Default 996 carrera 4 tiptronic s ????

Can anyone help me ?

What's the s'
Old 06-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

It mean it has the buttons on the steering wheel to change gears.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you looking at some private sellers discription for a 4S model with tiptronic transmission?

All 996 tiptronics have the buttons on the steering wheel. Their available function improves in the later years where even if in automatic mode the buttons can be used to change gears even if not in manual mode. The first years of the 996 tiptronics have to be in manual mode to use the steering wheel buttons.

The S model cars have better goodies in them.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:21 PM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ah ha.

Thanks very much, so its the 2000 update of the 8 second m shift.

Makes sense thanks.

Terrible design though.

I've been thinking of making some flappy paddles for mine instead. some alum and some micro switches.

I could do better in half an hour in my garage than Porsche managed to do.

Is it me or do those buttons suck?.

id expect to see that on a MPV.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:23 PM
thirteeneast
Racer

Originally Posted by Pac996
Are you looking at some private sellers discription for a 4S model with tiptronic transmission?

All 996 tiptronics have the buttons on the steering wheel. Their available function improves in the later years where even if in automatic mode the buttons can be used to change gears even if not in manual mode. The first years of the 996 tiptronics have to be in manual mode to use the steering wheel buttons.

The S model cars have better goodies in them.
This is where I get confused, Mine will shift when not in m so does that mean I have the faster newer tip? and therefore is my 996 a mk2 ?.

thanks for the help.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Please forgive me for not knowing where the year change to mkII was

I've got the 1999 mkI tip so eh. Somebody else will pipe in with what year the mkII started. Probably around 2002 or so.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:44 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

Yep - '02.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:44 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

When my Indi dropped my tip to do the IMS and subsequently trans flush/filter, he stated I have the standard Tip, which was made by VW; Tip S's were "supposedly" contracted out to Daimler. Yes beefier, better, and even use a different ATF.
But, in my 00 Tip, I can change gears in Auto Mode....so I think there may have been some changes in the works even from 99 Tips and onward
Old 06-05-2010, 07:50 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by thirteeneast
ah ha.

Terrible design though.

I've been thinking of making some flappy paddles for mine instead. some alum and some micro switches.
The wife's Outlander has the Paddles similar to EVO's. And FVD also has a nice wheel with the paddles that looks Ok.

IMO, it's a luxury to have the " +/- " available to both thumbs which alllows for shifting ambidexterously, whereas with paddles...the "+" is on the right hand and the " - " is on the left hand on the Mitsu. Either one just takes some getting use to.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:54 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,292 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000996MIA
When my Indi dropped my tip to do the IMS and subsequently trans flush/filter, he stated I have the standard Tip, which was made by VW; Tip S's were "supposedly" contracted out to Daimler. Yes beefier, better, and even use a different ATF.
But, in my 00 Tip, I can change gears in Auto Mode....so I think there may have been some changes in the works even from 99 Tips and onward
Yup I can change gears in "D" also it will hold for 8sec. Mine is also a 2000. I believe only the 99 had that missing option.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:47 AM
thirteeneast
Racer

Wow... im confused mine an 01 by the way.

Thanks all.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:22 AM
thirteeneast
Racer

I don't like the way the tips like to start in 2nd then climb through the gears and then sit in top.

Surely long term this is not good?.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Long Islander
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't like the way the tips like to start in 2nd then climb through the gears and then sit in top.
If you want it to start out in first, you can just click (-) on the Tip switch, or put your foot all the way down when accelerating from a start.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Blame US fuel economy laws.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:07 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

The tiptronic cars for mk1 and mk2 have completely different transmissions.

In the US, 1999, 2000 and 2001 cars are considered Mk1. They have the "fried egg" GT1/boxster style headlamp and the 3.4L motor for easy identification. They use a very old school ZF sourced tiptronic box that is similar to units used 90s audis and VWs, not a huge fan of this box in terms of feel, but it is relatively reliable as older design automatics go.

2002, 2003 & 2004 model C2s and 2005 model Turbo S and C4S are consdered Mk2 cars in the US. They have the turbo headlight and a 3.6L motor. These cars use a Mercedes Benz electronic 5 speed tiptronic trans, which I have had a lot of experience with and which I consider to be one of the best transmissions ever made. I have seen it work reliably in very high torque applications in AMG cars, much higher than anything the 911s are putting down, and it has even proven reliable (and quick) in highly modified turbos pushing 700+ rwhp. There are 3 different versions for the 996, a high torque AWD version for the turbo, a lower torque RWD version for the C2, and a lower torque AWD version for the C4S. I can't say enough good things about this transmission. The ability to kick down 3 ratios near instantly before entering a corner, while braking, is just amazing, and you will never bounce off the limiter on 1-2 or need to short shift. It's a lot of fun but you need to keep it over 3500-4K, fully locked up, if you feel like driving and not just grinding through a commute. From idle to 3K it feels like all autos, it does have a torque converter, and when left in D with a lazy foot you will be below 3K all day and never experience the car, so don't drive in D. There are paddle wheels available from FVD and others, but I actually like the toggles, they are very very fast. It could not possibly be difficult to fit paddles if you were truly so inclined.

The "S" has to do with electronic features. Here's the article from the Porsche Knowledge Base:
The highly advanced Tiptronic S transmission is available in all new 911 models as an option. This versatile gearbox combines fully automatic five-speed operation with the capability of manual control. In automatic mode, Tiptronic S has different gearshift patterns ranging from “Economy” to “Sport”. Depending on driving style and the topography of the road, Tiptronic S selects one of these five patterns and applies the optimum sequence of gearshift points. Even in automatic mode, the rapid gearshift action ensures a fast and agile response. Within a short space of time, the driver will develop a feel for the system and learn to influence the gearshifts using the throttle alone. In manual mode, the driver can change gear by hand using rocker controls located on the steering wheel. Simply press up to change up and down to change down. The system responds smoothly and immediately to every driver input with virtually no interruption in drive. This race-derived function is particularly useful when performing an overtaking maneuver. If there is no manual input for a period of eight seconds, the system reverts to automatic mode. The overall performance of the Tiptronic S compares favorably with that of a standard Porsche manual gearbox. In addition to the above, Tiptronic S offers a range of useful functions. When the car is started, a warm-up program increases the speed of the engine to bring the catalytic converters up to temperature. If the car is driven assertively, the system automatically selects the “Sport” gearshift pattern without any need to use the kick-down function. In contrast with conventional automatic transmissions, Tiptronic S will not perform an up-shift before entering a corner, only to shift down on exit because the speed has dropped off. This ensures that acceleration out of corners is smooth and uninterrupted. Mid-corner gearshifts are also prevented thereby enhancing stability and safety. Under heavy braking, the system shifts down a gear to use the engine's own compression to help slow the car. An incline sensor improves uphill acceleration and makes better use of engine braking on descent. If traction is lost under braking in the wet, the system automatically shifts up to restore lateral grip and bring the car back into line.
The following users liked this post:
Bonz (01-25-2023)

Quick Reply: 996 carrera 4 tiptronic s ????