Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by fty
haha Carrera ST...just saw that.
Yeah, it's not a photoshop either. Real street in St. Augustine, Florida which is just a few miles south of where I live. Too bad about the For Rent sign in the background. I'll probably try to go there for the "After" shot, and attempt to duplicate it. The kid is a few years older now so the For Rent sign (if it is still there) will be covered up by a massive head covered with a variety of Borg-like communication and entertainment devices. But I'm sure he will still be focused head down as he texts, tweets, and plays a video game, all simultaneously. But he is totally indispensable when I need to set up the video recorder.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:45 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Cool

ZMonsta has decided to pass on the springs.

I offer all four TechArt springs for $250 plus shipping to your address. If you are interested PM me your name and your ZIP+4 and I will get a UPS shipping quote to your door before you pay. I do use PayPal if you want to go that direction.

Offereing them here first to those who have been reading this thread.
Not going to post pictures of 4 springs. What you really want to see is the pictures posted at the beginning of this thread. Those will tell you everything you really need to know.

Also have the stock sway bars and original struts/shocks. PM me if you have any interest in those.

No, I don't know if they will work on a 997 or a 944.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Cool

It has been two weeks, now, so, as promissed, here is an "after" pic of the M030 RoW suspension. I took my buddy, Greg, to get the best possible shot. We are once again on Carrera St. in St. Augustine, FL, in order to provide a truly comparable shot to the first picture in post #6 on this thread.

Remember, that the "before" picture is NOT a STOCK suspension spring, but a very short lowering spring from TechArt. Perhaps I will be able to find a fellow early 996 owner with a Guards Red coupe and bone stock supension to pose in front of the Carrera St. sign so folks can see how much lower the M030 RoW is from stock.

And, upon detailed inspection, it will be clear that the points at the bottom of the Porsche crests in the cap centers point perfectly at the valve stems, which is the ONLY correct way for them to point. As with the rest of the car, there is no sustitute.
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Cool

And, as an added treat for those following this thread this far, I have provided the full size picture of my new avatar which is presented effective today.

Can you correctly ID all of the tracks?

Big Red has had a very busy DE life. Just about to cross 60,000 mile mark. It will happen this month. Big Red's "Born On" date sticker is 11/98.
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

It has been about 2 1/2 months now since installation of the M030 RoW suspension and I thought now would be a good time to measure the actual height of the car.
Measurements are from the ground, through the center of the wheel, to the bottom of the fender opening. +/- 1mm
LF 64.75 cm
RF 65.5 cm
LR 65.0 cm
RR 65.5 cm

Last edited by Thundertub; 11-25-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Cool

For Big Red's 12th birthday this month, I got Dansk Sport Mufflers from FVD Brombacher, installed free, plus a full dealer (Brumos) 60K Service which also included new plugs, new belt, and I opted for all new belt pulleys. Also opted for a new water pump, full flush, and all new brake fluid. Nothing wrong with the current water pump or pulleys, but why wait...

The old mufflers were shot. New mufflers are B--U--T--ful!!!!!!!!!! Throaty without being loud. No drone at any speed. NASTY (good) when you stick your foot in it. Woo-hoo!

Last, but not least, and rounding out completion of all of the "preventative maintenance" procedures for this car, I will be visiting Jake Raby in 2011 to have the LN IMS, RMS, stuff done as well as a new clutch kit. Again, not a single hint of problems in these areas, yet, buy why wait until they fail at greater expense and inconvenience. Murphy's Law states that the longer I wait, the more likely they are to fail when I'm within ear shot of banjo music.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:45 AM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good idea on the preventive maintenance.

I installed my RoWs about 3 weeks or so ago. I will be posting my feedback as well soon.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:18 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for updating the details on the install. Have you done a track day with the new suspension yet ? Out of curiosity did you elect not to go with X-74 due to it being lower and your prior experience (of drawbacks) with the lowness of the Techart springs ?
Old 11-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Cool

OZ951,
Choosing the M030 RoW over the other choices took me months of reading here and listening to what others said. Most of my fellow track junkies would have been adamant about me opting for the X-74 or the PSS9/10 system. However, I have had several previous 911/951/964/993/996 cars with factory M030 USA suspensions so I new exactly what to expect from an M030 RoW.

In the end, the M030 RoW is available as a complete package, readily available, at a very reasonable price, easy to install, and no further adjustments required on my part. I don't want to have adjustable sway bars or shocks because I have no real skill (or patience) adjusting them for the proper settings for street or track, and then back and forth. The M030 RoW setup was engineered extensively and precisely for my car by the Porsche factory as the desired sporty suspension set-up for daily driving and occasional track days. Good enough for me.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:29 PM
fjr_wertheimber

Love the ride height with the new M030 installed... Looks great man, beautiful car, congrats!
Old 11-26-2010, 07:33 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 82 Posts

Excellent write up Mark. Thanks for all the info.

I too am considering going with the RoW M030 suspension kit to lower and stiffen the car a bit. I am currently running the stock suspension and as my skills improve the stock suspension feels increasingly floaty and loose. I have a 2000 C2, so basically the same exact car that you have. I am totally in agreement with you about not having the time or know-how to tinker with adjustable suspension systems. Are you still happy with your choice after having driven the car hard on the new suspension?

Is it just me or does it appear that the 996 sits higher in the front than in the rear? I’ve noticed this for sometime now on my car and other 996s with stock set-ups, but it also appears this way on cars with the ROW suspensions as well.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

fjr,
You come home safe and all in one piece, ya here! YOU have my strongest prayers and my most sincere thanks for the duty you are performing for our country.

DreamCarrera,
I agree with you about the tail-down appearance, but every Porsche I have ever had, except the 951, has had that same "feeling." I'm not an engineer, but I believe that it is actually intentional since it plants a little more weight over the rear for traction. Yes, these cars are tail-happy by definition, but it would be even worse if they were set tail-up like Pro Stock drag race cars.

All,
I have no regrets regarding my choice to go with the M030 RoW. I would do it exactly the same way given a do-over. The car feels low again now that my butt-tapemeasure has had time to forget the TechArt springs. That same butt loves the vastly improved, tight, taught, smooth-yet-glued, and jiggle-free ride. I know it will be better at the track than the previous set-up.
But you'll have to be satified with the butt dyno because I have no other quantifiable measurements (i.e. lower lap times somewhere).
My car with M030 RoW feels better than the 2010 Cayman S with Sport PASM loaner I had during the installation. It feels better than the 2011 Panamera with Sport PASM loaner I had last week during the 60k inspection. And, it feels better than the 2011 Ford Focus SES rental I drove for a week earlier this month while on a road trip to Peoria, IL and back. The latter two cars weaned me completely from any last feeling of being too tall in the saddle in my car. Neither loaner/rental car was a slouch. But it just made coming home to my car that much sweeter. I couldn't get out of the Panamera soon enough.
I drive to and from work with an even bigger smile on my face than before the suspension change.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:13 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wuv my car too.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundertub
My car with M030 RoW feels better than the 2010 Cayman S with Sport PASM loaner I had during the installation.
This is GOOD to hear. But the Cayman is so neutral. The Cayman's rear end doesn't wait for the rear like the stock 996. Does the M030 really transform the 996 that close to the Cayman S with PASM? That is surprising to hear.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Optical TDI - Does the M030 really transform the 996 that close to the Cayman S with PASM? That is surprising to hear.

Just my Butt Dyno to work with so far. No track time yet to confirm that.
And I am refering to the day-to-day street driving, not at-the-edge apex's.
My reference point is a 2010 Cayman S with PDK, Sport PASM, and 19" wheels. I have driven that specific car several times and for several days at a time.

I had assumed I would love the Cayman, so equipped, and while it was a truly amazing car, and most likely superior to mine in most ways, I found that I much preferred to spend time in the 996 over the Cayman. Claustrophobia may have been part of that reason.

Last edited by Thundertub; 11-29-2010 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply: M030 RoW suspension