Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Porsche 996 Turbo is apparently not free from IMS..

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:47 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Porsche 996 Turbo is apparently not free from IMS..

look at this:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

I thought the 996 TT was free from any IMS problem...apparently not! and this is a 2004 model ! arf, me that wanted a TT to get away from IMS worries... will have to get a 997.2
Old 04-27-2010, 11:55 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The Turbo does NOT suffer the same IMS failure that M96.20 (9X6) suffers from....totally different design. For there to be an IMS failure in a Turbo (M96.7X), it is a rare happening.

ps. there is no way that PNCA is offering to warrant that car like the ad states with all the aftermarket crap he has on it.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:01 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by philooo
I thought the 996 TT was free from any IMS problem...apparently not! and this is a 2004 model ! arf, me that wanted a TT to get away from IMS worries... will have to get a 997.2
So let me get this straight: You're going to take a financial bath in your current car, pay a premium to replace it, and then suffer through the meat of the depreciation curve all over again. And this will somehow be cheaper than worrying about your intermediate shaft bearing?

This, friends, is why they give Nobel prizes to behavioral economists.

(Sorry, don't mean to be disrespectful, but sometimes humans pay stupid money to 'feel safe'. IMHO, you're either obsessing beyond reason - in which case, stop it - or you're looking for an excuse for a better car - in which case be honest about it rather than adding to everybody else's anxiety and depreciation.)
Old 04-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by philooo
look at this:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

That a clutch and flywheel were replaced (LWF too boot) were replaced at the same time and with the other mods I suspect this car saw track time.

"IMS" is too convenient a reason to give and much more acceptable -- given all the IMS talk -- than to say the engine blew up while on the track maybe because the driver missed a shift on the track.

The IMS is gear driven in the Turbo engine vs. chain driven in the NA 996 engine and furthermore doesn't have the ball bearing the NA 996 engine has. This doesn't make the IMS in the Turbo engine indestructible but given the number of these cars around and the age and number of miles they're racking up and for some the engine hp mods they receive the usage they're subjected to it doesn't appear the IMS is a weak link in the Turbo engine.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:04 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
So let me get this straight: You're going to take a financial bath in your current car, pay a premium to replace it, and then suffer through the meat of the depreciation curve all over again. And this will somehow be cheaper than worrying about your intermediate shaft bearing?

(Sorry, don't mean to be disrespectful, but sometimes humans pay stupid money to 'feel safe'. IMHO, you're either obsessing beyond reason - in which case, stop it - or you're looking for an excuse for a better car - in which case be honest about it rather than adding to everybody else's anxiety and depreciation.)

Those of us in the PSY world call this anxiety

Drive the car, love it, live long.

Own the car, worry about it, live short.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:21 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

just about any part of an engine can fail.... if its in there, it has a chance of failure.... in any engine.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:22 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP

+1. All in a new engine installed at the dealer with a full 2 year warranty is $21,000 CAD max; and that's only "if" it fails. I don't see how trading in your perfectly good 996 for a 997.2 is going to cost less than that.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:21 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't think the motors used in the Turbo and the GT3 had intermediate shafts at all...

At any rate, one ad on auto trader doesn't exactly indicate a inherent problem now does it?

Use some sense man!
Old 04-28-2010, 11:46 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I see that me trading my 996 for a TT or a 997.2 got you guys going

i am keeping my 996 for now and couple years hopefully. I think that I love it so much, the turbo kick in the *** is something I'll certainly consider. But am not that crazy to sell it because of the IMS reason only... instead I am forking $3k for good warranty ..arghhh

But at least that way I can drive the hell out of it.

I just though it was interesting to see this guy with a TT and IMS problem while the common agreement seems to be that the TT are kind of indestructible.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:11 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The IMS issue may have been the "knocking" noise that the crank and cam gears suffer from. Porsche replaced (some) gears to reduce this noise if the customer complained.
Later TT models have different gears to reduce the noise. It's not a failure, just annoying to hear the noise when idling or pulling away from a stop.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper
I didn't think the motors used in the Turbo and the GT3 had intermediate shafts at all...

At any rate, one ad on auto trader doesn't exactly indicate a inherent problem now does it?

Use some sense man!
Based on the engine drawings I've seen and the parts callout the engines have a layshaft, not a full length shaft, which is gear driven by the crank and which in turn provides chain drive to the exhaust and intake camshafts.

The layshaft is short -- roughly I would estimate only a 3rd the length of the engine -- and resides in the rear of the engine under the crankshaft.

The layshaft has plain bearings which are pressure fed oil of of course and one bearing uses a shoulder that matches up with a face on the large gear wheel for thrust/end play control. The gear wheels are not straight cut gears but have angled teeth which makes the gears quieter (important in a street engine) but the gears do impart to thrust loads to the crank and layshaft.

I have see a Turbo engine with tranny removed but I can't recall seeing the rear of the engine with the flywheel removed.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:46 AM
bburnrover
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 turbo cab

The Megzer engine in renowned for its strength and build quality the engine does not have IMS problems like the carerra models it won some mega endurance races and was built by a genius.

Someone is sending you up its a good way to get people to lay out for another insurance policy money makes the world go round.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:15 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bburnrover
The Megzer engine in renowned for its strength and build quality the engine does not have IMS problems like the carerra models it won some mega endurance races and was built by a genius.

Someone is sending you up its a good way to get people to lay out for another insurance policy money makes the world go round.
6 years ago...hope he figured it out by now.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:02 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My 2cents

Excuse me, guys...don't tell me that Rennlisters actually believe autotrader ads!

Caveat Emptor, I say.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:17 AM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

6 years ago I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.......

Quick Reply: Porsche 996 Turbo is apparently not free from IMS..