Bought a spare ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:56 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Optical TDI
What are some of the signs?
Harder to get key out more than putting it in (since you already created a path for the key when you took the key out), electrical anomamlies (wipers, ac unit, dash lights, you know weird stuff). My wipers didnt work.... and yes it started to rain. The ignition feels a littly crunchy as you turn it.

Originally Posted by ivangene
the key wont go in or out

Ferd.... you changed yours in a parking lot at C&C IIRC... what "signs" did you have prior
i actually changed it during a DE.... but yes, at a parking lot.... I knew it was going so, I always have the spare with me along with the rennlist instructions and tools.

Originally Posted by Optical TDI
Does a switch going bad make it harder to turn to start the car? Mine is somewhat difficult to turn sometimes almost like it's getting bound slightly. The dealer said the the entire steering lock part.
yes, harder to start is another sign, but I would just change the switch... its an easy, cheap fix.... changing out the steering lock is alot of work and expensive.... I figure a switch every 35K miles.

Originally Posted by johnnyreb2010
how do you just change it out in a parking lot, i have had some problems like you said about sometimes being hard to get in or out, but, how do you change it out?
its not hard.... you just gotta have a strong back.... http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...with-pictures/

Quick Reply: Bought a spare ignition switch