Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Tough start and low idle rpm, caught on video ..SOLVED !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 03:19 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
o, the engine didn't do the cold high idle either. Was the engine/garage quite warm at the time?
It is Texas so yes the garage is definitely not cold, it must be 75-85 in the garage even in the morning. But before those problem the idle was always much higher in the morning.

FYI, the car has 29k miles.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:20 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

hey i just thought of something else. why dont you try reseting your ECU?
Old 06-15-2010, 03:27 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

I did a read on the ECU and it returned nothing special. no error or warning anywhere as far as I could see. Reset, I am not sure how it works, but the word is scary

see below the logs from the Durametric:

About to get fault codes
moduleType = AlarmI32
dtcCount = 2
Fault Number: 60
Description: Central locking limit position locked not reached
Repair Infomation: Switch for central locking is faulty
Repair Infomation: Status: Not present
Repair Infomation: Number of times DTC present: 2
dtcCount = 2
Fault Number: 54
Description: Tilt sensor not in normal position
Repair Infomation: Check for additional alarm system not installed correctly
Repair Infomation: Status: Not present
Repair Infomation: Number of times DTC present: 1

DME 7.8 Selected
About to get fault codes
moduleType = MotronicDME78
Displaying infomation about Motronic 7.8
Part Number 99661866015
Supplier Number 026xxxxxxxxx
Module Number 004xxxxxxxxx
Ignitions (Range 1) 9042 / 1097h
Ignitions (Range 2) 0 / 0h
Operating Hours Counter 1109
Vin WP0AAxxxxxxxxxxxx
Type ID DME Control Unit __996US03
Order Type 996110
Country Code C02
Engine Type 9603
Engine # AT665659
Transmission Type G9601
Transmission # 1786973952
Radio Code/PCM Code 0
Body Color / Convertible Top Color 23F x²
Interior Equipment AH
Old 06-15-2010, 03:37 PM
RPMulli
Banned

just disconnect the battery and reconnect after a few minutes. After this turn the engine back on and it will "re-learn" a few parameters (i.e air/fuel mixture, etc) let it idle until it reaches operating temperature. Thats all there is to it.

Note: just make sure you have the CODE to unlock the radio before you do this.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:43 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

I don't have the radio code, but I'll try it anyways, sounds like a cheap fix... I need to get that code from the dealer at some point anyways... Or is there a way to get the code from the radio when it is working ? I tried pressing the tp button as seen on other posts but no luck
Old 06-15-2010, 04:07 PM
RPMulli
Banned

yea im not sure about the code. im sure the dealer can give you it, id shoot them a phone call before you disconnect it
Old 06-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

If you have a MOST radio then no code is required. Otherwise, Loren over at renntech.org can give you the code based on your VIN.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Awesomo996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the videos your oil guage looks like it is reading max full. Is your oil overfilled?
Old 06-15-2010, 05:18 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by philooo
I don't have the radio code, but I'll try it anyways, sounds like a cheap fix... I need to get that code from the dealer at some point anyways... Or is there a way to get the code from the radio when it is working ? I tried pressing the tp button as seen on other posts but no luck
Phil,

The '03 and '04 996's have the radio code stored in the computer, so when you reconnect the battery the radio WILL work. If yo wait a couple of minutes after reconnection, I think your saved radio stations will also return. At the very worst, you may have to reprogram your radio station buttons.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:02 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Awesomo996
In the videos your oil guage looks like it is reading max full. Is your oil overfilled?
I am afraid it is like 1/10 of an inch above the max on the dip stick. I just don't know how to remove it. It was like this when I bought the car 3 months ago. May be I could try with a syringe and tube to pump some ?

Originally Posted by gota911
The '03 and '04 996's have the radio code stored in the computer, so when you reconnect the battery the radio WILL work.
I confirm, I disconnected the battery and no radio problem. I do have the MOST / fiber optic radio system

Originally Posted by r1de23
hey i just thought of something else. why dont you try reseting your ECU?
I tried the ECU reset. I did disconnect the battery for 20 minutes, then first start of the day after ECU reset is below. As you can see there is a nice idle above 1k rpm at start then settled down to good level I think.

no need to watch past the first 30 seconds, nothing special after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhfHlU2ovnI

After that I did let the car warm up to idle and went for a 30 minutes drive. I did refill the gas tank to a Shell gas station that look pretty clean as well. I did not stop the engine for that.. I know it is bad but I did not want to be stranded there.

Back in the garage, I waited like an hour, another start test, quite normal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEwHxxZrhBM

I assume we'll have to wait for the next cold start. If this is solved by an ECU reset, that would be reallllly weird...
Old 06-15-2010, 07:13 PM
RPMulli
Banned

i thought your issues occurred after a long hard drive in the heat? that would be fantastic if it was just an ecu reset. Have you tuned your car up lately? (sparkplugs, oil change, air filter, etc.) Tune ups do wonders.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:58 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by r1de23
i thought your issues occurred after a long hard drive in the heat? that would be fantastic if it was just an ecu reset. Have you tuned your car up lately? (sparkplugs, oil change, air filter, etc.) Tune ups do wonders.
No. Only the first time it happened it was after long drive and in the heat. After that i had a couple days trouble free. Yesterday, the second time it happened, the car was in the garage and I was starting it for the first time of the day.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:03 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Cool

Originally Posted by philooo
No. Only the first time it happened it was after long drive and in the heat. After that i had a couple days trouble free. Yesterday, the second time it happened, the car was in the garage and I was starting it for the first time of the day.
Gotcha.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:49 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

So yesterday 6-16, the car worked flawlessly all day. Morning start no problem, and start-stop 5 or 6 times during the day, not a sign of weak start.

This morning 6-17, same problem as the first day. Car start, goes to idle for 3 seconds then dies. After that, tried to start it 10 times, giving it few seconds or minutes to rest, no result. Everything sounded like the same bellow, either dies in a seconds or refuse to start completely

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JYgWEzqRnE

After waiting 20 minutes, I tried to start it again and the idle was nice and strong, I was confident and decided to give it a small blip on the gas, and it died. see below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjvz4j8b_Y4

I am quite puzzled.

Can't be starter or battery as the car start just fine.
I assume I'll have to check fuel pressure and that fuel filter in the gas pump. any DIY around to do that ?
Old 06-17-2010, 04:06 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

So after waiting 1 hour, I went back in the garage and the car started like if nothing happened...

Only two things I noticed:

1 As the fuel pump might be involved I recorded the noise it makes when I first turn the ignition key.. normal ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9cBipJrl_4

2/ some water dripping from the passenger side muffler connector, does this mean anything to you guys ?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Tough start and low idle rpm, caught on video ..SOLVED !!!