Sponsored by:

Pinion bearing sealed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 10:03 AM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

I guess the oil doesn't get around to it well enough because I can't think of another explanation why your indy and trans builder would say that. Bummer.....
I believe that Motor Meister actually does a rebuild with a non-sealed unit, I remember seeing it on their site... I was counseled against that route.

FYI - the total cost to rebuild was not bad at about CAD 3,500 with a set of used planetary gears and new 1st and 2nd gear synchros and all installation labour.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
I believe that Motor Meister actually does a rebuild with a non-sealed unit, I remember seeing it on their site... I was counseled against that route.

FYI - the total cost to rebuild was not bad at about CAD 3,500 with a set of used planetary gears and new 1st and 2nd gear synchros and all installation labour.
Yeah, don't walk but run from Motor Meister!
Old 07-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Raby was working on a set of special bearings for the transmission when I spoke to him in the Fall of 2009.

Yes, all the bearings in the trans are sealed just like the IMS bearing and they fail the same exact friggin way. Do get them out before they completely go because they will take out your case when they seize up and spin in their race. I have a junk case on a shelf because of that.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Raby was working on a set of special bearings for the transmission when I spoke to him in the Fall of 2009.

Yes, all the bearings in the trans are sealed just like the IMS bearing and they fail the same exact friggin way. Do get them out before they completely go because they will take out your case when they seize up and spin in their race. I have a junk case on a shelf because of that.
Every bearing? Argh.........more money than I anticipated.

Quick Reply: Pinion bearing sealed?