996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 carrera 4 tiptronic s ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 02:44 PM
lazydays77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '01 C4 tip and have enjoyed every second. Nice to be able to change gear when not in the manual mode but just a heads up, you will accidentally change gear while turning. It just happens. The buttons are not in the best spot. Would have also been nice if one was up and the other down.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:10 PM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

@htny nice bit of reading there thanks.

@lazydays yeah I like the box when I'm thrashing it but in town it feels a bit laid back at times. totally agree about the buttons that's why I thought of doing some paddle shift.

I have a highly modded Smart car that has paddle shift 107bhp in a car that weighs as much as a box of corn flakes, She's so much fun with the paddles.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks htny. Your posted referencem mentions incline sensors for the trans to figure how to handle shifting. I've wondered if there is some sort of lateral sensor since the while cornering the trans likes to hold the gear it entered at.

Anyway the things I don't like about buttons is when in tight turns I'd have to practice to know where the + - taps are. The idea of practice involves taking the eyes off the road negotiating tight spots eh yah right. For tight turns after going manual to downshift to 1st or 2nd I'm left with go back to automatic for an up shift or spaz out for figuring how to get 1st. Oh well tiptronics aren't too good for tight turns as far as I've seen.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:09 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That information is regarding Tip S only, and some features referenced are specific to the Mercedes units.

Almost all automatics have "hill sensors", basically to keep you from lugging the motor, the assumption being that automatic drivers don't know which gear they should be in, an assumption which I find to be correct for the most part.

Pardon the advice, but my recommendation to you regarding your specific question is never to shift in a corner, up or down, in any kind of car, manual or automatic or tiptronic or sequential or DSG or PDK, until you've taken at least a few high performance driver's education classes and learned how that action effects weight transfer and balance. At anything less than an advanced level of education and experience, if the wheel is turned far enough that your hand can't differentiate up from down on the wheel, DON'T SHIFT! Brake before the turn to the appropriate speed for the specific corner, select the correct gear before the turn, THEN turn in with steady throttle application. Don't lift, don't shift. Especially not down into 1st gear in the middle of a turn. Progressive throttle on the way out and when the wheel returns to center you can shift up again as necessary. Can you eventually learn to trail brake and shift deep into corners in a tip? sure. Not on the street though, spins have much more significant consequences out there and there are no awards given out for endangering yourself or the public on public roads. Plus you can't put both feet in on a spin in an auto

That having been said, a flaw of the mk1 tip is the ones i've tried will not hold a gear in a turn at part throttle in auto mode (I don't like the mk1 tip, it's like a different car to me, so excuse my bias). Neither trans will bounce off a limiter and will upshift at redline on 1-2, so remember to plan throttle inputs accordingly. Your trans will upshift from 1-2 when you hit redline, so be careful not to allow this in the middle of a turn.

PS. I have never, ever changed gears accidentally in a turn on any tip car. Nt sure why your hands would be off the wheel rim while turning
Old 06-08-2010, 01:06 PM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Shift in corner = Coast = BANG.

Quick Reply: 996 carrera 4 tiptronic s ????