Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Tough start and low idle rpm, caught on video ..SOLVED !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 11:35 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by philooo
Before messing up with the MAF, I'll wait and see, as this little resistance at the bottom of the MAF looks really fragile and I don't want to mess it up.

r1de23, I saw in another post you had fuel pump problem, did it stop working completely ? I was looking for cold start problem and fuel pump but I could not find anything. If the problem continue, next steps:
- clean MAF
- clean fuel pump 'filter'/net
- change the ignition switch
- change spark plugs

I already did:
- waiting... did not work

- filling up at clean shell station, hoping for better fuel quality
- ECU reset, by unplugging battery
- throttle body and plenum cleaning
Bawhahahaha!!!

Phil, I busted out laughing when I read that ^!

Good job on cleaning the throttle body.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:26 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by r1de23
sounds good, atleast your car isnt dumping water on your carpets. i cant figure this issue out.
care to elaborate? oh.... is this the water leaking? clean the drains yet? still leaking?
Old 06-19-2010, 02:31 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

MAN I am pissed, all day the car ran great, even this morning start was a breeze. Tonight I went to the movies, see 'prince of persia', great movie... Back to the car which was parked in the outdoor parking lot and bang, same crap, low idle, and engine died.

second start idle not too bad, but as soon as I released the clutch it died..

I waited 5 minutes then restart, keeping feet on the clutch just in case, idle was low, went super low, but the ECU saved it with an automated throttle blip. I waited 10 minutes for it to warm up and then the car drove like nothing happened. During the whole time until warm the idle felt really weak.

What in the hell can this be... could it be that one of my catalytic converter is dead ? I have another thread about engine noise and it really sound like one of my cat. it is making a hell of a noise especially when warm...

Any possible relation between my dead catalytic converter and this idle problem ?

So next step sunday I am checking the spark plugs... arghhh
Old 06-19-2010, 02:34 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by r1de23
sounds good, atleast your car isnt dumping water on your carpets. i cant figure this issue out.
I am sorry to hear you can't find the problem, I am afraid you are kind of like me, will have to keep shooting in the dark. Must be a drain, I assume you'll have to put a water hose in there and try to see where it start dripping first. may be buy one of those snake camera.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:43 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
care to elaborate? oh.... is this the water leaking? clean the drains yet? still leaking?
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...nto-cabin.html
Old 06-19-2010, 10:48 AM
RPMulli
Banned

phil, i think you need to dive into that list of things to check that everyone posted on your thread. MAF, fuel pressure, plugs, ignition switch. First, i would give it a tune up with the new filter, oil, plugs. Just to eliminate the basics first. And clean that MAF, that gunk that was on your throttle body is on the MAF sensor element for sure.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:59 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

does anyone know what should be the values for TRA, FRA and air flow (over the MAF) ?

I have been doing some reading and idle seems to be link to those values, I plan on taking them tomorrow morning during my cold start, but would be nice to compare them to regular value.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:56 AM
RPMulli
Banned

does anyone know what should be the values for TRA, FRA and air flow (over the MAF) ?

I have been doing some reading and idle seems to be link to those values, I plan on taking them tomorrow morning during my cold start, but would be nice to compare them to regular value.
a shop manual would be handy right about now.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:48 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Phil, your gremlins have attacked my car... thanks. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ml#post7680967
Old 06-24-2010, 01:40 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Any updates on the issue?
Old 06-24-2010, 03:07 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

ok so today again it won't start in the morning.

I removed the vaccum line plugged on top of the throttle body and spray some carb cleaner and it would start right away..for a second or two.

I assume the fuel do not reach the engine in the morning for some unknown reason... I bet some air valve somewhere doesn't work

I heard things about the fuel tank breather valve, anyone knows where that is located ?
Old 06-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

ok so today again it won't start in the morning.

I removed the vaccum line plugged on top of the throttle body and spray some carb cleaner and it would start right away..for a second or two.

I assume the fuel do not reach the engine in the morning for some unknown reason... I bet some air valve somewhere doesn't work

I heard things about the fuel tank breather valve, anyone knows where that is located ?
Looks like you're getting somewhere. In the morning when you turn the key to the ignition position, there should be a very distinct noise of the fuel pump priming for a second or so. Do you hear that at all? I think to diagnose further you will need to tap into the fuel rail with a fuel pressure gauge to verify the pressure (~3.5bar I think).

Also, have you checked the air temp, coolant temp right before you start the car in the morning? You can get a OBDII cable for $30 or so from ebay and hook it up to a laptop with free OBDII s/w that allows you to read time sensor values like air temp, coolant temp, fuel trim, etc.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is a manual resource.

manual

Good luck, guys.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:29 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

I did check the temperature this morning, but considering the car start just fine if I wait 30 minutes, with the same temperature, I don't really think it matters,no ?

also how come the fuel pressure could be different in the morning, jsut by waiting 30 minutes ?

I think the only thing that make sense is some pressure/release valve, that does it job if left alone for a long time. I assume it would make sense if the valve was clogged or something no ?
Old 06-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I did check the temperature this morning, but considering the car start just fine if I wait 30 minutes, with the same temperature, I don't really think it matters,no ?

also how come the fuel pressure could be different in the morning, jsut by waiting 30 minutes ?

I think the only thing that make sense is some pressure/release valve, that does it job if left alone for a long time. I assume it would make sense if the valve was clogged or something no ?
Yes, you can try to deduce/guess what is wrong but if you want to zoom in the culprit quickly, you still need direct measurements. The fuel pump is pretty powerful so as long as it's not clogged and there's fuel and power supplied, it should pump enough fuel to get your engine started at least. I cannot imagine a clogged vent valve will prevent fuel from reaching the engine. A rough idle possible but not starting at all is unlikely.

Quick Reply: Tough start and low idle rpm, caught on video ..SOLVED !!!