Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Quick question re: Cabriolets

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010 | 01:02 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

cab is the best choice when you live somewhere in a tempered climate (coastal california) I wouldn't buy on in Arizona or anywhere else where the temps reach 120 in the summer.
Personally I hate to drive a cab with the top up....too noisy and squeaky....but with the top down it is the best feeling ever....drove 120 miles last thursday on the way back it started raining.... but you can keep the top down on the highway driving over 50 an hour.... loved it!! until I hit some traffic.... top luckily closes pretty fast!! thank god for the smart top so I could close the top while driving...what would I have done otherwise.....
Old 04-25-2010 | 02:44 PM
greenshoe
Intermediate

Wow, thanks a lot for the replies!

Yes, it was just an observation -- it just seemed like so many of the photos on the discussion forums were of coupes, so I was just wondering, especially when I see quite a few listing for cabs in my area (but then again, that's a function of the environment I guess - SoCal).

I'd prefer a cab at this point, but not ruling out coupes either, depending on the car. At least here in LA, a Porsche isn't really as much of an attention grabber when there are so many luxury vehicles on the road -- so getting my hands on a 996 or 997 is purely for my own enjoyment -- if I wanted a true status symbol here I'd probably have to raid Jay Leno's collection (or borrow his Lotus haha).

Thanks again. I'm glad I found this site, and I've learned a lot so far just by reading all the various discussion threads on here. Cheers
Old 04-25-2010 | 07:11 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

only cab I would buy...

Old 04-25-2010 | 08:06 PM
solosailor
Advanced

Cab's are harder to come by, more expensive, vulnerable to theft, will kill you instantly if you wreck, beautiful, and in my mind, better off a mistress than the reality of owning her
Interesting OPINION. Lots of cabs to be had here out west. Vulnerable to theft how so more than a coupe, both have glass you know? Did you read some stats to that effect? Will kill you instantly? Yeah, that's an intelligent statement..... you are soooo over-reaching with this one. I'm not sure what 'wrecks' you have seen but rarely is a car upside-down and anyway the 996 has roll bars.
Old 04-25-2010 | 11:58 PM
AmirShaikh
Instructor

I love my cab....driving top down is an amazing feeling. Only regret is never owning one when I was in California :P.....in NJ I get limited use.

The theft stuff is overrated....easy solution is just close your top when you park somewhere.
Old 04-26-2010 | 01:40 AM
hopeforcash
Instructor

I'm a new P-car owner and have a 03 996 Cab manual. I love it

However, in Canada, I'm thinking it's like an outdoor swimming pool, probably get maximum topdown in only a few months when it's not too cold or not too hot. Surprisingly, it makes me feel warmer when I usually feel cold, and will see if it makes me feel cooler when it's actually hot this summer.
Old 04-26-2010 | 02:13 AM
goliver
Three Wheelin'

Well I do live in California so take this for what its worth. I have my top down way more than up. With the windscreen and the windows up you can be comfortable in the 30s with the heater on and up to the low 100s with the a/c on. As far as supper hot summer days, my car is black/black and the a/c is friggin awesome. Cools the car on the hottest days better than anything else I've ever owned.

Cab being girlie is news to me. I get nice ride from young boys/girls to geriatrics and every age in between.

The theft thing is baffling as well. Most crooks in our neck of the woods are smash and grab types so it wouldn't matter. If you left your ipod in the car with the top down then some kid could grab it for sure.

With the PSE hack, and the top down it is pure driving nirvarna.

I'm sure coupes are stiffer but when you jack up the car with top up or down it is stiff enough to lift the wheel off the ground. No cowl shake to speak of even over the roughest of pavements.

This is my first Cab. I've had coupes and Targas. In my '80 Targa you could pinch your finger in the door gap while driving with the top off on glassy pavement. In the cab, the gap doesn't even move over wicked nasty pavement that makes my wifes CLS shudder albeit very slightly but its way softer sprung and a hardtop. These cars were designed from the beginning to be Cabs so they are built right.

Just my two cents worth,

Cheers,

Geoff
Old 04-26-2010 | 05:50 AM
nick49
Drifting

My cousin is in town from Indianapolis. She is 62 years old and I haven't seen her for a long time. I took her for a ride in my Cab up two fairly long canyons that ended up at Alta and Brighton, Utah. It was 62 degrees in the city and 20 degrees colder at the resorts. She kept saying, "this car is amazing, it's so much fun. I love this car, etc." She never mentioned it by name, and I don't really even think she knew what it was.

Had it been a coupe, I dont know if she would have even said anything. People that ride in my car sans top always comment on how fun and what a great riding experience it gives. In my opinion it makes a great car so much more so, like icing on the cake.

Last edited by nick49; 06-20-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-26-2010 | 10:15 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Aside from being a hard-core track vehicle, I don't believe the Cabrio really creates a lot of compromise for a Porsche driver. It is probably just as safe in an accident, just as likely to be targeted by thieves, and just as comfortable as a coupe.

But what it does offer is the illusion of a completely different vehicle when you put the top down!

The Cabrio top is also pretty robust so even in the winter you still feel comfortable in the cabin. Plus with the 2002+ model years the rear window is glass and has a defrost feature.

If you want a convertible, the 996 version is among one of the best out there - you won't be disappointed.
Old 04-26-2010 | 10:45 AM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

I'd love to have a cab for the driving experience but...

Well...

It's just so ugly. The gorgeous, classic lines of the 911 are completely butchered getting the convertible top in there and it just ruins everything. Sorry cab. guys.
Old 04-26-2010 | 11:05 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dave!
I'd love to have a cab for the driving experience but...

Well...

It's just so ugly. The gorgeous, classic lines of the 911 are completely butchered getting the convertible top in there and it just ruins everything. Sorry cab. guys.
I agree! I do have a convertible, too, but it's a Boxster. The Boxster was designed as a roadster rather than a coupe, and so the stylists could make the shapes and lines work as an open car. It's not perfect, but it seems to work better in soft-top configuration than a 911.
Old 04-26-2010 | 11:20 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

A 996 with the top down does have a slight "turtle" effect to the rear lines. The effect is slight and I'm looking forward.

Rag top up, it has a lot of lines reminiscent of a Speedster. I like it a lot.

The hard top is not very complimentary -- but sure is practical. If the lines bother you more than the practicality, don't use it.

Just too many good things to worry about the small ones.

Yet -- I understand that some people want coupes. I'd rather have more Porsches on the road than limit it to one flavor. How boring would that be?
Old 04-26-2010 | 11:48 AM
Doug996InKC
Racer

Originally Posted by Dave!
... so ugly. The gorgeous, classic lines of the 911 are completely butchered getting the convertible top in there and it just ruins everything. Sorry cab. guys.
I totally disagree! With the proper aftermarket bumpers, side skirts, wheels, etc. A cab can look awesome.
Old 04-26-2010 | 12:51 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

One big downside to a cab: stoplight homeless. In a coupe, you can see them as you approach and roll up the windows. In a cab, you can still roll up the windows, but it's not much help. [same goes for the rose/papre/water sellers, etc.].

-td
Old 04-26-2010 | 12:55 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Doug996InKC
I totally disagree! With the proper aftermarket bumpers, side skirts, wheels, etc. A cab can look awesome.
Maybe it can be made to look awesome, but not necessarily better.

Quick Reply: Quick question re: Cabriolets