Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Installed: H&R Sport Springs (How-To Included)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 05:10 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by jlkline
I orederd a new set of rear shock (Sport) which it turns out are longer (about 1.5 inches) than the HDs, and now my HR springs wont fit without a lot of compression.

Is it possible to run without springs in the rear and if so, what kind of a ride can I expect?

Thanks for your quick response, folks? I'm in the middle of the job!
Perhaps your joking, but in case you aren't, NO! Springs support the car. Shocks just control oscillation, sometimes with a small amount of spring resistance from compressed gas.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:50 PM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You're right!

I'm an old air cooled guy, with torsion bar suspensions, so the whole multi link thing is a little new to me!

All back together now. I had to just compress the springs (H&Rs that were already on the car when I bought it) down more to be able to reassemble the shocks.

I did end up tearing the lower toe arm ball joint grease boot though. Can anyone recommend a replacement boot that would fit and seal well? I see universal one out there but thought there might be something a bit better and I'm not reat to replace the whole arm yet just to get a new ball joint!

Thanks again!
Old 11-07-2016, 04:48 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the DIY, I'm going with KW HAS though.
ECS sells this socket, easier to use an impact wrench on the top strut nut for cars with PASM. This way you can torque correctly.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Jnosol; 11-08-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:15 AM
stasha
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for reviving this thread. Timely, in that I'm planning on finally replacing mine.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:01 PM
Jnelso
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

OEM Frt upper strut mounts or Tarrett Camber Plates?. Installing B-8's and H&R Springs on my 1999 C-2, cant decide if I should use OEM strut mounts or pay the extra cost and install Tarrett Camber Plates or something similar. My goal is to get about -1.5 negative camber at the front, not sure I can do that with stock strut mounts. Track the car about 6 or 7 times a year, not a daily driver. Any feedback from similar installations would be appreciated. How about rear strut mounts, never see any discussion about them, I assume stock is OK with this setup.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:10 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

No! You can't run without springs...
Old 10-11-2017, 05:44 PM
joshb217
Rennlist Member

The poster mentioned this
"the only special tool you will need is a 21mm strut nut tool, which allows you to hold the strut in place while removing the 21mm strut nut on the top of the assembly. I purchased this from German Auto Parts - $42. http://www.germanautoparts.com/productdisplay/4970"
Is there an alternative tool for this? Anyone rent one from an auto parts store by chance?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:58 PM
Dpazos
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joshb217
The poster mentioned this
"the only special tool you will need is a 21mm strut nut tool, which allows you to hold the strut in place while removing the 21mm strut nut on the top of the assembly. I purchased this from German Auto Parts - $42. http://www.germanautoparts.com/productdisplay/4970"
Is there an alternative tool for this? Anyone rent one from an auto parts store by chance?
just an idea, but isn’t a spark plug socket 21mm? The too is designed to attach an open-tended wrench and then use a Hex key down through the opening for the socket wrench. You would not be able to use a torque wrench to torque it down.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:35 PM
joshb217
Rennlist Member

I began the process of replacing all my stock springs with the H&R's and also the front upper strut mounts and bearings. I'm now at a stopping point because I can't remove the bolt that attaches the lower part of the strut to the wheel carrier on either front side. It's extremely seized up. I've soaked it several of times with PB blaster also. Haven't attempted the rear struts yet. What i'm wondering is, is it even worth the fight of removing that lower bolt? Wouldn't it be possible to replace the upper strut and spring while it's still attached to the carrier at the bottom? (as it is in the picture) I've already got the spring popped off the bottom strut mounts so there is no need to compress it to remove them.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:05 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you tried heating it up?
Old 10-24-2017, 05:38 PM
joshb217
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
Have you tried heating it up?
I started to and then stopped because I read that should only be done as a last result because it can damage the aluminum wheel carrier.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:49 PM
nckwrnr
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would defintiely leave that bolt there then if your just changing springs and top mounts. Only reason to remove it all is if your changing the strut.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:27 PM
Audidude
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a seized shock tube in the lower coilover tube holder - couldn't budge it. Put it into very hot water - worked a treat.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:10 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by Audidude
I had a seized shock tube in the lower coilover tube holder - couldn't budge it. Put it into very hot water - worked a treat.
^This^ is a great idea! A "steamer" may work with a fine tip as well... definitely better than a torch/open flame... It took me a week of really hard work to get one of my strut to wheel carrier bolts out. Take your time so as not to damage the carrier... you'll get it eventually.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:54 PM
joshb217
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dporto
^This^ is a great idea! A "steamer" may work with a fine tip as well... definitely better than a torch/open flame... It took me a week of really hard work to get one of my strut to wheel carrier bolts out. Take your time so as not to damage the carrier... you'll get it eventually.
I agree. I might just give the hot water/steam a try. The mount nut is really seized on there also. They are on day 3 of soaking with PB Blaster on them. I've got a bad feeling they are going to strip.

Quick Reply: Installed: H&R Sport Springs (How-To Included)