996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

IMS failure and explanation

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:28 PM
Janusz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you guys are clearly showing religious convictions and proven facts will never change your minds.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:31 PM
Janusz
Instructor

I do enjoy my $10K + so far and keep on driving my fantastic 996 for the next 4 years without any worry whatsoever. A brand new clutch and transmission feel great.

The enine growls happily, all the oil leaks repaired three times already for free.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:03 PM
johonole
Instructor

palmbeacher- do you have a extended warranty co. that you could reccomend? I am shopping.

Thanks- John
Old 05-31-2010, 09:18 PM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As I said earlier, I don't judge anyone who chooses to pay a premium for predictability. But for me personally, if I was that scared of things going wrong with my car that I was willing to write a four digit cheque to be protected from it, I would conclude that maybe this car is over my head.
Bruce! very well put!
Pete
Old 05-31-2010, 11:14 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ivangene
Pete Have a seat my friend...
Sitting, the leather couch is comfy
Old 05-31-2010, 11:22 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,307 Likes on 486 Posts

The only thing I can guarentee is that every IMS thread gets interesting....
Old 05-31-2010, 11:25 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Sitting, the leather couch is comfy
This damn corn is gonna plug me up for sure!
Old 06-01-2010, 01:31 AM
white99c2
Racer

Default If you have purchased a plan give me your advice

Those of you that have purchased an aftermarket extended service contract help me decide which one to go with. My concern is really for the engine if the IMS bearing fails so I'm leaning towards the $1375 plan.

5 Year/150,000 Additional Miles- $1,375.00

Engine and Water Pump: The following parts are covered: pistons, piston rings, piston pins, crankshaft and main bearings, connecting rods and rod bearings, camshaft and camshaft bearings, timing chain and timing gears, intake and exhaust valves, valve springs, oil pump, push rods, rocker arms, hydraulic lifters, rocker arm shafts and water pump, seals & gaskets only when required in connection with the replacement of a covered part.

Turbocharger/Supercharger (factory installed only): housing and all internal parts, seals & gaskets only when required in connection with the replacement of a covered part.

Transmission/Transaxle: all internally lubricated parts of manual or automatic transmissions, including oil pump, drums, planetary, sun gear and shell, shafts, bearings, side gears, carrier, pinion gear, ring gear, shift rails, forks, and synchronizers, and torque converter. Transmission/transaxle case if damaged by internally lubricated covered part, seals & gaskets only when required in connection with the replacement of a covered part.

Differential: all internally lubricated parts, seals & gaskets only when required in connection with the replacement of a covered part.

Air Conditioning Coverage: all internally lubricated parts contained within the compressor, seals & gaskets only when required in connection with the replacement of a covered part.

Electrical: alternator, voltage regulator, power window motor(s), heater fan/motor, starter motor.

Fuel System: fuel delivery (mechanical) pump, fuel (gas & diesel) injection pump, metal fuel delivery lines, fuel tank.

OR this 3 Year/36,000 Additional Miles- $3,259.00

Engine: Cylinder Block, Cylinder Head(s) and all internally-lubricated parts contained within the engine including: Pistons; Piston Rings; Connecting Rod Bearings; Crankshaft; Crankshaft Main Bearings, Camshaft; Camshaft Bearings; Cam Followers; Timing Chain or Belt; Timing Gears, Guides, Tensioners; Rocker Arms; Rocker Shafts; Rocker Bushings; Cylinder Head Valves; Valve Guides; Valve Lifters; Valve Springs; Valve Seals; Valve Retainers; Valve Seats; Push Rods; Water Pump; Oil Pump and Oil Pump Housing; Harmonic Balancer; Oil Pan; Timing Chain Cover; Flywheel/Flex Plate, Intake and Exhaust Manifolds; Valve Covers; Engine Mounts; Seals and Gaskets; Factory installed Turbochargers/Superchargers, including Housing, Internal Parts, Seals and Gaskets.

Transmission: (Automatic or Standard) Transmission Case and all Internal Parts plus: Torque Converter, Flywheel/Flexplate, Vacuum Modulator; Electronic Shift Control Unit; Transmission Cooler; Transmission Mounts; Oil Pan; Seals and Gaskets.

Transfer Case: Transfer Case and All Internal Parts; Seals and Gaskets.

Drive Axle: (Front and Rear) Drive Axle Case; All Internal Parts contained within the Drive Axle; Locking Hubs; Drive Shafts; Universal Joints; Constant Velocity Joints; Axle Bearings; Four-Wheel Drive Actuator; Differential Cover; Seals and Gaskets.

Cooling: Engine Cooling Fan and Motor; Fan Clutch; Belt Tensioner; Radiator; Heater Core; Thermostat; Blower Motor; Hot Water Valve.

Steering: All Internal Parts contained within the Steering Box; Rack and Pinion Gear; Power Steering Pump; Power Steering Hoses; Steering Knuckles; Pitman Arm; Idler Arm; Tie Rod Ends and Drag Link; Upper and Lower Steering Column Shafts and Couplings, including Internal Tilt-Wheel Mechanism; Steering Box and Rack and Pinion Gear Housings; Seals and Gaskets; Rear Wheel Steering: Rear Steering Shaft and Couplings; Power Cylinder and Pump; Electronic Control Unit/Solenoid; Phase Control Unit; Stepper Motor; Steering Box; Control Valve; Rack; Tie Rod Ends; Seals and Gaskets.

Brakes: Master Cylinder; Power Brake Cylinder; Vacuum Assist Booster; Hydro Boost; Disc Brake Caliper; Wheel Cylinders; Compensating Valve; Brake Hydraulic Lines and Fittings; Hydraulic Control Unit; Seals and Gaskets. The following ABS Parts are also covered: Electronic Control Processor; Wheel Speed Sensors; Hydraulic Pump/Motor Assembly; Pressure Modulator Valve/Isolation Dump Valve; Accumulator; Seals and Gaskets.

Fuel Delivery: Fuel Pump; Fuel Injection Pump and Injectors; Vacuum Pump; Fuel Tank; Fuel Tank Sending Unit; Metal Fuel Delivery Lines.

Air Conditioner: Condenser; Compressor, Compressor Clutch and Pulley; Air Conditioning Lines and Hoses; Evaporator; Idler Pulley and Idler Pulley Bearing; High/Low Compressor Cutoff Switch; Expansion Valve; Pressure Cycling Switch; Seals and Gaskets. The following parts are also covered if they are required in connection with the repair of a covered part listed above: Accumulator/Receiver Dryer; Orifice Tube; Oil and Refrigerant.

Front and Rear Suspension: Upper and Lower Control Arms; Control Arm Shafts and Bearings or Bushings; Upper and Lower Ball Joints; Radius Arm and Bushings; Torsion Bars and Mounts or Bushings; Stabilizer Bar, Links and Bushings; Struts; Spindle and Spindle Support; Wheel Bearings; and Seals and Gaskets. Variable Dampening Suspension: Compressor; Control Module; Actuator; Solenoid; Height Sensor; Mode Selector Switch; Seals and Gaskets.

Electrical: Alternator; Voltage Regulator; Starter Motor; Starter Solenoid and Starter Drive; Engine Compartment Wiring Harness; Computerized Timing Control Unit; Electronic Ignition Module; Crank Angle Sensor; Knock Sensor; Ignition Switch; Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder; Front and Rear Window Wiper Motor, Washer Pump and Switch; Stop Lamp Switch; Headlamp Switch; Turn Signal Switch; Heater/A.C. Blower Speed Switch; Manual Heater/ A.C. Control Assembly; and Horns.

Enhanced Electrical: Automatic Climate Control Programmer; Electronic Instrument Cluster; Mileage Computer; Distributor; Ignition Coil; Electronic Combination Entry System (Does Not Include Transmitters and Receivers for Remote Locks); Cruise Control Module, Transducer, Servo and Amplifier; Powertrain Control Module; Headlamp Motors; Power Window Motor; Power Seat Motor; Power Mirror Motor; Power Antenna Motor/Mast Assembly; Convertible Top Motor, Power Sunroof Motor; Power Window Switch; Cruise Control Engagement Switch; Power Seat Switch; Power Mirror Motor Switch; Rear Defogger Switch; Power Door Lock Actuator and Switch.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:06 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Whos the contract with?
Old 06-01-2010, 02:08 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We need a poll on this one.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:16 AM
white99c2
Racer

Copied from the email I received.

Warranty Offered By: Auto Advantage Inc.
Administered & Insured By: National/Dimension Service Corporation
Underwriter: This coverage is directly underwritten by General Fidelity Insurance Company, a subsidiary of Bank of America ("A" rated by AMBest) for the highest level of financial security
Old 06-01-2010, 02:26 AM
white99c2
Racer

I copied this from a BBB link on their website. This research is wearing me out and its a shame we have to really do this because we cant tell who is a crook and who is legitimate. The last thing I want is to buy and then go through torture to get a claim approved. I called one company and they had no idea what an Intermediate Shaft was or an IMS Bearing. The U/W and adjuster both told me "If it internal and chain driven to control the cams, its covered" I hope so, thats the part that is GRAY, I'm a New Yorker and I don't like GRAY AREAS.

BBB Rating Back to Top
Based on BBB files, this business has a BBB Rating of A+ on a scale from A+ to F.
Click here for an explanation of BBB Ratings.
Business Contact & Profile Back to Top
Business Name:
Auto Advantage Inc.
Business Address: 3494 Overlook Avenue
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
See the location on a Mapquest Map
See the location on a Google Map
Original Business Start Date: 2/1/1979
Type of Entity: Corporation
Incorporated: 1993 in NY
Principal:
Hal Moses, President/CEO
Phone Number:
(914) 962-3535
(800) 419-3499
(800) 933-9190
Fax Number:
(914) 962-7120
Email Address:
hm@autowarranties.com
BBB Accreditation: This business is a BBB Accredited Business
Date Accredited by BBB: 3/24/2004
Type of Business:
ROAD SERVICE-AUTOMOTIVE
AUTO WARRANTY PROCESSING SERVICE
Website Address:
http://www.autowarranties.com
http://www.thewarrantycenter.com
http://www.autoroadservice.com
Old 06-01-2010, 02:31 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Thats the one I have on the saab....2yr/24000 miles for 1200 and the bought down my intrest rate by .5%. Havent used it yet though...nothing is broken yet....(crossing fingers)
Old 06-01-2010, 02:35 AM
Janusz
Instructor

Azrob226;
I did not study all the info carefully bu two remarks instantly apparent:
The first plan seems suspiciously inexpensive and this alone would raise a red flag. Are you sure it is 150K miles? The industry standard would be 12k a year.

In any event it WILL NOT cover IMS or RMS leaks while the second plan you quoted would.
Just that alone will make a difference. What would be the point of having a warranty which will not cover the most frequent repairs?

Also, the first plan's A/C coverage is a joke. Compare with the second and you'll see what I mean.
After another quick look it is apparent to me that the second plan is much superior.

The one I have, EC, is even better.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:38 AM
white99c2
Racer

What is EC?

Quick Reply: IMS failure and explanation