so that you don't send some goat herder to fetch it. You dumb %€|}^€>>€£~>£!!!!!

And I got so upset that I handed the the valet ticket WITH THE TIP!!! Not realizing I'm paying them to for their idiocy! I'm so upset!!!

Time for some single malt!
Old 12-31-2014, 01:21 AM
islandflyin
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was a valet and someone was an ***... We would drain the window washing fluid if it was winter. Super dangerous, don't think it is funny anymore but we sure did back then. Highway to the airport must have been a scary drive.

After working with a bunch of guys in that job, I choose to park my own car. Had too many experiences back then that I wouldn't wish on anyone's ride today.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:25 AM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I would never ever let a valet touch any of my stick shift cars. Won't even let them touch my SUV. Only the beaters do I hand the keys over or a rental. Otherwise I am fine to walk as far as necessary to avoid such a scenario and the financial consequences.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:34 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=Dennis C;8983314]I was a valet at a high rise, high rent condominium building in Dallas, TX when I was in college. I routinely parked Porsches, Rolls Royces, Mercedes, etc. The valets in my building didn't do crazy stuff like that (I didn't anyway), but I suppose that's because we knew the people who owned the cars, and we knew we would see them again.

The worst that our valets did on a regular basis was to try to fart in the car just as you were pulling it up to the door for the waiting customer, so that he or she would be surprised by the odor left in their vehicle. One of the valets ate lots and lots of jalapeno peppers... you didn't want him pulling your car up...[/QUOT
a skid mark in the underpants after letting one rip in the car is quite possibly worse than leaving a skid mark on the road with their car.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:33 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Valet parking in Dubai

Still inside the car park. However Dubai residents are very understanding!

A quote from the owner below:

But Mr Adams, a Dutch expat who works for an oil and gas company, told 7 Days in Dubai that he bears no grudge towards the valet who drove his car into the wall.

'I don't blame the driver at all,' he said. 'He just made a mistake and I forgive him. He accidentally pressed the gas pedal instead of the brake.'

He added: 'My wife was a bit upset at first but then I told her not to worry about materialistic things and that the driver's safety was more important.'

The valet was taken to hospital with injuries to his face, but has since been released and is now recovering.
..and just another day at Mall of the Emirates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaWi9rEHnSo#t=133
Old 12-31-2014, 12:10 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

A good buddy of mine valet parked his (then) brand new Lexus 460 at a 5 star restaurant in STL. He forgot his reading glasses and went back to valet to get them not 5 minutes after handing the keys to the valet. 45 minutes later they "find" his car and retrieve the glasses. Apparently, the valet decided to take the Lexus for a test drive. Needleses to say, my buddy wasn't too pleased, nor was the restaurant manager. He ended up getting his meal and wine tab comped.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:22 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,814 Likes on 1,507 Posts

I will never valet park if there is a reasonable alternative... Even if it means a long walk.

If I know valet is the only real option in advance, I'll take something of little interest to any valet driver (2004 Infiniti G35X is PERFECT!).
Old 12-31-2014, 02:27 PM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 30 Posts

I parked my cayenne with the Lexus valet at the Texas Rangers ballpark, when I picked the car up there we're ashes on the drivers seat and the whole truck smelled of weed. Never again...

Quick Reply: Confessions of a Parking Valet