Newbie Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:47 PM
911 Fan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Introduction

Hi all-
Time for me to introduce myself to the group. Yes, if you look at my actual join date, it was a while back. At that time I thought I would get a 1986-ish Targa but in the end I went a different direction and stayed away for a few years. But the Porsche bug never really gets cured no matter how long it lays dormant. So after another flare-up of "Porsche fever" this spring and after doing some research, I landed on the 996's because I will use it pretty much as a daily driver when I’m in town—even in the Chicago winters.
After a pretty brief search I picked up the 2004 C4S that you see in the picture below (didn’t want to get in trouble from Tim right off, so I included a picture). Overall, I had a good buying experience and cannot stress enough that getting a PPI ensured I didn’t get surprised later. I bought a car out of state and had the local Porsche dealership go over it which helped uncover some issues that needed addressing. Some I took care of, such as new tires all around. The seller was fair and agreed to take care of the rest at the local Porsche dealer so I could have a warranty. After that was all done, a few weeks later I drove it home. Drove 400 miles and got 26 mpg—exceeded my expectations.
A little about me, I’ve been married to the girl in the picture for 23 years and we live in the far west suburbs of Chicago. I work for a global consulting firm. I’ve also got a 78 Special Edition Trans Am like the one in Smokey and the Bandit which is what I wanted when I was a kid (couldn't resist posting a pic). So between the two of them, I should be pretty busy driving on all the nice, empty, twisty blacktop roads we have out here. I’m not real deep on wrenching skills but am eager to learn and try a few of the DIY’s I’ve found here.
This forum has been a great source of info for me during my car search as I was looking to get familiar with the 996 and its peculiarities. It really helped me get smart on what to look for and what to avoid.
As for driving impressions, after just a short period of time I cannot believe how ‘live-able’ this car is—stable, fun, power when you need it and very comfortable. Aside from adding a new audio/Nav/Bluetooth/iPhone capability, I think I’ll keep it stock for a while (yeah, right).
Looking forward learning from you guys!
Hopefully I posted the pics properly...
Kevin
Attached Images   

Last edited by 911 Fan; 04-27-2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 04-27-2010, 10:50 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey Kevin, Welcome to Rennlist!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:20 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to the gang! That is a nice TA too.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:37 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

damn dude, quit mucking up the pic of the nice Porsche. We need full on body shots. j/k. Welcome and I used to be your neighbor at one point(lived in Naperville for a few years-Liberty and Eola). You got some great roads out there to wind her out.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Welcome!

Are you going to put a screaming chicken on the trunk of your 996?

I dig the T/A too, that's a big 10-4.

Have fun -- drive (relatively) safe!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:47 PM
brnrkm
Advanced

Welcome Kevin. Pretty slick looking 4S.
I think that you'll find that much of the maintence on these cars is very doable at home.
I will be interested in what you come up with on the audio upgrade as I would like to do something like this as well, with or without the nav.

Looks like you got the world on a string, a new cab, pretty girl and spring on the way.

Enjoy!

Brian

Last edited by brnrkm; 04-28-2010 at 12:11 AM. Reason: whoops
Old 04-27-2010, 11:54 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the nut house! Nice to see another 4S!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:57 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

welcome, nice purchase on the Cab C4S and the TA too!
Old 04-28-2010, 12:10 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome and congratulation to finally jump in the Porsche bandwagon.

Porsche fever, there is ... no way it goes away !

Let the DYI / Mods begin !
Old 04-28-2010, 12:42 AM
robert r
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hehe, I Love that movie
Enjoy!
Old 04-28-2010, 12:48 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Welcome, enjoy in good health!
Old 04-28-2010, 01:11 AM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
Welcome, enjoy in good health!
+1

4S is the best...
Old 04-28-2010, 01:25 AM
nghiaho58
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911 Fan
Hi all-
Time for me to introduce myself to the group. Yes, if you look at my actual join date, it was a while back. At that time I thought I would get a 1986-ish Targa but in the end I went a different direction and stayed away for a few years. But the Porsche bug never really gets cured no matter how long it lays dormant. So after another flare-up of "Porsche fever" this spring and after doing some research, I landed on the 996's because I will use it pretty much as a daily driver when I’m in town—even in the Chicago winters.
After a pretty brief search I picked up the 2004 C4S that you see in the picture below (didn’t want to get in trouble from Tim right off, so I included a picture). Overall, I had a good buying experience and cannot stress enough that getting a PPI ensured I didn’t get surprised later. I bought a car out of state and had the local Porsche dealership go over it which helped uncover some issues that needed addressing. Some I took care of, such as new tires all around. The seller was fair and agreed to take care of the rest at the local Porsche dealer so I could have a warranty. After that was all done, a few weeks later I drove it home. Drove 400 miles and got 26 mpg—exceeded my expectations.
A little about me, I’ve been married to the girl in the picture for 23 years and we live in the far west suburbs of Chicago. I work for a global consulting firm. I’ve also got a 78 Special Edition Trans Am like the one in Smokey and the Bandit which is what I wanted when I was a kid (couldn't resist posting a pic). So between the two of them, I should be pretty busy driving on all the nice, empty, twisty blacktop roads we have out here. I’m not real deep on wrenching skills but am eager to learn and try a few of the DIY’s I’ve found here.
This forum has been a great source of info for me during my car search as I was looking to get familiar with the 996 and its peculiarities. It really helped me get smart on what to look for and what to avoid.
As for driving impressions, after just a short period of time I cannot believe how ‘live-able’ this car is—stable, fun, power when you need it and very comfortable. Aside from adding a new audio/Nav/Bluetooth/iPhone capability, I think I’ll keep it stock for a while (yeah, right).
Looking forward learning from you guys!
Hopefully I posted the pics properly...
Kevin
Love your new Porsche and your 78 Trans AM. They both are man dream cars. Like you, Smokey and the bandit is always my favorite movie.
I am a bit of jealous; you got a 04 Porsche for 23 years marriage, I only got 00 Porsche C2 Cab Blk for the same number o year.
Congratulations!

Nghia
Old 04-28-2010, 06:25 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks great. Wow. Two cool black cars that you must keep clean. Your wife must be one hell of gal to put up with those odds. I gotta a buddy with an old TA like that one. I'm not sure if it's the anniversary edition though.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:25 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brave man parking the 911 under a tree in spring time

Nice cars and welcome to the forum.

Quick Reply: Newbie Introduction