Sponsored by:

Porsche Distribution & Training Center, Easton, PA

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Porsche Distribution & Training Center, Easton, PA

Last night I was lucky enough to attend the monthly Riesentoter PCA meeting that was held at the new Porsche Distribution & Training Center in Easton, PA. The place left me drooling - an amazing place to visit and I had to share some photos with you.

The center in Easton is the newest of 3 centers in the US and serves the Northeast corridor. All parts are serviced to the dealer network from Easton, as well as all Porsche mandated tech training.

It was truly amazing to see the cars in classroom settings being used as training tools - stripped and rebuilt over and over by technicians. There were benches set up with transmissions mounted and ready to be worked on - this place was everything Porsche.

It was breathtaking to see the racks of parts - yes, lots of engines for every kind of Porsche.

I learned a couple of things that I thought I'd share.
i) Peak demand for 996 engines on the eastern US was 4 years ago and demand has since declined dramatically. The comment that was made was that if you still have your engine, then you're probably okay at this point.

ii) All parts are serviced overnight from the distribution centers, with an absolute of 3 day turnaround within the US. If they can't get the part in the US, then they will ship it from Germany. If they don't have it in stock, then they will make it, even if the part is for an old car like a 356 - now that's customer support!

... this place had more parts than even Ed's garage!

Last edited by Wellardmac; 04-17-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

more...

These guys were really generous with their time and knowledge - an honor to spend time with them and I'm very grateful that they let us into their place of work. Seriously cool.

Last edited by Wellardmac; 04-17-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:55 PM
uberskier
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, very nice. I wish I would have known because I may have made the trip! You don't get an opportunity to see that to often.

Thanks for the pictures!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:57 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by uberskier
Wow, very nice. I wish I would have known because I may have made the trip! You don't get an opportunity to see that to often.

Thanks for the pictures!
It was amazing... I was so envious of them working in such a cool place, but the reality is that they're just regular car guys working for an extraordinary company.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:05 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

neat, thats my type of place.....
Old 05-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Awesome! thanks for posting, I would have loved to have seen that. There is a small Porsche tech center near my office and the Audi/VW/LAmbo tech center is actually next to my office. Always cool stuff in the lot.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:44 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice Wayne! Thanks for the pics!
Old 05-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

You have been to the Mother Lode for the Holy Grail!

That is very cool!
Old 05-27-2010, 10:59 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Thanks guys - I felt like a school kid in this place. It was so cool to see a bunch of enthusiasts having fun - the staff must have felt like rock stars. ...it was a once in a lifetime experience and we were the first PCA region to get the tour.... seriously cool.

...only we could rave about how well sealed the underside of a Panamera was.

The guys that worked there answered any question we threw at them. I enjoyed hearing about Porsche training classes and the rigors that they put the tech through (pretty tough stuff). We saw a PDK stripped (and explained to us) - engines partially disassembled... even an explanation of Porsches training regimes - and the sad truth that Porsche has so many news cars that are increasingly complicated that the older cars are now being neglected in terms of tech retraining and it will be harder and harder to find good techs as the older guys leave the workshop.

Interesting tidbit - they were very excited about the impending arrival of the Porsche hybrid engine and see it as the future for them. They were disappointed that Porsche has made the decision not to bring their diesel engine to the US, but that is a strategic marketing decision (much as it is a superior engine to the hybrid). The arrival of the hybrid means that all dealerships will now have to have a high energy tech on staff to deal with the complicated and high energy circuits in the new hybrid cars. A comment was made that it is now easier and easier to fry the circuits in the newer cars - basically after the arrival of the 996 is became easier to kill electronics.... I did also learn that jumping a dead battery from the battery terminals on a 996 is a huge no-no... didn't know that. They prefer to see you using a capacitor from the cigarette lighter socket.

..they did have the transmission from Phil's old car on the bench - it had a blindingly intense shine from lack of use. They were confused about why it hadn't ceased up considering that it had been used so little.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
..they did have the transmission from Phil's old car on the bench - it had a blindingly intense shine from lack of use. They were confused about why it hadn't ceased up considering that it had been used so little.
LOL! My kid and I both went to college in Easton (Lafayette). That town has really had a renaissance in the past few years. I was completely unaware that Porsche had built this facility. Great pics - I'll have to take a run up there to see it. In my Audi or on my bicycle.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:07 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice story Wayne, and plenty of pics. Did anyone ask about the dreaded IMS issue?
Old 05-28-2010, 09:36 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

thanks for sharing.... way cool. All those engines.... lots of money in that warehouse!
Old 05-28-2010, 09:58 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
They were disappointed that Porsche has made the decision not to bring their diesel engine to the US, but that is a strategic marketing decision (much as it is a superior engine to the hybrid).
I think the VW tourag V6 diesel replaced that product line up.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:52 AM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow that is awesome.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:24 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
LOL! My kid and I both went to college in Easton (Lafayette). That town has really had a renaissance in the past few years. I was completely unaware that Porsche had built this facility. Great pics - I'll have to take a run up there to see it. In my Audi or on my bicycle.
Damn, that must be one old college! Was it founded by the Pilgrims?

Quick Reply: Porsche Distribution & Training Center, Easton, PA