Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Engine noise/click at idle, normal ? (video + sound)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:33 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I wanted to post an updated on this. Today I went to Porsche to check out my cat. converter and it was indeed dead. The thing was replaced under the special cat.converter warranty of 8 years. It did not cost me a dime, parts and labor paid by this 8 year warranty. I want to add that my car is not a cpo, there is a special warranty on catalytic converter specifically, as other members mentioned here earlier in the thread.

With the new catalytic converter, the noise is completely gone ! I can't believe that part could create so much noise out of the blue !

Only one small thing, since they changed the cat.conv, sometime I ear a squeequing noise when going over bumps. It happen rarely, I assume they did put a clamp to close to another pipe or something is not fitter as it should. Over my 6 hour drive back from Dallas I could not hear it at all, so it is very small but still, for a Porsche Dealer (Park Place Dallas). they should be able to get those things right on !

anyways at least one thing done and free for me
Old 08-12-2010, 11:52 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Phil, good for you! Yesm teh 8 year cat warranty is a DOT requirement for all cars sold in the US.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:52 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats and smooth deal Philooo. I bet everybody wants that pricing luck.

Might as well let the dealer know about the rubbing noise so he can prevent paying for another cat replacement when a hole gets rubbed through it.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yay for fixes!
Old 08-13-2010, 01:45 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

After a little drive with the noise I went back to the dealer to show the service advisor, lucky for me at the time the noise was constant at idle. So he ask a tech to look at the car. Unfortunately the noise could not be reproduced, they tighten up a couple nuts but could not find the problem again. So after that, they gave me the car back. I'll check it myself...
Old 08-13-2010, 12:45 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep...mine makes the exact same sound and my durametric is giving me the same codes...

Porsche dealer has a new cat on order for me....fully warrantied

Quick Reply: Engine noise/click at idle, normal ? (video + sound)