996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Quick question re: Cabriolets

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:00 PM
mavthenav
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a Targa, whats that I hear you ask, a what ? Yep They make a car thats a coupe with a huge piece of glass that moves and opens you to the world of open air driving.

Best of both worlds, keeps the classic 911 lines while allowing you to open the roof at speeds up to +150mph and then close it when the rain starts without even a whisper of slowing down.

Think Cabs are hard to find, try finding a Targa 996 or 997 , and when you do they won't be cheap.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:26 PM
goliver
Three Wheelin'

The Targas are very cool and collectible imo. I'd love to own one.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:35 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I know we all have opinions here but personally I think a stock 996 looks better as a cabrio than a coupe. To me the cabrio gives the look of the car a little more variety (for lack of a better term) than the coupe that can look bland at times.

Now with an aero kit I think the coupe does look better but that's a different story.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:58 PM
tgt40
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^^^^^
And there you have it!

Well I wanted a coupe at first too but Wifey basically said it's a convertible (she don't know 'Cab') or nothing so I had to 'compromise' - lucky me! I thought the coupe was better looking by a wide margin at first but I must admit the roof line doesn't bother me at all now and in fact I like it a lot and I LOVE the cab with the top down. RE: looks, (oh geez, Ed will surely chime in here) I had to get over the 'new style' looks of the 996 after having my SC but you know, I actually prefer the new body style now.

At the end of the day it's still up to you but I would be really surprised if, after you have one for a while, you have any regrets - especially after driving it!

Take the plunge, come on in, the sauerkraut is fine!
Old 04-26-2010, 11:56 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
I know we all have opinions here but personally I think a stock 996 looks better as a cabrio than a coupe. To me the cabrio gives the look of the car a little more variety (for lack of a better term) than the coupe that can look bland at times.

Now with an aero kit I think the coupe does look better but that's a different story.
I'm with you there.

I have always thought the cab, top up or down, looks better than the coupe. The coupe has beautiful and graceful lines, but there is something really appealing visually about the cab. I'm not quite sure quite how to describe the feeling it generates, but it definately does, and it's pleasent. I felt this even when looking at coupes before I decided on a cab.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:43 AM
emdog
Instructor

Buy a cab. I just drove 300 miles from Los Angeles up the 101 freeway northbound, with the top down, most fun I've had driving in a car since I first got my license. The cabs also look wider in back even when they r narrow, must be the top or something, don't know but it looks cool. And you can also add the hardtop and it makes it look unique.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:08 AM
Hambisa
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's why nothing beats a Porsche Cab on a perfect Southern California morning. This past Sunday the local PCA did a back roads tour which included Mount Palomar, and a roadside photographer caught my car doing what it loves and was built for. I almost felt sorry for the folks smothered in their coupes, but I know they were having fun, too!
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2010, 01:58 PM
pcastator
Intermediate

I agree with Bailey-Also much easier to clean the interior-with tio down and also takes less time to wash. The hard top is designed so well it makes it feel like a coupe when on
Old 06-22-2010, 03:36 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbybailey
Here are the awesomes of Cabriolet life:

1) going 75 in a cabriolet feels like 150
2) the engine sounds even better in a cab
3) you get to mess your old lady's hair up real bad, and because of all the wind and engine noise, her squawking will be less audible
4) it's easier for a girl to straddle you in a cab because there is more clearance
5) when chicks eye-f**k you, they are probably thinking about straddling you because they think you're rich
6) it's really fun to sing along to old country songs with the top down, I suggest you try: John Prine - Paradise, David Allen Coe - You Never Even Call Me By My Name, Hank 2- Family Tradition
7) it's also fun to sing along to other songs
8) The sun is coming out, so I am going to submit this post and go drive with the top down to breakfast and get some crepes
HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! LOVE IT
Old 06-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I commute to work with the top down most days, it's the ultimate attitude adjustment machine.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:36 PM
calbo
Advanced

I've owned three soft tops, but none of them were P-cars.
Like others here, I think the "theft" issue doesn't hold water. If I were smarter than the ghetto-variety car thief, I'd avoid cabs because chances are they'd have equal or better theft protection than their fixed-roof counterparts, and their owners would likely be more careful as to what is and isn't stored in their cars. I for one never kept anything of value in my cabriolets when I owned them. CDs, breathmints, a photocopy of the registration and an insurance card (no sensitive information other than my name). And they'd all be locked up anyway.

Originally Posted by bobbybailey
9) you will be tempted to ride with the top down and windows up but you mustn't do this, as it looks retarded
Other suggestions for first-time cabriolet owners:
- Don't hold your hands up like you're in a roller coaster. Prevent grown-up passengers from doing this too. It's uncool. Other cabrio drivers will look at you and think "converti-virgin."
- In addition to a ballcap, keep lip balm, sunblock, a hairbrush, hair ties, and an extra pair of sunglasses in the glove box... y'know, just in case you see a cute hitchhiker.
- If you park with the top down, lock the glove box and center console (aka armrest) box.
- If you park with the top down, try to avoid garden sprinklers.
- Don't say the car's topless, say the t*tties is out.
- From personal experience: don't tailgate a horse trailer while your top is down.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:11 PM
allenh5
6th Gear

I had a '03 Boxster S and now a '01 996 Cab......wouldn't own a Porsche with a hard top, but that is a personal preference. Nothing like putting the top down and cruising.

And for the comment about a cab being a girlie car....it is, put the top down and the girlies all want to ride!!
Old 06-23-2010, 11:00 AM
GolfTango3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by calbo
- In addition to a ballcap, keep lip balm, sunblock, a hairbrush, hair ties, and an extra pair of sunglasses in the glove box... y'know, just in case you see a cute hitchhiker.
Agreed, but cute hitchhikers are just as likely to kill and mutilate you as non-cute ones. Perhaps, some might say, even more likely.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:25 PM
johonole
Instructor

Default cabs

If the top don't drop, you don't want it.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:51 PM
s_kelly
Advanced

Having a cab will help you resist the temptation to track the car out. To me, this is a good thing.

Quick Reply: Quick question re: Cabriolets