Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Questioning the reliability of the 996 (starting problems) + Fuel Vent System(PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,381 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by r1de23
the unit is sealed shut....
Replace that valve. Almost 100% thats the culprit.

When you get the new valve cut the old one open...youll see the screen Im talking about.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:25 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by fty
Replace that valve. Almost 100% thats the culprit.

When you get the new valve cut the old one open...youll see the screen Im talking about.
Will do, i will post an update after i order it in a couple weeks. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Now I'm not one to say 'I told you so' but........
Old 07-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,381 Likes on 509 Posts

Will do, i will post an update after i order it in a couple weeks. Thanks.
Cool....that valve if clogged or partially clogged will give an insufficient pressure reading and wont open/close properly when it supposed to. If that doesnt work, try the MAF. I understand people are strapped for "play" money, so lets start with the cheapest part first and work our way to the MAF.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:18 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by fty
Cool....that valve if clogged or partially clogged will give an insufficient pressure reading and wont open/close properly when it supposed to. If that doesnt work, try the MAF. I understand people are strapped for "play" money, so lets start with the cheapest part first and work our way to the MAF.
yea i know. my play $$ funds are low.. plus i priced a MAF and it seemed to range $200-250 range.. ughh
Old 07-20-2010, 07:19 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Now I'm not one to say 'I told you so' but........
we cant say anything yet. the problem is still unsolved..
Old 07-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

we cant say anything yet. the problem is still unsolved..
I know but I got giddy......

The world awaits!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:12 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
I know but I got giddy......

The world awaits!
i'd like for someone to give me the voltages they read to that valve while the engine is running so i can compare.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:20 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some basics of the system ....

2000 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet (996) F6-3.4L

Vehicle Level Powertrain Management Emission Control Systems Evaporative Emissions System Testing and Inspection Evaporative System Monitoring

Evaporative System Monitoring

Evaporative System Monitoring

General Description
The fuel evaporative system monitoring permits detection of leaks with a diameter of 1-mm or larger in the fuel evaporative emission control system. Additionally, the monitoring system can detect a malfunction of the fuel tank pressure sensor (DST), canister close valve (AAV), or purge control valve (TEV).

The system monitoring is performed by observing the fuel tank. A canister close valve (AAV) and a purge control valve (TEV) are used to open and close the system.

Monitoring Conditions
The leak test will be conducted when the vehicle is at an idle condition with zero vehicle speed.

Plausibility Check DST
The TEV is closed by a continuous reduction of its duty cycle. Afterwards the pressure is observed. If the pressure falls short of a threshold (vacuum) for a given period, an AAV malfunction is detected (AAV blocked) and monitoring is stopped. If the pressure is not steady, a DST malfunction is detected and monitoring is stopped.

Measuring of Compensation Gradient
If the pressure is steady and the AAV closed, the pressure increase caused by fuel evaporation is measured and stored after a certain period. If the pressure reaches a specific threshold, monitoring is stopped, because the fuel evaporation is excessive. If the pressure reaches a specific threshold (vacuum), a TEV malfunction is detected (TEV stuck open) and monitoring is stopped.

AAV-Check
The AAV is opened and TEV are opened by a constant increase in their duty cycle. If the pressure reaches a specific threshold (vacuum), an AAV malfunction is detected (AAV blocked) and monitoring is stopped. If the pressure does not reach this specific threshold and the TEV has reached a certain duty cycle, the AAV is closed after a time delay.

Large Leak Detection
If a large lean correction of the lambda controller is detected, monitoring is stopped. If monitoring were to be continued, idle instability will occur because of the high canister load. If the negative pressure build-up gradient is below a certain threshold, a large leak is detected and the diagnosis is complete. If the pressure reaches a certain threshold (ex. -8 hPa), the TEV is closed. If the pressure reaches a specific threshold (ex. -15hPa), a TEV malfunction is detected (TEV stuck open) and monitoring is stopped.

Small Leak Detection -1.0mm
The system is now considered sealed. The gradient of the negative pressure decay is converted into a volume flow (air streaming in through a leak). Afterwards a volume flow balance is realized. The leak volume flow is derived from the volume flow balance. If the leak volume flow reaches a certain threshold, a small leak is detected and the diagnosis is complete.

Very Small Leak Detection (0.8mm)
When the Small Leak Detection is finished the same procedure is repeated in a following idle period but with a different level of vacuum and a different (more stringent) threshold. A leak of app. 0.8mm can be detected.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:27 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Monitoring of Fuel Evaporation System - Fuel Evaporative System
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2010, 12:29 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Monitoring of Fuel Evaporative System - Plausibility Check of Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2010, 12:30 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Diagnosis of the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2010, 12:34 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Thats not the voltages,sorry but I don't have a 2000 996 in the shop at the moment to measure, but it should be enough for you to confirm if it's bad or not.
Although with the noise you are having and the problem, it's a pretty good guess. As said by others it's fairly common to see it go bad, and the usual complaint is of the noise.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:23 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Thats not the voltages,sorry but I don't have a 2000 996 in the shop at the moment to measure, but it should be enough for you to confirm if it's bad or not.
Although with the noise you are having and the problem, it's a pretty good guess. As said by others it's fairly common to see it go bad, and the usual complaint is of the noise.
Finally, some technical data to work with...

It seems to me that the TEV is also known as the regeneration valve.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:28 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Which do you think is the canister close valve (AAV)? The fuel line vent valve or the shut-off valve?

Quick Reply: Questioning the reliability of the 996 (starting problems) + Fuel Vent System(PICS)