996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My coolant temp has been high around 230F so I dove in today

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW, Water-Wetter works. Plenty of data to show it does through various mags over the years.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Blackness
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. The Durametric system looks quite comprehensive. I've seen the Scangauge II and would prefer something like it or the CarChip that doesn't require a laptop to log data. Seems like these record coolant temp but not sure about oil temp.

Has anyone seen or used the systems that use an iPhone with a OBDII to WiFi link?

BTW Redridge, thanks for the compliment on the avatar. I shot that at the Rolex 24 this year. My car was parked on the east end of the corral close to the ferris wheel.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:17 PM
white99c2
Racer

Default It was 107 here in Phoenix today

I'm disappointed because the car ran at 224 degrees F. It ran at 230 F before I changed out the coolant and cleaned the radiators. This is my first summer with this car and maybe this is normal in this intense heat.

Here's pics:

Old 07-13-2010, 01:26 PM
ttreat
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I know it is summer and you are talking high temps but shouldn't there be a caution regarding using distilled water in low temps? A frozen water line could be hazardous to your engine's health.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I've seen many 996s where one fan doesn't work at all or only works in low/high. Worth checking in a warm running car. Don't assume that because one fan is on, and sounds like it's working properly, that both are...
Old 07-13-2010, 08:34 PM
BReyes
Racer

Originally Posted by azrob226
I'm disappointed because the car ran at 224 degrees F. It ran at 230 F before I changed out the coolant and cleaned the radiators. This is my first summer with this car and maybe this is normal in this intense heat.

Here's pics:

Temperature shown is not normal for street driving. Needle over the left side of the zero in 180 is very warm, any more than that and you may see benefits from cleaning rads /flushing coolant etc. It can handle it, but I haven't tried too much track driving (as I know it gets hotter on the track) as I don't want to cause undue wear or worse. If it was mine i would check the fans are working , clean, flush etc and that should be enough.

Regards,
Old 07-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The reflection in the radio display looks more like fire that sunlight. Oh the joys of Arizona summers.

Here's one from a drive to Superior last summer.
Attached Images  
Old 07-13-2010, 09:08 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Do these cars just naturally run hot? Many other cars I've owned maintain a "normal" temp range year round without a fan during normal driving.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:34 PM
white99c2
Racer

I did remove the bumper cover and clean the radiators if you read the post. This morning I went to North Scottsdale Porsche and the service write told me here in Arizona in July with 110+ temps every day 3/4 up the gauge the LINE after 180 in 100% normal. My 996 now stays in between the zero in 180 and the line at 3/4 since cleaning the radiators and dumping the coolant for distilled water with RED LINE WATER WETTER. Yes all the fans are working. This is as good as its going to get, I guess.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:41 PM
TheGoodLife996
Track Day

Originally Posted by azrob226

Here's pics:

I had the exact same issue here in Dallas where the temps are around 100 and getting worse. I recently had a bad ballister replaced for the left fan which was not running when the A/C was on and also replaced the right condensor which had a slight leak. I could not be happier! If I were you, I would look at a possible bad ballister or fuse, they are known to go out especially the ballister. Then I would look at the condensors for possible leaks...replace if necessary. Car temps are now where they were before around the 8 on the 180 and when making multiple stops and driving her like I stole it at between the 8 and 0 on the 180 but never more. I am looking at replacing the left condensor as well just for future preventative measures. Hope this helps
Old 07-14-2010, 03:09 AM
steepsnow
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had some similar overheating problems. For mine, it was the bleeder valve on the coolant reservoir. The Tech said it was fairly common, enough so that he keeps reservoir and bleeder valve replacements in stock. BTW - in my '99 C4, I have to replace the reservoir - the screw holding the bleeder valve were completely corroded.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:19 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by steepsnow
I just had some similar overheating problems. For mine, it was the bleeder valve on the coolant reservoir. The Tech said it was fairly common, enough so that he keeps reservoir and bleeder valve replacements in stock. BTW - in my '99 C4, I have to replace the reservoir - the screw holding the bleeder valve were completely corroded.
so you replaced the entire bleeder cap?
Old 07-14-2010, 11:07 PM
JeffPlastow
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of curiosity, at the engine temperatures you are referencing, what is your oil pressure at idle?

The temperature on our car has never really gone even as high as the 3/4 mark (215?) but the last few summers I've noticed that when the engine is "hot" the oil pressure at idle can get as low as just above 1 bar which seems low. Even when really hot, the engine pressure easily hits 5 bar (or very close) anything past 3,000 rpm.

We've had the car for about 8 years now (it's a '99) and I don't recall it going that low when the engine had less miles, but the car uses no oil (touch wood) and while I'm sure it is slightly down on power (the chains rattle pretty good when cold so I'm wondering how worn they are and if there are timing issues) but otherwise seems healthy.

I know the owners manual says that at 5,000 rpm the oil pressure should be at least 3 bar which the car easily passes, but 1 bar at idle (even when really hot) just seems a bit low to me.

Jeff
Old 07-15-2010, 12:27 AM
white99c2
Racer

I'm convinced my car is running normal. It was 100 degrees at 8AM and it took a good 10 miles of driving at 60MPG for the center display showing the temp in celsius to reach 100C, that's 212F. Later in the day I was driving on the streets stop light after stop light and it was hotter in central Scottsdale on Scottsdale Road 111F at 5PM. My cooling system gauge with the display switched now showed 107C, thats 224F. Drove north 22 miles home and watched the outside temps fall as the elevation increased. In my town Carefree the elevation is 2300 feet and the temp was 98F, the reading now showed 102C, thats 215F. The dash gauge was sitting on the right edge of the zero in 180F. Its hot as hell here and I think its as good as its going to get. Porsche in Scottsdale told me 3/4 up the gauge is normal in this intense heat. Its better since I cleaned the radiators and changed to Water Wetter.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:37 AM
heelix
Instructor

Got a link to the youtube videos? I suspect I'm due for some cleaning as well. Lately the temps have been getting a bit higher than 180, depending on traffic, temps, and my driving.

I'll connect the laptop and get some real data.

Quick Reply: My coolant temp has been high around 230F so I dove in today