Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is the GT3 mkI the most reliable, best handling WC engined Porsche ever built?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 09:42 AM
3dogbrew
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nick49
C4S is the M96 motor, most likely the worst for reliability. They were plagued with RMS, porus castings and slipped sleeves causing intermix issues, IMS bearing and breaking issues, faulty and shortlived MAF sensors on early models, AOS issues and some I probably missed. Porsche missed it with this, as it's a crapshoot if these motors will last 50k miles without major issues or even 100k without replacement. Once you make it to 100k or 125k you're probably good to go and can relax.

The GT2, GT3 and TT are free for all the above to my knowledge. The TT have their own issues which may be a little disconcerting but not catistrophic. The GT3 is probably the best handling and the most trouble free in my opinion.
Nick,
This is all very good information for a potential 996 buyer. If it is appropriate, can we get this put on the official 996 buyers guide?

Mel
Old 06-07-2010, 10:17 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

The GT2, GT3 and TT engines are rock solid.
Now the only issue that they all have and even the 997's is that the cooling pipes are glued into the engine block. Which results it them sometimes spilling out all their coolant. Not very safe when that happens to splash the tires and for the people who drive over it behind them. Coolant is very slippery and driving over it or it splashing on your tires will result in an accident for sure.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Define "rock solid"...

They're very good, but not totally immune to problems: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...t-mosport.html
Old 06-07-2010, 10:41 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Van
Define "rock solid"...

They're very good, but not totally immune to problems: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...t-mosport.html
Rock solid is that they don't grenade like the M96 engine does. Spilling coolant doesn't ruin the engine.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:41 AM
CaymanPower
Racer

Also, they are all dry sumped engines. Are they the only dry sumped engines on the water cooled Porsche's engine world?

Which one handles better?

Now the only issue that they all have and even the 997's is that the cooling pipes are glued into the engine block. Which results it them sometimes spilling out all their coolant.
Can you please elaborate more on that?

I'm glad you brought the 997 example... how does the DFI stands against the above mentioned dry sumped engine models as far as reliability is concerned?
Old 06-07-2010, 10:56 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CaymanPower
Also, they are all dry sumped engines. Are they the only dry sumped engines on the water cooled Porsche's engine world?

Which one handles better?

Can you please elaborate more on that?

I'm glad you brought the 997 example... how does the DFI stands against the above mentioned dry sumped engine models as far as reliability is concerned?
997.1 GT2, GT3, TT.1 and GT2RS all share the same engine as the 996 GT2, GT3 and TT

The 997.1 shares the same M96 engine as the 996

I didn't bring the 997.2 9A1 DFI engine into the picture. We don't know what issues will come up with it. Though the Cayenne DFI engine has been out the longest and carbon built up related to DFI seems to be starting to rear it's ugly head.
I personally think that the new engine is a lot better then the M96, no more IMS and the oil pumps seem to be a good alternative for a dry sump.
I think if they dropped the DFI it would be a very reliable engine but then it wouldn't be able to get the fuel management that all the governments have put in place.

See the post above with the coolant issue. Happens on all the cars with this engine.

Which is the best handling 996 stock. The 996 GT3 RS is, followed by the GT3.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:18 AM
CaymanPower
Racer

I've just read about the coolant issue. Thank you jumper!

So, are you suggesting that the 2.9 9A1 engine, which is not DFI, is the best bet on terms of engine reliability?

Not much on the power department, but handles like a dream... i guess i was unlucky then with the smoke issue!

I should have bought it new instead...
Old 06-07-2010, 11:35 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CaymanPower
I've just read about the coolant issue. Thank you jumper!

So, are you suggesting that the 2.9 9A1 engine, which is not DFI, is the best bet on terms of engine reliability?

Not much on the power department, but handles like a dream... i guess i was unlucky then with the smoke issue!

I should have bought it new instead...
Yes, the engine smoking at startup and smoking while running could just be the air oil separator. Though smoke at start up is not uncommon and nothing to worry about for an engine that is horizontally-opposed. Oil can easily leak through the rings during cooling periods and lie in the cylinder and at start up be burnt off.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:43 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Can you transplant a GT3 engine into a Cayman?
not easily, and not without a Stupid Large Budget, unless someone has figured some major stuff out in the past year.

engine mounting points are different

trans would have to run upside down, also it's g50 bolt pattern

ecu

ruf did a few, 200K+

just buy a supercharger, or a turbo kit. If it blows up, replace with a 3.8L m97 and take your SC with you
Old 06-07-2010, 01:45 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by htny
just buy a supercharger, or a turbo kit. If it blows up, replace with a 3.8L m97 and take your SC with you
Or send it to Jake Raby for the 3.8 L upgrade. $20K if I recall correctly.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by nick49
porus castings and slipped sleeves
Total of 2 or 3 motors ever returned to Porsche for porus castings.

As far as 'slipped sleeves'... pretty hard to slip them if you don't have them in a M96! Read Adrian's book (http://www.amazon.com/Porsche-996-Es.../dp/1845840968) where he lists this and other issues as old wives tales.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:35 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chsu74
Or send it to Jake Raby for the 3.8 L upgrade. $20K if I recall correctly.
I agree, but I would do SC/turbo first (he's talking about a cayman s, so 3.4L updated motor anyway) and if that motor blows then go 3.8L.

I think all this stuff is a little crazy, putting 20K+ into a 35K car so it can perform like a 996tt you can buy for 40K today so you can sell it for peanuts down the road doesn't sit well with me, but in a Cayman S I guess if you prefer the mid engine platform then it's the way to go. Me, I'd sell the cayman and buy a legitimate turbo, which does have the M64 block the OP seems obsessed with, and flash that sucker.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:39 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Total of 2 or 3 motors ever returned to Porsche for porus castings.
I think there were a lot of people with 2.5L boxsters who got new motors back in the 90s due to porous blocks, but again I have to re-read adrian's book to see how that number was arrived at.

Adrian if you're still reading this board, maybe a clarification on porous block statistic?

Best,
Hans
Old 06-07-2010, 07:39 PM
ROK
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rock solid is that they don't grenade like the M96 engine does. Spilling coolant doesn't ruin the engine.
It's a misnomer to call any engine bullet proof.

If you speak to the actual Porsche independent shops, they'll tell you the M96s are reliable and the GT1s as well.

I know of cases where the GT1 turbos have gone to **** and that's an expense that well exceeds any M96/7 replacement project. And you're not even getting a new engine.

Just buy it, drive it, enjoy it. It's a Sisyphean endeavor this thread.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:04 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

Yes, the engine smoking at startup and smoking while running could just be the air oil separator. Though smoke at start up is not uncommon and nothing to worry about for an engine that is horizontally-opposed. Oil can easily leak through the rings during cooling periods and lie in the cylinder and at start up be burnt off.

Can you recall seeing a sound GT3's engine smoking from tailpipe ?

Originally Posted by htny
(...)

if you prefer the mid engine platform then it's the way to go. Me, I'd sell the cayman and buy a legitimate turbo, which does have the M64 block the OP seems obsessed with, and flash that sucker.
Is there any sensible reason to NOT prefer a mid engine platform? Do you have any doubts that if Porsche somehow managed to fit the 360hp GT3's engine in a Cayman, so as to have a sort of Cayman GT3, no 911 GT3 with equal power and weight would match the Cayman handling, corner speed ability and fun factor?

Those who buy 911's - and i just might became one - are only buying what Porsche is willing to offer... not the best they can offer for the same money!

Quick Reply: Is the GT3 mkI the most reliable, best handling WC engined Porsche ever built?