996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is AWD less fun to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:46 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Drive them both and decide which Porsche feels right for you...but don't buy a C4 if you're thinking about winter/snow conditions only, as you stated you hardly used 4WD in your truck. I've been impressed with the winter abilities of a rear drive C2 WITH dedicated snows.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:08 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I read an article that the c4 is faster on the track.... but the c2 is faster on the wet track. go figure.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:09 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd like to see that article.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Fiveoh
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As many have pointed out, it really depends on the how you drive and where you drive. If you haven't taken a professional driving class, I recommend it. The class will teach you many aspects of a vehicle and how it handles. It won't make you a true professional driver...experience is needed; however, the basic principles applies to all cars.

AWD, owned and operated many and I enjoy them more than the two wheel drive counterparts mainly because commerical roads aren't perfect. Even your standard highway possesses many hazards that diminish the grip of even the most technically perfect tires. Dust, dirt, sand, and uneven pavement will diminish the handling performance of the vehilce. The vehicle is only one part of the big equation to driving. Commercial roads aren't equal in quality to professional tracks.

Since I don't do track racing, I ere to the AWD on standard roads for more safety, piece of mind, and some compensation to performance handling inhibitors.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:18 AM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Carrera 4 or Carrera 2?

Tastes great or less filling?

Dessert topping or floor wax?

If it's on Top Gear, it must be true...

Old 04-19-2010, 10:39 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by smackboy1
If it's on Top Gear, it must be true...
As long as it isn't Clarkson commenting on the Porsche
Old 04-19-2010, 10:49 AM
LJpete
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven both on the same Autox course and personally prefer the more raw and direct feeling of the C2. The C4 (not C4s) I drove, felt heavier on turn in and a bit more reluctant to do what I wanted. I also had to modulate my driving style a bit as the increased mass made me push and braking wasn't as instant. The car was just less willing to rotate on the slower tight corners as compared to my car which (on stock alignment) can get TTOS on almost any corner I choose. With the C4 once understeer began you just had to dial it back and wait, be patient, open up the wheel and wait for the front end to bite again.

That being said, I was driving a students car and I know that her tire pressures weren't optimized since she had only done this 1 time previously so direct comparisons to my car with the pressure dialed in aren't really apples to apples. What can be taken away is that the steering feel wasn't as direct, the car (C4) felt heavier and slower to react to inputs. Overall, it was less tactile an experience.

If it where me, I would go with a C2 as I like cars that are lighter and offer more feedback. If your not into that kind of thing or the car will purely be a streat car the C4 is just fine and would also serve you well. My 2 cents adjusted for inflation.

Last edited by LJpete; 04-19-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:18 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
I'd like to see that article.
evo: March 1999 Carrera 2 vs Carrera 4, Comparison Test

So this is the Mk1 996
C2 - traction control
C4 - PSM

Bottom Line

Wet Circle, moderate friction
c2 16.51
c4 17.42

Wet Circle, low friction
c2 26.31
c4 27.02

Wet Handling Circuit (Mira Wet Grip Circuit)
c2 48.73
c4 50.04

Dry Handling Circuit (Dunlop Handling Circuit)
c2 68.15
c4 68.09

Maybe, this was more of a traction control vs PSM in the wet/dry.... but this is what it is.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:36 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I think either car could be fun to drive, depending upon what constitutes fun.

I, a lover of high performance cars, former motorcycle roadracer, adrenaline junkie, extreme sports participant, rock and ice climber, perfer the C2, especially the lighter Mk1s.

My accountant, would perfer the C4. To him, fun must be safe. If there is potential danger, it should be addressed and not an issue. He would never experiment with a car to approach the limits of handling, tire traction, or braking. He would also stay well below the redline.

We talked about this very thing at the bar last night over a beer. He has a new Subaru Outback with 10k miles and told me how well it preformed when he accelerated hard up to around 75mph. He said the car felt in its element. I asked him how it felt near redline, he said the highest he reved it was about 1000 below it, ever. His previous car was a Lincoln.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:38 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I think you are right. They were comparing TC versus PSM. The C2 without TC would not have performed as well.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:17 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by breakdown
For those that have driven both cars, does AWD make a Porsche less fun to drive?

[...]

Is a RWD car more fun to toss around on a day to day basis? I'll admit to enjoy sliding the rear end around quite a bit when the conditions call for it.
If you are in BC, you might consider the AWD anyway. You can do donuts with the C2, but you will drive the AWD more in the winter than the C2.

Both are fun to drive. Just in different ways.

As for tossing the car around on a daily basis - what? and seriously?

-td
Old 04-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 825 Posts

Remember that the C4/C4S cars are really rear wheel drive for all intents & purposes until wheel spin or slippage is detected, and then the differentials direct more propulsion to the fronts. So on track both are very fun, in different ways as has been said above. Same as on the street. In BC, an C4 is probably a good choice, and would actually be more fun, since it is more confidence inspiring in more of the conditions you face. Here in Texas, the C2 would be my choice.

As for Rohrl's times on the 'Ring, remember that the C4/C4S is significantly heavier than the C2. So the difference in lap times is much more likely due to WEIGHT than anything else. Suggesting otherwise, for a difference of 6 seconds over a 13+ mile lap, is silly.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 04-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When I bought mine, I specifically looked for the 4S v. the 2 because of the wide-body styling. Whether AWD or RWD, it's really hard to get the tail to spin out in the driveway.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Especially.....if.....you.......seldom.......drive ......it. Sorry Phil, just another bad habit.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:04 PM
missmy993
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I have C4. If I did it again I would go C2 not for any performance issues but for maintenance issues. I have not had any problems but it is one more transfer case oil to change, I worry about it going bad and I have to carry around the extra weight. Any parts in the front end are C4 parts so there are less of them. The transmission is more. It adds more complexity to anything in the front: shocks, springs, bearings etc. due to the driveshafts, which have boots that can/will split. You get the ideal. On the othe hand my car, a 1999, has PSM, which mostly eliminates the rear end swinging out. At track days with a wet track the C4 rules.

Quick Reply: Is AWD less fun to drive?