Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty advice? Fidelity / Audi? Easy Care?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 01:38 AM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Extended Warranty advice? Fidelity / Audi? Easy Care?

My local Porsche dealer is offering two extended warranties.
Fidelity (Audi)
Easy Care
Few questions:
1) Is it worth it on a 2004 996 Anniversary?
2) Is there anyway to get a CPO warranty after purchase at a non Porsche dealership?
3) Which warranty is best? Fidelity is cheaper by a large margin and has relatively good reviews (some bad ones too).
4) Should I consider an internet warranty that my local dealer doesn't offer?
Thanks!
Old 05-14-2010, 02:16 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

how much did you get quote for the fidelity warranty ?

I got a quote for the Fidelity Platinum package for 2 years around $2800 but 3 years was like $5000!. The easy care package was same price for two years, but thee years was "only" $3500.

Anyways, what scares me about the Easy care is that their website is super old and nobody return email if you try to contact them. at least fidelity did return my emails.

I have not pull the trigger on any of them but I need to decide.

There is no way to add CPO to a car, only porsche dealer can do it and it can only be done before the sale.

worth it or not... if you want to be worry free, that is the price.... I am also thinking about it, but if you are thinking about it that much to post a thread.. I think you need it

Last edited by philooo; 05-14-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:42 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Make sure any aftermarket warranty you buy specifically covers seals and gaskets... most don't.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read over the contracts for Easy Care and Fidelity. Easy Care's top-tier warranty is still a "named item" type, ie anything not specifically listed is not covered. These type of warranties are ok if that's all you can get, because they do cover a lot of things that go wrong. I've had to take that kind of extensive named-item warranty on some older vehicles and still doubled my money on covered repairs. However, in the case of these Porsches there's a unique part that we're concerned about, the intermediate shaft, which no other car has and therefore isn't named in the coverage. Personally I wouldn't take the word of a salesman that it will be covered, I'd want to see it specifically in writing. Most policies do say "all internally lubricated parts" however the IMS bearing is a sealed bearing, isolated from the crankcase oil. It could be argued that it is not an internally-lubricated part, and if it fails, I would not want to be at the mercy of the interpretation by a claims adjuster trying very hard to wiggle out of a $20K claim, and have to go to arbitration to get it resolved.

Fidelity's Platinum coverage is an "exclusionary" warranty, meaning everything is covered unless it's on the list of non-covered parts. That's why I'd go with that if I have the choice.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:38 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Holy disappearing messages Batman!
Old 05-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 06-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Essman
Nationalrepairsolutions.com seemed legit. Call other places and they had the best and cheapest coverage. Already filed a claim and they paid $2k for some controller thing.
TROLL!!
Old 06-06-2014, 08:53 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely read both contracts thoroughly. A stated coverage contract lists all the parts that are covered. If a part fails that is not on the list then it is not covered. Period. An exclusionary policy basically says that everything mechanical or electrical is covered "except" the following items. So if the part is not on the exception list then it is covered. Obviously the exclusionary is the best choice and is usually priced higher. Just not sure if any exclusionary policies are available on a 10 year old car. Easy Care and Fidelity have both been in business a long time. If the part that fails is covered, either one will pay the claim.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty advice? Fidelity / Audi? Easy Care?