Sponsored by:

My coolant temp has been high around 230F so I dove in today

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 12:11 AM
white99c2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My coolant temp has been high around 230F so I dove in today

I removed the drain plug in the rear bottom of the engine and got 2.5 gallons of coolant to come out. I refilled with a 12oz bottle of Red Line Water Wetter concentrate and 2.5 gallons of distilled water.

I watched a video on youtube and learned how to pull the bumper off, remove the ducts and get access to the front condensers and radiators, they were a mess of filth, leaves, cigarette butts and even a flip top off of a can of soda. Put it back together and went for a long ride in the 106 degree heat today. The temp went up to 215 using the HVAC center trick I can get a readout of the coolant temp in celsius.

I'm happy, the temp gauge hangs on the edge of the zero in 180 and not on the 3/4 mark like it was.

It gets even hotter here so the jury is still out on the outcome of my project but at least I know that the radiators are clean.

Distilled water transfers heat much better than coolant. Water Wetter supposedly helps break up air bubbles that stick to the metal surfaces inside the engine and provides the lubricant the water pump needs. More distilled water comes in contact with more metal surface and water gives up the heat much better than coolant when going through the radiator.

I raced SCCA for many years and ran no coolant in my C5 Corvette just distilled water and Water Wetter, I believe in the stuff. There are still about 2.5 gallons of 50/50 coolant floating around in my 996's coolant system. The whole system holds 5+ gallons.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:40 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

When I roadraced motorcycles we couldn't use glycol based coolant because if it leaked on the track from overheating or a crash it would creat a slippery area. We used water + wetter and it worked well.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:41 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by azrob226
I removed the drain plug in the rear bottom of the engine and got 2.5 gallons of coolant to come out. I refilled with a 12oz bottle of Red Line Water Wetter concentrate and 2.5 gallons of distilled water.

I watched a video on youtube and learned how to pull the bumper off, remove the ducts and get access to the front condensers and radiators, they were a mess of filth, leaves, cigarette butts and even a flip top off of a can of soda. Put it back together and went for a long ride in the 106 degree heat today. The temp went up to 215 using the HVAC center trick I can get a readout of the coolant temp in celsius.

I'm happy, the temp gauge hangs on the edge of the zero in 180 and not on the 3/4 mark like it was.

It gets even hotter here so the jury is still out on the outcome of my project but at least I know that the radiators are clean.

Distilled water transfers heat much better than coolant. Water Wetter supposedly helps break up air bubbles that stick to the metal surfaces inside the engine and provides the lubricant the water pump needs. More distilled water comes in contact with more metal surface and water gives up the heat much better than coolant when going through the radiator.

I raced SCCA for many years and ran no coolant in my C5 Corvette just distilled water and Water Wetter, I believe in the stuff. There are still about 2.5 gallons of 50/50 coolant floating around in my 996's coolant system. The whole system holds 5+ gallons.
Sounds good. Be sure the cap's not leaking. In fact, if an old cap -- part number does *NOT* end in a 03 or 04 I'd advise you to buy a new coolant cap and replace the old one. Both the cap on my 02 Boxster and my 03 Turbo developed a leak.

I went though southern AZ a few years ago and it was 116F in the shade and no shade. Coolant temp in my Boxster reached 226F and stayed there for a long time. Car took it well though with no harm. I liked to died though. Too blasted hot for my liking.

Just Saturday driving Turbo went through AZ on I-40 heading west back to CA and passed through Kingman and then on into Needles CA and outside air temperature registered 118F in places.

Don't know how hot the Turbo's coolant got. I do keep the radiator ductings clean of trash.

Not sure how effective water wetter is with nearly 50% of the coolant still anti-freeze and water. I'd think you'd want to drain the system, flush with fresh water, then refill with distilled water and water wetter. Oh, fill with water, ran engine and get cooling system hot enough water circulates to fully flush any residual anti-freeze from the car's heating system. Let system cool down dran and then refill. In this case I think investing in one of the those vacuum coolant refill systems worth it. Takes the worry out of a Porsche cooling system refill resulting in hard to remove air pockets.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:10 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by azrob226

Just for grins downloaded some OBD data collected during my return leg of my road trip to the mid-west and back. During drive from Kingman to Needles and then beyond to Barstow -- where I stopped for dinner -- intake temp at places reached 129F. (Highest ambient temperature I saw from dash display 118F.)

Coolant temperature never got over 190F. Even when I was in stop/go traffic a few minutes in one of the lanes leading up to the inspection station on I-40 just inside the CA state line.

'course, I had the auto-climate control set to auto and 72F and I know with the A/C on the electric radiator fans run all the time which helps to keep coolant temperature lower than it would otherwise be.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:19 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Try the fan mod.... I love this mod.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:22 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Did you burp the cooling system after you refilled? My radiator fans turn on at 103 C which is 217 F. Did the fans come on?
Old 07-12-2010, 12:32 AM
white99c2
Racer

My fans come on at 195 and never shut off because with AC on the temp never goes that low at least not now in July here is Carefree Arizona, it was 101 today and now at 8:30PM its 99.

The fan mod is great its just blistering hot in Arizona and with the AC on.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:36 AM
white99c2
Racer

Yes burped, ran until temp was up with the pressure release in the up position. Let cool added more distilled water, repeated twice. Not showing low any more. The gauge does not go up to 3/4 any more so in my book.... IT WORKED.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Airrik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redridge
Try the fan mod.... I love this mod.
What is the fan mod? Maybe a bigger fan?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:59 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

^ Fan mod is a set of manual switches turning the radiator and rear deck lid fans on. Ferd and I did them 6 weeks ago and its is by far the best mod for the buck on the 996. Parts cost $12 from Radio Shack and few hours of labor with electrical wiring knowledge. It keeps my coolant temp down on 87 C-89 C anytime I want instead of letting go up to 103 C and kicking the fans on.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Blackness
Pro

I'm interested in logging both coolant and oil temps on my 2000 996. What are you guys using to log the OBDII data? And what is the "HVAC center trick"?
Old 07-12-2010, 11:45 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Blackness
I'm interested in logging both coolant and oil temps on my 2000 996. What are you guys using to log the OBDII data? And what is the "HVAC center trick"?
https://rennlist.com/forums/7564285-post43.html
Old 07-12-2010, 11:48 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackness
cool avatar....

check out post #43

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-thread-3.html

you can use durametric to log user obd2 data..... just google it.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

I use a device called CarChip. Made by Davis Insruments. Disclosure. I work for Davis Instruments and am in fact the senior firmware engineer for its automotive products.

If you want real time OBD data you can use an OBD code reader/data viewer. Some of the more sophisticated ones can also store data for some time. I have an Actron unit I've had now since the shortly after 1996.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Disclosure. I work for Davis Instruments and am in fact the senior firmware engineer for its automotive products.
We send items to get calibrated by you guys. Here locally of course.

Quick Reply: My coolant temp has been high around 230F so I dove in today