Sponsored by:

Quick question re: Cabriolets

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:59 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by s_kelly
Having a cab will help you resist the temptation to track the car out. To me, this is a good thing.
What you talking about Willis??? I learned in my CAB, tracked the **** out of it and it performed flawlessly. Not sure why you think the way you do.

The great thing about our CAB is that in the non winter months we have a drop top car and there is NOTHING quite like that feeling. Then in the winter months, with the hard top fitted, we have a coupe. It's like having two cars!
Old 06-24-2010, 10:29 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Having a cab will help you resist the temptation to track the car out. To me, this is a good thing.
Maybe if you're going to use it as a dedicated track car. But at least here in the Carolinas region the PCA allows cabs to be used in DEs. I learned a lot about my car by taking it on the track as a result. But of course you have to do it with the top up and windows down.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:53 AM
GolfTango3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why own a Porsche if your aren't going to race it?
Old 06-24-2010, 07:38 PM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

After three 911 coupes, I bought a '99 cab w/removable hardtop...best of both worlds! FYI-I've never heard a Cab owner say "Gee, I wish I had a coupe." Think about that.

relinuca
Old 06-24-2010, 08:00 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by relinuca
After three 911 coupes, I bought a '99 cab w/removable hardtop...best of both worlds! FYI-I've never heard a Cab owner say "Gee, I wish I had a coupe." Think about that.

relinuca
Very true!

I'm shopping for another P car right now, to replace the '99 Cab I just sold. I keep looking at TTs and GT3s, thinking I'd go for the ultimate. Then when getting really serious and visualizing driving my new car, I keep thinking the most important element is missing, leaving the hard top at home.

I test drove a mint low mile TT earlier in the week, the car pinned me in my seat and was taught as could be, but actually pailed in comparison to driving my old Cab with PSE and hearing the sweet 6 near readline with the wind in my hair.

So, I guess the most important thing in my next purchase will be having a Cab again. I most always love driving without the top even if it's 5 mile drive, I'll drop it and put it up when the car is unattended. As far as the additional power and cornering prowess of the TT and GT3, in reality I had wished for it only a handfull of times in 7 years.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:02 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

FWIW, Autotrader has an '04 TT Cab (Tip tho); 7K miles, nicely optioned, I think it could sell for mid 50's
Old 06-25-2010, 11:58 PM
Harmony Jim
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick questions re: Cabriolets

I don't know about killing you instantly. They have a standard roll over protection system that is supposed to protect you if that happens. Two big steel "roll bars" behind the seats in the rear cowl pop up instantly to act as a proper roll bar and protect the passenger compartment. I sure like my 2000 Cab., real nice on a sunny warm day. Even when cool, turn on the seat warmers, and turn up the heat, and it is very comfortable.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:36 AM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a cab!

You're in LA, it would be a crime not to enjoy the weather with the top down!!

As for it being referred to as girlie on this thread, well if it was a Boxter I'd agree .

It's true that the look of a stock coupe is better than the same model stock cab. but that just gives you all the more reason to customize it and make it uniquely yours.
Not to mention you can always put a hardtop on, I store mine at the P. dealer and they put it on or take it off whenever I want (takes 5 min.!)

And since your interior is much more part of the overall look (because it's so visible) that gives you a whole new aspect of manipulating the look and feel you want give the car.

Lets face it if you own one 911 (that's not a dedicated track car) chances are you'll take to the track as often as SUV owners take theirs off road...

Hell the unobstructed exhaust note alone is enough to get a cab.

I looooooooove P. cab. !!!

Cheers,

Sid.

Ps. the first pic. doesn't have the side skirts or wing but you get the idea of what a cab looks like with a hardtop.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Quick question re: Cabriolets