Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Tough start and low idle rpm, caught on video ..SOLVED !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 06:20 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I see here in post 67
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...e-issue-5.html

that if the pressure get too high, the fuel pump is cut by the computer I assume

but I have no idea where this damn valve could be.

may be here on the top left tube going out of the pump cover.. ?
Attached Images  
Old 06-24-2010, 07:44 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Which valve are you looking for?
Old 06-25-2010, 12:06 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

I heard about a 'tank breather valve', that seems to relief gas pressure in the tank, and it id doesn't work well, then the computer shuts down the gas pump, I assume to avoid damaging the pump...

Do you know where it is located ?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:00 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

there is a breather valve right between the the gas cap and the filler neck. i know you can access it through the wheel well after you pull out the plastic liner...
Old 08-18-2010, 07:05 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

It has now been two month and I have not encountered the problem at all.

After my couple days struggling at every start, I waited to empty my gas tank and before filling it up at a reputable gas station I also added some Techron additive, since then no problem.

During my last visit at Porsche, I show the video of my problem to the technician and before even looking at it, he knew what I was talking about. It seems the car is sensitive to water in the gas. And what happens, according to him, is that the water being heavier than gas, after a few hours, even more overnight, fell at the bottom of the tank and then get sucked first by the pump in the morning. when the water reach the injector, then the engine dies.

It makes sense, even though I don't understand why the car would not start even while keeping the started on for a good 10 seconds... unless again I had the worst batch of gas ever, which I probably had !

Anyways, I want to mark this issue as solved.

If only it was easier to purge the gas tank I would have had my answer sooner but for me I simply had to drive it until empty :S
Old 08-18-2010, 09:54 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

^^^ good to know. Make sure tank is always full when car is sitting long period of time.... (less condensation)
Old 08-19-2010, 02:46 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
^^^ good to know. Make sure tank is always full when car is sitting long period of time.... (less condensation)
Yep that's why planes refuel after landing. Wings in the wind cause condenstation much faster. Plus you drain from the bottom of the tanks to check for water prior to each flight.

Glad the problem is gone. The front of the car gets pretty warm with the radiators up there. Then sitting cools leaving hot fuel vapors and moisture looking at a cooler internal wall to condensate on. I stop at a chevron once in a while too to make sure some sort of miracle juice gets in there once in a while. If you store the car for winter use fuel stabilizer with water absorber. No way around temp changes over the winter adding some sort of water. Injectors clog on water too.

Cruise on and enjoy.

Quick Reply: Tough start and low idle rpm, caught on video ..SOLVED !!!