Sponsored by:

Chopping stock springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 01:35 PM
eggodynamics
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4Scargo
I toyed with the idea of chopping springs. It's old school.

Another old school trick was to heat them up and collapse them to the length you wanted. They may lose tensil (sp) strength and become brittle and break. (I heard of someone welding on the little step on a Cessna 172 spring landing gear that eventually broke, OMG)

But, old school again, you can heat them up with an electric welder compress them to the height you want. If you do do it, let us know.

(or you can buy some used H&R's for about $200 and do it the "right" way)
Well my issue is that I only want about 1/2" drop, and all the spring kits lower over 1", which leaves me no option other than fully adjustable coil-overs. $$$
Old 01-14-2020, 06:13 PM
TurboJet
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eggodynamics
Well my issue is that I only want about 1/2" drop, and all the spring kits lower over 1", which leaves me no option other than fully adjustable coil-overs. $$$
I thinking about doing this same exact thing. I have GMG springs. They set too low and too soft compared to stock for my taste in ride quality and firmness. they are softer than stock springs due to progressive rate. see side by side.
I now wonder if cutting 1/4 a coil front and half a coil in the rear will give the car a nice 1/2 drop with proper stiffens very close to stock.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:21 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by nick49
A coil spring is like a torsion spring, in that by varying its length it will become weaker or stiffer. Shortening a coil spring will increase the rate of resistance. Building a fixture and putting the spring in press, heating a portion of the coil till red and compressing the spring enough to reduce the length at full extension may do it. Be prepared to reduce the bump stops and check for coil bind at max compression. Also take this as an experimental attempt to gain what you are after with a cheap and dirty method, realizing the integrety of the spring may be affected.

Not much middle ground with this method, very hard to get the height correct, and no going back. Cutting a small section at a time at the top of the spring wold be better. 1/2 coil or so isn’t going to affect the spring rate much, although the spring rate won’t go down. 1/2” is acceptable to try, Lots of on and off, if you cut too much it’s not going back on.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:43 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 746 Posts

Resurrecting a 10 year old thread and also bad idea. What in the world?

Quick Reply: Chopping stock springs